What cylinder sets will work on 750EE motor?

More
08 May 2012 10:00 #520686 by adam90xj
Hello, I purchased a basket case kz650c bike with a kz750ee engine. The motor was in pieces and I took the cylinder set to my machinist (I literally walked there)to have it honed. 3 of the 4 are perfect but the 4th sleeve is messed up. Options/opinions please. Looks to me like it could have overheated or washed the lining. The piston/rings look good but now I'm skeptical. Ordering a OD piston set is out of the the $ ballpark. I know I could: sleeve it ($75sleeve + $70rings) Or I could find a 1 good used sleeve from a otherwise messed up set.... or I could swap out the whole set.

I found a set on ebay from a KZ750 LTD with damage to a mounting hole that is at the end of the cam chain area. $70ish shipped. (I can weld/drill tap is no problem). It looks the same except for the cam chain area looks more "curved" than the squared off area that I have on the 750E. Does anyone know if I can use this set? would I simply need different cam chain guides or could I perhaps mill out the head somehow to use the original guides?

Thanks for the help,
Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2012 13:25 #520718 by steell
Any of the air cooled 750 four cylinders will work on your bike.
The reason yours looks different is it still has provisions for the early 650 roller cam chain, and they did away with that on later models.

All 750 fours use the same cam chain, the Hyvo style.

Same with the heads, early ones had provision for the cam chain idler, later ones didn't.

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.