J Motor Valve Adjustment Questions?

More
31 May 2012 01:10 #526032 by badrhino
Replied by badrhino on topic J Motor Valve Adjustment Questions?
Larry,

They would spin so I think these are good.

Thanks

Ryan

1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2012 22:57 #526674 by badrhino
So I found out that I need a 2.40 and a 2.70 to do a valve adjustment since the rest will just stay where they're at or be switched with another. I ordered them and got them. Can I take all of the shims out and place them in the right valves all at once by using the valve shim tool or do you have to take the cams off if switching a bunch of the shims at the same time? I just didn't know if you should turn the motor over with a shim out of the top of the bucket? Can it cause any damage to the cam?

1980 KZ1000 with a 1982 KZ1000J motor with 1100 pistons and heads, Vance & Hines, 29MM Smooth Bores, Work in Progress
Franken Z!

More
04 Jun 2012 14:16 #526810 by badrhino
Will it hurt the cams or buckets to turn the bike over with all of the shims out at once or do you have to replace them one at a time?

Franken Z!

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
04 Jun 2012 14:50 #526813 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic J Motor Valve Adjustment Questions?
dont run a cam lobe over a bucket without a shim in it B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
04 Jun 2012 14:59 #526815 by badrhino
How are you supposed to swap shims from on cylinder to another if need be without doing so. Do you have to take the cams out. If that's the case why did I waste money on the Motion Pro tool?

Franken Z!

• wireman
  • User
More
04 Jun 2012 15:08 #526817 by wireman
If you end up with a couple that are pointed the same way you can hold the buckets down and pull the shims to swap them its ok,but dont let the cam lobe roll across a bucket without a shim in it.
the cam lobe will catch on the inside ridge of the bucket without a shim in there and do bad things to that nice shiny cam lobe. :sick: :blink: :( :unsure: :pinch: :S :blush:
Thats why I keep extra shims laying around for doing them. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
04 Jun 2012 15:11 #526819 by badrhino
Well, I have a few that need to be swapped and two new ones that need to go in so it looks like I might be removing or at least loosening up the cams to get the shims all switched out. I don't think it is possible to get them all moved around without doing so. :(

Franken Z!

• wireman
  • User
More
04 Jun 2012 15:12 #526820 by wireman

badrhino wrote: How are you supposed to swap shims from on cylinder to another if need be without doing so. Do you have to take the cams out. If that's the case why did I waste money on the Motion Pro tool?

I use the cam to push down the bucket and shim then I have a little wedge I put between the edge of bucket and the cam(not the journal)to hold it down while I back the the cam up then I swap the shims and reverse process to remove the wedge. B)

• wireman
  • User
More
04 Jun 2012 15:13 #526822 by wireman
Check your pm box B)

More
04 Jun 2012 17:23 #526859 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic J Motor Valve Adjustment Questions?
Oh...secrets...I just hate secrets :kiss:

Larry C.

• wireman
  • User
More
04 Jun 2012 17:41 #526861 by wireman
I sent him my phone # so I could explain how to make some wedges to hold the buckets down :P

More
05 Jun 2012 20:44 #527116 by badrhino
Wow I am still only getting about .04 in the #1 intake and I went down 2 sizes. It was <.04 before and the bucket would turn. It should be reading >.08 you would think. Looks like I need to order some more shims. :huh:

Franken Z!