after each ride, wont start without a ritual of fi

More
24 May 2012 09:44 - 24 May 2012 09:45 #524480 by Patton
Are battery fluids at proper levels?

Perhaps the battery is being slowly discharged (for whatever reason) while riding, and is requiring several hours to self-recoup, but until then remains relatively weak, whereby power to the coils is diminished while cranking over with the electric starter.

If bike has a kick starter, would try using it instead of the electric starter.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 May 2012 09:45 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: indianajames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2012 10:28 #524497 by loudhvx
That's one of the weird symptoms my bike developed when I was using paper fuel filters. Sometimes opening the gas cap seemed to help. Once the fuel started flowing it was fine for awhile, but after parked, while still hot, it acted like it was out of gas (because the carbs were empty, or too low).

More
24 May 2012 11:09 #524511 by LarryC

loudhvx wrote: That's one of the weird symptoms my bike developed when I was using paper fuel filters. Sometimes opening the gas cap seemed to help. Once the fuel started flowing it was fine for awhile, but after parked, while still hot, it acted like it was out of gas (because the carbs were empty, or too low).

See that...you never know what simple thing can cause a problem. Often those little things get over looked. Good Catch :)

Larry C.

More
24 May 2012 11:31 - 24 May 2012 11:35 #524515 by Patton

indianajames wrote: ...fuel filter and air filter are new....

Have long enjoyed successful use of this type filter:

Attachment filterZ1.jpg not found

Am thinking there's no paper or glue inside that might possibly deteriorate from exposure to "ethanol" gasoline.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 May 2012 11:35 by Patton.

• indianajames
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2012 06:58 #524674 by indianajames
Replied by indianajames on topic after each ride, wont start without a ritual o
thanks guys, i dont have much time after work , but weekend is here! i have checked spark at plugs ,that is why i think its not getting gas. my fuel filter was matched with metal can type that was on there. gonna pull tank and do a flow check. thanks for video loud hvx! one more time with old battery . any way the valves could do this? also the 14 to 14.5 , is that across batt terminals or negative to hot side of coils ? thanks again and ill let everyone know what finally fixes this , no matter how embarrassing .

More
25 May 2012 07:32 #524678 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic after each ride, wont start without a ritual o
Check the battery voltage. Then check the voltage where the yellow/red wires go to the coils under the gas tank.

I always check the voltage going into the kill switch and the voltage coming out of the coil switch. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
25 May 2012 09:36 #524690 by Patton

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
25 May 2012 10:08 #524696 by lemo32
When is the last time you did a valve adjustment? if your valves where a little tight as the bike gets hot metal expands making them a lot tighter, causing your valves to hang open.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

More
27 May 2012 19:25 #525247 by kbeau37
I'll be watching to see what fixes your problem. I have the same bike and it's developed the same symptoms. I was going to clean the carbs and check valve clearances anyway so I started doing that. I was thinking that either the fuel level in the bowls or the valve clearances might be the problem. I haven't checked the fuel levels yet, but I just found out I have 3 valves with zero clearance so I'm hoping that when I correct that the starting issue will go away. Good luck and keep us informed.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken

1982 KZ750H3

• indianajames
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2012 10:23 #525331 by indianajames
Replied by indianajames on topic after each ride, wont start without a ritual o
ok ,ckecked battery , still takes a charge , but only reads 12.2 volts at coils . cleaned connections to coils , no change. purchased new battery, starts immediately !#&@% bastard! dont have have a clue why a battery tests good , takes a charge and wont start a bike. thanks to every one for the help! now after this i have a clutch problem but ill start a new thread.

More
28 May 2012 10:35 #525334 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic after each ride, wont start without a ritual o
The batteries will just wear out. It might have good voltage but the cranking amps are down. Glad you got that sorted out. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
28 May 2012 10:48 - 28 May 2012 10:51 #525338 by Patton

indianajames wrote: ok ,ckecked battery , still takes a charge , but only reads 12.2 volts at coils . cleaned connections to coils , no change. purchased new battery, starts immediately !#&@% bastard! dont have have a clue why a battery tests good , takes a charge and wont start a bike. thanks to every one for the help! now after this i have a clutch problem but ill start a new thread.

A proper "load test" should show true condition of the battery.

In order to obtain a proper load test, the battery should first be serviced to assure correct fluid levels and trickle charged (overnight) to attain its best charged condition.

Then, without any further use, the battery is ready for a load test.

The guy doing the testing at AutoZone will presumably perform the test correctly on a load testing machine that's properly functioning.

Usually a good idea to have a new battery tested at the same visit so the load test results may be compared with each other.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 May 2012 10:51 by Patton.