cam chain tensioner wedge replacment

More
14 May 2012 23:41 #522429 by jchomes
cam chain tensioner wedge replacment was created by jchomes
hi all, i have a 77 650 i put on a 80 750 ltd frame and i rode it few times in the last few weeks to try to work out bugs now i noticed a rattle from the cam chain and i have the locking ball type tensioner on both my motors. i read my shop book and they say to bring it to the kawasaki dealer to have the wedge up grade installed at no cost . my question is will they still fix this part on my old girl for free or a least hook me up with the parts?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2012 07:38 - 15 May 2012 07:42 #522476 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic cam chain tensioner wedge replacment

jchomes wrote: hi all, i have a 77 650 i put on a 80 750 ltd frame and i rode it few times in the last few weeks to try to work out bugs now i noticed a rattle from the cam chain and i have the locking ball type tensioner on both my motors. i read my shop book and they say to bring it to the kawasaki dealer to have the wedge up grade installed at no cost . my question is will they still fix this part on my old girl for free or a least hook me up with the parts?

The ball lock type are easy to fix and modify so they are totally reliable.

By replacing the short 6mm bolt in the side of the tensioner [locking bolt] with a longer bolt and locknut, the unit can be locked manually and the problem solved.

What they mean by wedge upgrade type is NOT the later units with a side wedge arrangement. Those are really for later models with Hyvo Cam Chains.

The wedge unit they are talking about looks exactly like your ball lock type but the end of the main plunger is cut off on an angle and a mating piece that looks like a wedge is added. Those were not really a solution.

A disassembled, deburred, cleaned, modified ball lock tensioner with the long manual lock bolt and nut can be accomplished in about 30 minutes if you are mechanically inclined.

Your safest bet is to remove the valve cover and align your cam timing marks prior to removing the tensioner. That way, after you modify and reinstall it, you can turn the motor over and verify that the cams have not jumped time. While you're right there, may as well check your valve lash clearances ;)

As time goes by, when you want to adjust the cam chain, let the bike idle, loosen the lock nut and lock bolt, plunger will go out....then snug up the lock bolt and nut.

The bike in the photo has easily removed carburetors so getting at the tensioner will be easy.

Larry C.
Last edit: 15 May 2012 07:42 by LarryC.

More
15 May 2012 09:28 #522480 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic cam chain tensioner wedge replacment
Manual tensioners are available. I think Ape has them & possibly Z1Enterprises.

More
15 May 2012 10:23 #522488 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic cam chain tensioner wedge replacment
If your motor is from a 1977 KZ650 you should just put one of the original 1977 Kawasaki cam chain tensioners on it. The 1977 KZ650 models (B1 and C1) came with a manual tensioner. No automatic balls or wedgies to cause a problem. You must periodically adjust it using the instructions in the service manual, but that is no biggie and it will not unadjust itself. Are you positive about the type of tensioner you currently have? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 May 2012 00:33 #523034 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic cam chain tensioner wedge replacment

martin_csr wrote: Manual tensioners are available. I think Ape has them & possibly Z1Enterprises.

I think you are correct. :laugh: