Current production V&H vs Kerker pipes

More
07 May 2012 20:03 - 07 May 2012 20:04 #520554 by rrlslacker
Current production V&H vs Kerker pipes was created by rrlslacker
I'm planning on buying a new exhaust, and I'm trying to choose between the currently available Kerker or V&H, both listed on Z1enterprises. Not only is the Kerker a lot more $, but I like the shiny look of the V&H better. Is there a significant difference in sound and performance that makes the Kerker worth it?

The bike will be a KZ650 bored to 810, with a wide power band in mind rather than all out top end. More info:

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/520025-kz...810-questions-galore

79 KZ650 B3 - Frame off resto nearing completion
Last edit: 07 May 2012 20:04 by rrlslacker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2012 20:42 #520563 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Current production V&H vs Kerker pipes
I personally like the sound of the kerker better plus the quality of the V&H isn't any match to the kerker, I'm speaking of the 1000 headers so I would guess they aren't any better for the 650's due to the lower sales but that's only a guess.
Worth is determined on budget for most and looks for some so I can't really say which is better priced for anyone.
Hope this helps?

Les

More
07 May 2012 21:29 - 07 May 2012 21:50 #520573 by vernons
Replied by vernons on topic Current production V&H vs Kerker pipes
i like the v/h pipes just fine.. put mine on the 900ltd last summer.. fitment was just fine... you can get the v/h competition baffle for about 35.00
bought my chrome v/h street pipe for 311.00 and free shipping. at cli-maxridinggear.com out of waco tx.. there # is 469-675-3044
just checked your pipe is 294.00 and free shipping..
p.s. i also cut the stock baffle length down by half,and left the packing on... sounds very nice,deep and throaty. not bad enough to bother the cops...
i think actual performance differences would be very minimal at most...
Last edit: 07 May 2012 21:50 by vernons.

More
08 May 2012 21:32 #520827 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Current production V&H vs Kerker pipes

vernons wrote: i like the v/h pipes just fine.. put mine on the 900ltd last summer.. fitment was just fine... you can get the v/h competition baffle for about 35.00
bought my chrome v/h street pipe for 311.00 and free shipping. at cli-maxridinggear.com out of waco tx.. there # is 469-675-3044
p.s. i also cut the stock baffle length down by half,and left the packing on... sounds very nice,deep and throaty. not bad enough to bother the cops...

+1 on that :)

Larry C.

More
08 May 2012 21:33 #520831 by LarryC

vernons wrote: i like the v/h pipes just fine.. put mine on the 900ltd last summer.. fitment was just fine... you can get the v/h competition baffle for about 35.00

+1 on the V&H over the Kerker, especially for a small street motor. Better bottom end and midrange power IMO.

Use the street baffle that comes in it and pull the packing if you want it a bit louder.

Larry C.

More
08 May 2012 22:07 #520840 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Current production V&H vs Kerker pipes
I can only speak for 900/1000 cc bikes, but I would have to remove the center-stand and modify the rear brake pedal (I have a rear drum) if I were to use the V&H exhaust.

Maybe Jeff can comment, but I know there were some major quality issues regarding a lot or two of V&H pipes.

I went with the Kerker and have been pleased.

www.z1enterprises.com/Kerker-Megaphone-E...650--KZ750-4128.aspx

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
09 May 2012 00:49 #520901 by rrlslacker
Replied by rrlslacker on topic Current production V&H vs Kerker pipes
I've had the V&H on my bike for a few years, and I haven't had any problems with the quality or fitment. I like the chrome better than the currently available black Kerker. Also, I think it sounds great, but I can't say which I prefer because I haven't heard the Kerker in person. I was just wondering about performance differences, especially once its an 810.

Larry, I'm very interested in your comments about the power range. Do you mean with the stock baffle? How's the competition baffle? I'm actually discussing the 810 build in detail here, page 6, second post:

forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=7051.75

I'll be asking you for some head work in the future.

79 KZ650 B3 - Frame off resto nearing completion

More
09 May 2012 13:08 - 09 May 2012 13:13 #521001 by LarryC

rrlslacker wrote: I've had the V&H on my bike for a few years, and I haven't had any problems with the quality or fitment. I like the chrome better than the currently available black Kerker. Also, I think it sounds great, but I can't say which I prefer because I haven't heard the Kerker in person. I was just wondering about performance differences, especially once its an 810.

Larry, I'm very interested in your comments about the power range. Do you mean with the stock baffle? How's the competition baffle? I'm actually discussing the 810 build in detail here, page 6, second post:

forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=7051.75

I'll be asking you for some head work in the future.

I've run pretty much every pipe that's out there at one time or another either on my personal bikes, friends bikes or customer's bikes. The ones that work best for all around performance all have collector sizes similar to the V&H.

I ran that pipe exactly as I suggested, street baffle with packing removed on my 1197. I can't see where you'd need a competition baffle for your 810cc motor.

How you tune the bike has everything with how it all works together. But, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate one second putting a V&H pipe on it. All I had to do was a little sanding inside the megaphone so it slipped onto the header pipe easier. It was tight out of the box. Chrome was fine on mine and it fit the head fine.

Only thing is oil changes. It's a bit tricky putting the new filter in but it's not all that bad.

Larry C.
Last edit: 09 May 2012 13:13 by LarryC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt98

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
09 May 2012 14:17 #521012 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Current production V&H vs Kerker pipes
Hey Mark, these Guys are talking about the V/H street pipe.
I think your thinking of the dragpipe sidewinder. They were mass produced in Mexico and they had a bad batch a few years ago, the chrome was falling off of them and they were not lining up correct.

But the street pipe is nice, I bought a used pipe and it was nice and built and solid.

The new Kerkers are so expensive, cause one of the Harley exhaust makers bought the pattent
and started making them again, new start up, not a lot of profit margin.

Stick with the V/H or the cheaper MAC pipe.
All depends on your wallet!
J M O

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!