big bore kits

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
26 May 2012 21:36 #525022 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic big bore kits
I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to John Pearson numerous times and hours. He lives 30 mins from me and had him re-furb my MarkII crank and race cut my trans. John is Smart, friendly and serious about his work. No better than John. All the old drag guys are very friendly and like to see the new blood riding old school.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Powerstroke_fan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2012 08:20 - 27 May 2012 08:27 #525115 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic big bore kits
I am running a j model head currently with my mk11 bottom end and 1075 kit. and would like to switch it over to my new bottom end after i get it done. and i was talking bout mounting the fans to the cooler. I d hate to see you sell the kaw andy. I still gotta make it up your way sometime. I will talk to john and see what he charges to do the work. I dont wanna have a large fortune in this. i know its gonna be expensive either way but i cant go all out. if so id just buy a falicon crank lol but i got to looking at the mk11 bottom end i bought last night. and with the oil pan off it looks like the trans is already backcut but iam not sure but the dogs deffitenly look like they angle in. ill know more when i get it apart hopefully tonight. hopefully it does.I got to looking and someone had put some money in the motor. it has heavy duty cyclinder studs manual cam chain tensior and had a electronic ignition for sure.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 27 May 2012 08:27 by Powerstroke_fan.

More
27 May 2012 11:24 #525148 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic big bore kits
Honestly I think the 1200 kits get a bad wrap for running too hot. Granite, your not going to sit in stop and go traffic on a 100 deg. day and expect it to live forever but if you can contain yourself and not tug on the motor very hard they deal with it pretty well. Horse power is heat and rolling on that throttle is making heat. It's harder staying off that throttle than not looking at a playboy model crossing the street. They tend to make so much low end grunt it's addicting but that was the biggest thing I noticed that built heat fast in mine and I've seen bad tunes build as much heat. You do have to split the cases to bore them and it is the cheapest piece of mind welding the crank and cutting the trans. Neither are absolutely necessary till you make them hook but things tend to change and you will find yourself trying to make it hook! It's the evolution of playing with them, never totally satisfied. It's a whole new creature at that size and pure FUN!

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
27 May 2012 11:32 #525151 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic big bore kits
Maybe off topic but what about Turbo configurations regarding heat...
Is there a (known/measured) Significant temp build up difference in comparisons to big block builds...?

Hmmm, me wonder... :unsure:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
27 May 2012 11:46 #525155 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic big bore kits
I'd like to know that one also, We always done small motors. Buddy made 297 hp with a 1045 way back in 92 so never saw the need but I'm going 1200 with the Z1R so might be useful info.

Les

More
27 May 2012 11:50 #525157 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic big bore kits
Unless for drag night sleeper / bragging rights :S seems a Turbo would be about the same price once all components are compiled.

Where the hell is Plumi (He likes Turbo's).... :whistle:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
27 May 2012 11:58 #525162 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic big bore kits
Turbos run hotter depending on where theyre mounted,an exhaust pipe run along side #1 cylinder and a big ol hair dryer mounted right in behind motor is going to create heat no way around it.
But at the same time a typical turbo motor with a relatively small amount of boost will still run on pump gas and will idle like a stock bike at a stop light keeping the temp lower versus some tempermental 1075 motor with 13:1 compression .435 cams and a big set of flatslides.
Not to mention the fact that even a small turbo will make enough power to outgun the chassis/suspension not to mention street legal rubber that will fit under most kz's! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
27 May 2012 13:45 #525193 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic big bore kits
OK, when running the J head on a KZ/MK11 lower end, you would use the J model piston to have the correct dome and valve pocket angles and location. However , the pin hole in the J piston is lower than a KZ because the J motor uses a shorter con rod.

So you run a spacer under the block and it all fits nicely.

• Powerstroke_fan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2012 15:22 #525210 by Powerstroke_fan
ya iam wondering about kz pistons because i am running them with that 1075 kit and they clear without a spacer. Iam running stock base gasket.So do they make a 1197 kit in a j model piston? The way jay talks and the other company i talked with make it sound like they do? but never actually said they do. I just told them what i wanted and what i had and they said run j model pistons, the one company even said they were $30 more? but others say they dont? so i dont know whats going on with them? Some one elighten me please.

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
27 May 2012 17:00 #525221 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic big bore kits
Ive only seen 1170 kits listed for j-motors as a stocked item all the places Ive tried over the years but like anything else Im sure you could find them if youre willing to pay the price. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Powerstroke_fan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2012 17:10 - 27 May 2012 17:16 #525222 by Powerstroke_fan
ok guys i just picked up my mk11 bottom end and i think i might have excellent news. Iam positive the trans is back cut. it looks like the crank is welded. The only thing iam not sure if its good or not is that the cases have already been bored. It measures around 84.5 id on the case holes. I will post pics in just a sec to get you guys to confirm everything.

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

Last edit: 27 May 2012 17:16 by Powerstroke_fan.

• Powerstroke_fan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2012 17:24 #525227 by Powerstroke_fan
I know some of the pictures are hard to see like the one pic of the welded crank but if you look carefully i think you can see it

Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
And Much Much more- SOLD

Attachments: