82 750 Spectre won't start

• SpectreRob750
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2012 21:01 - 18 May 2012 21:13 #523229 by SpectreRob750
82 750 Spectre won't start was created by SpectreRob750
I replaced my spark plugs, battery, fuel, and replaced the air filter. It ran, but was erratic in the idle and would heat up and rev up on its own. I deleted the "EPA vacuum paraphernelia" (as advised by Patton) and removed the air filter (soaked in fuel since I left the gas valve open for 2 nights). The oil was contaminated so I changed that and the oil filter. Also, I removed the plugs and cleaned them, tested them for spark and put them back in. The bike seems like it wants to start, will barely start with starter fluid, but will not turn over on its own. Any ideas as to why this thing won't start up?
Last edit: 18 May 2012 21:13 by SpectreRob750.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2012 21:38 - 18 May 2012 21:41 #523236 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 82 750 Spectre won't start
You may have answered your own question - you removed the air filter. Also, since fuel was contaminating the oil etc. did you figure out why? Leaving the petcock on should not cause fuel to leak past the carbs unless something is wrong with them. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 18 May 2012 21:41 by 650ed.

More
18 May 2012 21:47 #523240 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 82 750 Spectre won't start

SpectreRob750 wrote: I replaced my spark plugs, battery, fuel, and replaced the air filter. It ran, but was erratic in the idle and would heat up and rev up on its own. I deleted the "EPA vacuum paraphernelia" (as advised by Patton) and removed the air filter (soaked in fuel since I left the gas valve open for 2 nights). The oil was contaminated so I changed that and the oil filter. Also, I removed the plugs and cleaned them, tested them for spark and put them back in. The bike seems like it wants to start, will barely start with starter fluid, but will not turn over on its own. Any ideas as to why this thing won't start up?

It's likely that excessive fuel was for whatever reason being allowed past the float valves, evidenced by air filter soaked in fuel and fuel-contaminated oil. Has this been corrected?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• SpectreRob750
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2012 22:13 #523247 by SpectreRob750
Replied by SpectreRob750 on topic 82 750 Spectre won't start
I am unsure if the issues has been corrected, I thought that this resulted from the petcock being left open. I guess I will have to remove the carbs again and check the floats?

More
18 May 2012 23:04 #523252 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 82 750 Spectre won't start
I would not remove the carbs. First I would do the clear tube test to see what the fuel level is set at - instructions can be found on this site by doing a search for "clear tube." If fuel level is too high or otherwise off you can drop the bowls and adjust float tangs. If the fuel level is set ok, I would drop the fuel bowls and clean the float valves. This can be done without removing the carbs. Clean the float valve needles and orifices with a non-abrasive cleaner (carb cleaner works well) and a Q-tip. While you have the bowl off make sure the overflow tubes are clear and not cracked. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)