Valve Adjustment Time?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Apr 2012 10:49 #517080 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Valve Adjustment Time?
z1enterprises.com
They will have the shims, valve cover gasket, and the Tool. They are close to you, so shipping should be quick. Shim over, and pretty simple to change them. You may be able to swap a couple around to get the adjustment, or just a couple of new shims. Good to know they are set right for the piece of mind, you don't want to mess with it while on your trip. ;)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2012 14:30 #517138 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Valve Adjustment Time?

blipco wrote: I just recieved my factory repair manual. It is brand new. What a deal. I am surprised to see "shim over bucket". Is this true on my 2002 engine? (I know this sounds like a stupid question but researching the site, pictures I've seen look like "shim under bucket"). If so, are the shims 29mm? Also, what would be the best tool to get to remove the shims. I see a Motion Pro hand tool available though the manual shows a Kawasaki tool that holds the bucket down.

Yes, shim over bucket.....

Attachment P21.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
22 Apr 2012 00:54 #517223 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic Valve Adjustment Time?
Thanks all. I was at Z1 Enterprises today. Shim over bucket, piece of cake. I'll order up the gaskets. Shims are all over e-bay if necessary as well. I'm told the head bolts loosen up so I'll look into tightening those while I'm under the hood.
Should I do anything with the cam chain tensioner besides resetting it? Thank's again, Mark.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

More
22 Apr 2012 10:51 - 22 Apr 2012 11:01 #517266 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Valve Adjustment Time?

blipco wrote: Thanks all. I was at Z1 Enterprises today. Shim over bucket, piece of cake. I'll order up the gaskets. Shims are all over e-bay if necessary as well. I'm told the head bolts loosen up so I'll look into tightening those while I'm under the hood.
Should I do anything with the cam chain tensioner besides resetting it? Thank's again, Mark.

Checking valve lash is a simple process. Changing shims is also a simple process, made easier by purchasing the old style OEM tool to hold the bucket down. Yes it costs more. Yes, it's worth it IMHO.

I have both old and new style shim tools. I use the wedge from the new one to open the valve and install the old tool to hold the bucket down. That little wedge that's part of the new style tool is a pain to get set right on the inside cylinders. I've seen them slip and come shooting out :ohmy:

Point each lobe straight away from the shim. Check your clearances right there. You want them toward the looser end .015mm or .006". You may find that you don't need to change any shims.

Anything under .10mm or .004" should receive a thinner shim. Your target range is .10 to .15mm .004" - .006".

Remove the cross wedge plunger cap from the tensioner. Remove the spring and plunger. Then remove the valve cover. Check your clearances. Adjust as needed.

Install valve cover and tighten down. Lastly install the removed tensioner parts. Synch carbs is the final part of the tune up.

With BS Mikuni carbs, using lock nuts on the synch adjusters....

There are 3 synch adjusters. One balances 1 & 2 carb. One balances 3 & 4 carb. The center one ballances the two pairs. It can be a fussy process on those carbs the first time you attempt it. It's a "feel thing". Don't loosen the lock nuts way off. It's tightening them down throws you adjustment off.

Put a fan on the engine when you synch the carbs.

I don't know about an 02. Perhaps Kaw got smart and put some CVK Keihins on them with phillips screw synch adjusters. If they did, it's cake. No lock nut to fuss with :)

Larry C.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2012 11:01 by LarryC.

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
22 Apr 2012 11:50 - 22 Apr 2012 11:53 #517289 by blipco
Larry, thank you. As you suggest I will spring for the nice old style bucket tool and the new one as well. It's always a pleasure to use the right stuff. I want the looser end on BOTH intake and exhaust?
My carbs are the BS34's that everybody is so fond of. When something is good you just have to stick with it :P .Mark.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
Last edit: 22 Apr 2012 11:53 by blipco.

More
23 Apr 2012 07:39 #517493 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Valve Adjustment Time?
Yes, set the valves toward the loose spec.

Larry C.

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
23 Apr 2012 10:04 #517520 by blipco

LarryC wrote: Yes, set the valves toward the loose spec.

Got it. Thank you.

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
23 Apr 2012 13:15 #517560 by blipco
I took the valve cover off. Everything looks perfect. I haven't checked the clearance yet as I don't have the bucket tools yet. (If I wait til I buy the tools I may not need them, you know how that goes :whistle: ).

Can I take the cam chain tensioner off with the BS34's still attached?

More
29 Apr 2012 17:58 #518678 by cfaherty
Replied by cfaherty on topic Valve Adjustment Time?

MFolks wrote: In the Kawasaki shop manual, there are two(2) incorrect torque values; The camshaft bearing cap bolts(M6 X 1, 16 each) should be 66 inck pounds, not 12 foot pounds. And the cylinder headbolts(M6 X 1, 2 each) should be 96 inch pounds,not 104 inch pounds.

OK, so camshaft cap bolts are down to 66 in-lb. My 82-85 LTD/Spectre/KZ750 manual incorrectly states 104 in-lb, which I have set to 85 in-lb as per this site. So 66 in-lb is a safer torque?

1983 KZ750 F1 LTD Shaft

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
29 Apr 2012 19:05 #518681 by blipco

cfaherty wrote:

MFolks wrote: In the Kawasaki shop manual, there are two(2) incorrect torque values; The camshaft bearing cap bolts(M6 X 1, 16 each) should be 66 inck pounds, not 12 foot pounds. And the cylinder headbolts(M6 X 1, 2 each) should be 96 inch pounds,not 104 inch pounds.

OK, so camshaft cap bolts are down to 66 in-lb. My 82-85 LTD/Spectre/KZ750 manual incorrectly states 104 in-lb, which I have set to 85 in-lb as per this site. So 66 in-lb is a safer torque?[/quot

66 in/lbs is correct for cam cap bolts. The 96 in/lbs is for the two small head bolts (not the nuts)one at each end of the head. You have to pull the 1 and 4 spark plugs to get at them with a torque wrench. This is a pretty big typo for Kawasaki, the Clymer is wrong as well. Cheers to MFolks for pointing this out.