clutch pull strength

More
16 May 2012 18:17 #522749 by Reichmanner
clutch pull strength was created by Reichmanner
Kz750 Ltd. Getting things back together and noticing how hard the clutch lever is to pull. I am it isn't crazy stiff or anything but no way your doing it with anything less than four fingers. I realize this isn't like the new bikes I'm used to but I still think its a bit excessive. What should be the feel at the lever? Should I be able to pull in the clutch with one or two ringers like I'm used to or is this just the nature of the beast so to speak? Thanks

1981 kz750 ltd (Project BOB)
1982 kz750 Spectra (Project Street Fighter)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2012 20:35 #522765 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic clutch pull strength
Remove the engine sprocket cover, the throw out mechanism is located on the inside, it fits over the clutch push rod.

The throw out mechanism probably needs cleaning & re-greasing. While you're in there, inspect the wiring fron the alternator,the neutral switch, and possible the oil pressure sensor wiring.

How's the clutch cable look? No frayed strands or excessive bends?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
16 May 2012 21:08 #522771 by Starlifter
Replied by Starlifter on topic clutch pull strength
Had the same problem. Replaced the clutch cable and lubed before install. Greased the throw out mechanism under the sprocket cover. Still does not pull as easy as my goldwing clutch but is 200% better. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
16 May 2012 21:36 - 16 May 2012 21:44 #522778 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic clutch pull strength
How old is the clutch ?

How does it feel when you pull in the clutch, Smooth or rough ?

Maybe new clutch springs, but clean and grease first.

I went back to stock springs and clutch plates and I couldn't be happier.

Now if your planing on riding her hard a stock set up might not be your best choice.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 16 May 2012 21:44 by bluej58.

More
16 May 2012 21:39 #522780 by Reichmanner
Replied by Reichmanner on topic clutch pull strength
I guess I should give a little more info. If you check out my build thread (Project BOB) you will see that I had the engine striped down (I did not split the lower end however) And I am putting the sprocket cover back on for the first time since rebuild. The cable is new the release mechanism was taken apart and cleaned and greased (I'm thinking this is my problem. Still) the clutch shaft slides smooth in the bore. I mean I can pull the lever in OK but if I was stuck in traffic very long I would have major arm pump after a couple minutes. The release mechanism moves OK without a load but it does seem to have a little side to side play so I'm thinking that is probably my problem. Any thing I'm over looking.

1981 kz750 ltd (Project BOB)
1982 kz750 Spectra (Project Street Fighter)