oil kooler question 79 kz1000

More
23 May 2012 14:54 #524274 by davem
oil kooler question 79 kz1000 was created by davem
How much oil should ther be in the oil cooler lines. I disconnected the lines where theye connect to the engine case and no oil came out . The lines arewhere wet inside but i thought they should be full of oil. Is this right?
I turned the engine over a couple times but just a small drip came out of the engine where the hoses connect. I did this with carbs off and plug wires disconnected.
Any insight on this would be appreciated.
When i took the gas tank off even tge frame of the bike was almost to hot to touch. Is this normal?

1979 Kz1000 B3 LTD
1997 Kawasaki police 1000
1985 kz1000p4 project-sold

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
23 May 2012 15:04 #524277 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic oil kooler question 79 kz1000
I believe the cooler should drain once motor is shut off. Are the cooler fittings on the bottom or top , as to properly drain the cooler for a complete oil change you dont want to trap oil in the cooler. As far a s frame being hot, I would say its normal as its so close to the motor and exhaust. Heats gotta go somewhere.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
23 May 2012 15:54 - 23 May 2012 15:55 #524288 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic oil kooler question 79 kz1000
Did your bike come stock with the cooler or is it aftermarket? Just want to make sure the lines are connected to the engine at the correct places and you are indeed getting flow through the cooler when the engine is running. Some guys connect their lines, one at the oil pressure switch mount behind the cylinder block, and the other at a special oil test port on the side of the engine. The two positions meet up at the same place inside the engine and therefore no oil is forced through the cooler. The two lines should be connected behind the cylinder block, one at the port on the top of the case and the other where the oil pressure switch is. Special fittings are needed.

If the bike came stock with a cooler and/or if it is indeed connected properly then:

If the cooler is mounted with the lines on its bottom, the oil will drain back into the pan if there is not a valve in place to prevent this when the engine is stopped. This is a concern to some folks as they are afraid of starting a dry engine, that concern is a hot topic of debate and has been for years.
Last edit: 23 May 2012 15:55 by DiamondSkyBlue1000.

More
23 May 2012 22:43 #524376 by davem
Replied by davem on topic oil kooler question 79 kz1000

DiamondSkyBlue1000 wrote: Did your bike come stock with the cooler or is it aftermarket? Just want to make sure the lines are connected to the engine at the correct places and you are indeed getting flow through the cooler when the engine is running. Some guys connect their lines, one at the oil pressure switch mount behind the cylinder block, and the other at a special oil test port on the side of the engine. The two positions meet up at the same place inside the engine and therefore no oil is forced through the cooler. The two lines should be connected behind the cylinder block, one at the port on the top of the case and the other where the oil pressure switch is. Special fittings are needed.

If the bike came stock with a cooler and/or if it is indeed connected properly then:

If the cooler is mounted with the lines on its bottom, the oil will drain back into the pan if there is not a valve in place to prevent this when the engine is stopped. This is a concern to some folks as they are afraid of starting a dry engine, that concern is a hot topic of debate and has been for years.

The cooler was on it when I bought it. It apears to be hooked up correctly behind the cylinder block. I think it is operating corectly based on the two responses I got here. I just wasnt sure and wanted to make sure it was all set.
Thanks

1979 Kz1000 B3 LTD

More
23 May 2012 22:45 #524377 by davem
Replied by davem on topic oil kooler question 79 kz1000

Street Fighter LTD wrote: I believe the cooler should drain once motor is shut off. Are the cooler fittings on the bottom or top , as to properly drain the cooler for a complete oil change you dont want to trap oil in the cooler. As far a s frame being hot, I would say its normal as its so close to the motor and exhaust. Heats gotta go somewhere.

The fittings are on top of the cooler.
Thanks for your help

1979 Kz1000 B3 LTD