Cam Chain Tensioner

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
30 Apr 2012 20:08 #518882 by blipco
Cam Chain Tensioner was created by blipco
I have removed my valve cover on my J motor. To reinstall it I took the cap off the cam chain tensioner to allow the cross wedge to relax so that the chain is properly tensioned.
Is this all I need to do? With the cap off I could press the the cam chain down though it took some force and would spring back into position once I let it go. At first it wouldn't do that, it would stay pushed down but after I greased the removable part of the wedge it seams to have freed up. How can I tell if it is working properly? I've been searching but cannot get a clear answer. Mark.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2012 20:39 #518890 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cam Chain Tensioner
Yes! everything you have done is correct and is all you need to do.
The spring loaded wedge usually needs a bit of help to un-jam and release the tension.
Re-fit the cover then refit the tensioner wedge,spring and cap
Just don't rotate the engine without the tensioner re-installed as the camchain could jump on the crank teeth as i'm sure you already know.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
30 Apr 2012 22:35 #518922 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic Cam Chain Tensioner

zed1015 wrote: Yes! everything you have done is correct and is all you need to do.
The spring loaded wedge usually needs a bit of help to un-jam and release the tension.
Re-fit the cover then refit the tensioner wedge,spring and cap
Just don't rotate the engine without the tensioner re-installed as the camchain could jump on the crank teeth as i'm sure you already know.

Yes, thank you Zed. I have it back together already. No turning crank without tensioner together.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)