Removing Rubber Engine Mount KZ1000P

More
21 Apr 2012 02:28 #517048 by Pacifictime
Removing Rubber Engine Mount KZ1000P was created by Pacifictime
I am building a 1983 Kawasaki KZ1000P for an unusual event called "The Stampede." It is a cross country ride/race for hard tail bikes, no windshields, fairings, hard saddle bags and no rubber mounted engines. Strutts are allowed and I have built the strutts and sprung the seat. My next task is to remove the rubber engine mounts and build solid mounts.

I need help on how to remove the rubber mounting on the left side of the engine at the front. On the right there is a bracket that holds the long bolt that goes all the way from left to right. Once the bracket is removed, the rubber bushing (which is quite long) can be pulled out on the left side but the right side no.

Does anyone know how to get the right side out without removing the engine? Then I can copy the rubber parts and make them out of something solid.
Thanks for your help
Ray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2012 18:42 #518053 by edd
Replied by edd on topic Removing Rubber Engine Mount KZ1000P
Ray,you may be able to drive the left one out the right side with a punch, but it sounds like you're forgetting the lower front mount- also rubber. For that to come out you've got to raise the front of the motor. I'd try loosening the rear mount and placing a jack and a block of wood under the oil pan. You'll have to raise it about 1". Good luck.

More
20 May 2012 23:14 #523687 by Pacifictime
Replied by Pacifictime on topic Removing Rubber Engine Mount KZ1000P
Ok, I got it figured out. Once you remove the bolted on bracket on the right side of the bike, you can pull the rubber mounts out. This gives enough room to drop the outer rubber mount out. I knew the Kawai engineers wouldn't have made the bike so that you had to pull the engine to change the rubber mounts.
I then reversed the rubber mounts and turned down the metal pipe that the rubber mounts were attached to and machined aluminium slugs that went into the holes where the rubber was and made steel outer mounts. It still pulls out from the right side and I threaded the slugs so a bolt can be threaded into them to help pull them out.
I'm not worried about the lower rubber as the engine is supported by four solid mounts and so does not ride on rubber at any point.
The bike actually rides better. The vibration is less. Although vibration analysis is not my best skill, the vibration seems smaller if more frequent, but still less harsh.
Thanks for your help, I hope I have described what I did at least halfway clearly.
Ray