Valve Adjustment Time?

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
14 Apr 2012 13:06 #515764 by blipco
Valve Adjustment Time? was created by blipco
Hi, I have an '02 KZP with 17,000 original miles. It never saw police duty so it hasn't sat around idling or doing hot pursuits. In other words it has been pretty much gently driven. I put the last 6000 miles on it. The motor has never been opened up ie no valve adjustment yet. I plan on taking it on a 3000 mile trip. The bike starts and idles fine when it is hot or cold and doesn't make any funny noises. It looks brand new.
My question is this, Is it time to check/adjust now or can I take it on a trip or is that too much of a risk?
Also, is there a shim kit that is worth buying once I get an idea of what I need? My local bike shops went out of business recently.
Is there anything special I need to know? I see many excellent threads about valve clearances. I don't know why but I'm always chicken to open a motor for it's first time. Especially since I'm unfamiliar with air cooled engines. Mark.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
14 Apr 2012 13:45 #515772 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Valve Adjustment Time?
It's really no big deal. Doesn't take long, either.

You'll need a feeler gauge, possibly a new valve cover gasket, a 10mm socket to check the clearances. That's the simple part. You'll be able to tell from the clearances whether or not you need to make any adjustments. Doesn't hurt to check it before you go...

I had my 900 running for years without any clearance adjustments when I was younger (not advised, I was young and dumb) but checking them more often than recommended isn't going to hurt anything.

I'd write them down and keep track, too. Nice to look back at and reference - you'll also know what shims are in what spots for future reference.

More
14 Apr 2012 22:49 #515845 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Valve Adjustment Time?
Their is a file under the filebase that has a chart you can print to help keep shim sizes organized.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
16 Apr 2012 15:45 #516186 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic Valve Adjustment Time?
I don't have a factory manual or even the owners manual. What does Kawasaki recommend for the valve adjust intervals on this motor?

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

More
16 Apr 2012 16:54 #516203 by johnbgood
Replied by johnbgood on topic Valve Adjustment Time?
Be careful working without a manual. Some things in there you need to know. Even for simple things like replacing the valve cover gasket (better back off the cam chain tensioner before reinstalling or else).
Things like that.

Just saying

johnbgood

KZ1000P 1991

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
16 Apr 2012 19:13 #516227 by blipco
Yup, no problem. That's what I do, I educate myself first such as with your suggestion. Feel free to fire away. I have a Clymers manual which I never trust for some reason. I'll look online for one to download but I'd much rather have paper in front of me.

More
16 Apr 2012 19:46 #516229 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Valve Adjustment Time?
This should work, but there has been reports of problems:
www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...icle&id=77&Itemid=99

Manuals (Some of these websites sell used manuals, just ask)
www.repairmanual.com (Use # 99924-1026-03 for Kawasaki 1981-2005 Kz/Z1000 Factory Service Manual)
www.manualsnmore.com
www.midwestmanuals.com/
www.books4cars.com/
www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/
moto-manuals.com/
www.e-classicbike.com/

In the Kawasaki shop manual, there are two(2) incorrect torque values; The camshaft bearing cap bolts(M6 X 1, 16 each) should be 66 inck pounds, not 12 foot pounds. And the cylinder headbolts(M6 X 1, 2 each) should be 96 inch pounds,not 104 inch pounds.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
16 Apr 2012 20:03 #516232 by blipco
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThank you MFolks. Actually, I just now bought a factory repair manual from a place in Arizona. It covers 81-83 KZ1000 and KZ1100. I hope it's the right one for my engine.

Here is the link to the manual.

More
16 Apr 2012 20:17 #516234 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Valve Adjustment Time?
Yep, it should work. Here's information about the two models of Kawasaki Kz1000's:
www.aperaceparts.com/tech/techkz1000.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
16 Apr 2012 20:45 #516237 by blipco

MFolks wrote: Yep, it should work. Here's information about the two models of Kawasaki Kz1000's:
www.aperaceparts.com/tech/techkz1000.html

Yes, so I did good. I had read the APE information before and as clear as they made it a little fog still rolls in near the end. With bikes I'm not a great modifier by nature. I generally get the bike I want and make it as reliable as I can. Thanks again, Mark.

• blipco
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
More
21 Apr 2012 10:37 #517077 by blipco
I just recieved my factory repair manual. It is brand new. What a deal. I am surprised to see "shim over bucket". Is this true on my 2002 engine? (I know this sounds like a stupid question but researching the site, pictures I've seen look like "shim under bucket"). If so, are the shims 29mm? Also, what would be the best tool to get to remove the shims. I see a Motion Pro hand tool available though the manual shows a Kawasaki tool that holds the bucket down.

More
21 Apr 2012 10:40 #517079 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Valve Adjustment Time?
If it were me,I would wait until I got back from the trip. ;) Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000