Replaced Clutch Plates: No Tension on Clutch Lever

More
14 Apr 2012 19:45 #515814 by raulfd4
I just put new clutch plates in my 1980 KZ440. I followed the instructions as per the Clymer manual. After I re-assembled everything and was about to add the oil back in, I checked the clutch lever, since the manual said it would need be adjusted. The clutch lever is totally loose and has no resistance. What did I do wrong? I plan on disassembling again and seeing what may have happened, but any ideas on where to look first would help.

Thanks.

1980 Kawasaki KZ440A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2012 21:52 #515840 by TexasKZ
Adjust the cable, carefully following the instructions, before taking anything apart.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
15 Apr 2012 07:25 - 15 Apr 2012 07:42 #515880 by Patton
Perhaps needs clutch push rod adjustment. :unsure:

The instructions in some manuals are confusing or erroneous as to the clutch push rod adjustment.
Particularly with regard to which direction the adjustment screw should be turned initially to close the gap and then turned the opposite direction to provide the necessary small gap.

If first turned the wrong way, the gap won't be closed, but will be opened so far that squeezing the handlebar clutch lever only reduces the gap and fails to press the end of the adjustment screw against the end of the push rod.

If the above instructions are applicable to the bike at hand, note that the adjustment screw is first turned out counter-clockwise to initially close the gap.

Upon failure of such adjustment, try again and reverse the screw turning sequence.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2012 07:42 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: raulfd4

More
15 Apr 2012 11:09 #515906 by raulfd4
Wow - great advice and helpful images. I began playing around with that adjustment, but everything just felt so loose that I didn't think that was the issue. I figured those adjustments were to make minor changes in the tension/play in the clutch lever. I will see what I can do and let you know how it goes.

1980 Kawasaki KZ440A

More
15 Apr 2012 16:39 #515963 by raulfd4
So I tried to adjust the clutch lever again, and when I would turn the adjusting screw in either direction, it would turn and turn and turn and turn, with no change in resistance at all.

I decided to take off the cover in order to get a better look at what was going on. When I did so, everything seemed to be in order and went back together just the same. There is some disconnect somewhere... I can't figure it out.

I read on another forum that the ball bearing (#600 in the exploded diagram for the ball and ramp style clutch above) might be missing... but I know I would have heard/seen if that had come out when I was replacing the clutch plates. The manual says to use a magnet to get it out, so it doesn't seem like something that would just fall out unintentionally.

It's weird - the clutch cable just seems so loose. I feel like the adjustments being made with the adjustment screw and with the mid-cable adjuster (which seems to be stuck in its current position... I put some penetrating lube on it) wouldn't be enough to make up for the amount of slack in it.

I feel like I just need to go back and retrace my steps at this point. Any other ideas with this new information is appreciated.

1980 Kawasaki KZ440A

More
15 Apr 2012 18:17 - 15 Apr 2012 18:24 #515973 by loudhvx
On the 550's, the C1ymer instructions are wrong for the ball-ramp type actuator. Maybe the same is true for the KZ440. If yours is a ball-ramp type, and not screw type, then maybe check the link on my signature for the 550 clutch adjuster.

Also, that push-rod ball-bearing can easily fall out if it is not held in by grease, at least on the 550's. You'll want to confirm it is there by pulling out the push rod (unless you have the clutch side wide open, in which case you can see through the opening). Sometimes it will stick to the pusher 13116, and when you pull it out you won't realize it's stuck loosely (by grease) to the pusher. Then it will eventually, silently, roll off somewhere.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2012 18:24 by loudhvx.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
15 Apr 2012 18:33 #515977 by TomW
Is the outer part of the cable in the proper place on the bottom? DAMHIKT

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
15 Apr 2012 18:33 #515978 by TomW
Is the outer part of the cable in the proper place on the bottom? DAMHIKT :whistle:

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

More
15 Apr 2012 20:37 #516010 by raulfd4
Actually, when I took the casing off to get a better look at what was going on behind the adjustment screw, the clutch cable did inadvertently come loose from the mechanism it connects to. So, I reconnected it.

1980 Kawasaki KZ440A

More
15 Apr 2012 20:56 #516021 by ldizzle
I accidentally left off the tensioner spring once took the casing off two or three times then found it in my tool chest...something to check!

More
15 Apr 2012 21:02 #516022 by raulfd4
I'll double check, but if you are referring to the spring that slides over the push rod and aligns with the mechanism that the clutch cable connects to, then I'm pretty positive that I put it back together the way I found it.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the adjuster screw just rotates freely and doesn't engage with anything or encounter any resistance?

1980 Kawasaki KZ440A

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
15 Apr 2012 21:28 #516035 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Replaced Clutch Plates: No Tension on Clutch Lever
Missing Ball between Pusher and rod

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn