++ Changing RINGS.

• iamkalaniprince
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Rule!
More
11 May 2012 16:31 #521580 by iamkalaniprince
++ Changing RINGS. was created by iamkalaniprince
Any other to-do's while your're in there? I may have to do valve guides as well. Any advice?

Much love, Kalani-
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2012 23:44 - 11 May 2012 23:45 #521693 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic ++ Changing RINGS.
I found out valve guides don't wear unless they are abused or installed wrong. My 750 had 75k miles so I bought new guides and the old ones had zero wear.

Definitely do the valves and valve seals.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 11 May 2012 23:45 by bountyhunter.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
12 May 2012 10:01 #521757 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic ++ Changing RINGS.
thats must depend on the model. the kz900/1000 guides do wear out.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
12 May 2012 10:22 #521764 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic ++ Changing RINGS.
One thing for sure... Replace Chain tensioner guides (KZ 900/1000 = plastic/polymer)!

Definitely replace the rubber dampner pads (over the shafts) as well.

BTW, nice on the paint job... ;)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
12 May 2012 10:56 #521777 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic ++ Changing RINGS.
Lap the valves, new timing chain components and guide seals. Tach seal, end plugs. Use NO sealer on cylinder base gasket. Install DRY!! Center O-ring, oil only. NO sealer(no sillycone).
And don't pressure wash that bike.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

More
12 May 2012 11:04 #521778 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic ++ Changing RINGS.
You can't accurately tell anything about the condition of the valve guides until you take head apart.

If it's a 900 and virgin, it would have the old OEM bronze guides. 1000's were cast iron. The 1000s held up good. The 900's didn't hold up near as well.

With the lack of lubrication in our fuel today, I would advise replacing valves rather than reface the old ones. Kibble White Valves are a good choice. The aftermarket OEM replacement type valves are cheaper and sometimes quite heavy. You get what you pay for.

New valve springs are also the best option. Again choices are available. Kibble White or APE the two I use predominately. For small cams [stock - .440 lift] I use APE. For serious cams [.440 and up] Kibbles...

Larry C.

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
12 May 2012 11:16 #521783 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic ++ Changing RINGS.

LarryC wrote: You can't accurately tell anything about the condition of the valve guides until you take head apart.

If it's a 900 and virgin, it would have the old OEM bronze guides. 1000's were cast iron. The 1000s held up good. The 900's didn't hold up near as well.

With the lack of lubrication in our fuel today, I would advise replacing valves rather than reface the old ones. Kibble White Valves are a good choice. The aftermarket OEM replacement type valves are cheaper and sometimes quite heavy. You get what you pay for.

New valve springs are also the best option. Again choices are available. Kibble White or APE the two I use predominately. For small cams [stock - .440 lift] I use APE. For serious cams [.440 and up] Kibbles...

Larry, is this what you are talking about?

valvetrain.kpmivalvetrain.com/category/i...-900-br-1973-to-1977

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• iamkalaniprince
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Rule!
More
13 May 2012 00:58 #521920 by iamkalaniprince
Replied by iamkalaniprince on topic ++ Changing RINGS.
Fantastic. Thank you guys!

I'm guessing I don't need to resurface the head or should I since it's off?

Also, is changing the main wiring harness a massive job?

More
13 May 2012 07:38 - 13 May 2012 07:47 #521990 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic ++ Changing RINGS.

BlackZ1R wrote:

LarryC wrote: You can't accurately tell anything about the condition of the valve guides until you take head apart.

Larry, is this what you are talking about?

valvetrain.kpmivalvetrain.com/category/i...-900-br-1973-to-1977

Yes.

A clean up cut on the head certainly won't hurt anything. Why not make sure it's flat while it's apart.

Wiring harness is plug and play.

Larry C.
Last edit: 13 May 2012 07:47 by LarryC.

• iamkalaniprince
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Rule!
More
13 May 2012 17:06 #522092 by iamkalaniprince
Replied by iamkalaniprince on topic ++ Changing RINGS.
The bike kept blowing the main fuse for a good while.. Unable to find the intermittent problem, I'm guessing it has to do with the old wiring. Maybe it's grounding out somewhere?