Engine warm up time?

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
29 Mar 2012 12:34 #512750 by bromz
Engine warm up time? was created by bromz
Bought a 81 kz1000 csr this spring. It was sitting 2 years. Cleaned carbs new plugs new air filter oil change. Bike is running great. Just curious how long does it take to warm up. When I start it I use full choke fires off instantly. Then right away go to half and in about 5 min its ready with no hesitation. Only thing I havent done is have the carbs synced. I have put about 200 miles on it and running great. Is this warm up time normal for this bike or do i need to adjust the pilot screws out a little more. I am at 1 1/4 turns wich is what the manual says. Thanks
[attachment:1]IMG-20120314-00054.jpg[/attachment]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2012 18:06 #512840 by STRATOCASTER
Replied by STRATOCASTER on topic Engine warm up time?
I have a 1978 KZ1000 and the carbs are sync. You got what I got. About 5 min. and ur good to go. I have had mine 4 yrs. and it has been like this. Just a little cold blooded. But it's all about what that baby will do after the choke is off, and she's got a little heat in er. Isn't it !!

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Mar 2012 18:13 - 29 Mar 2012 19:18 #512843 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Engine warm up time?
it sounds like u could be a little lean. it wont hurt to try to run a little richer, then u may not need the chock for so long. does it run smooth at cruise without choke during this 1st 5 min's? as the weather warms, the bike will naturaly run leaner, so u may need to add fuel anyways.
try a little richer if u like, u can always go back.
dont be afraid to experiment. just remember where u started(how many turns out the fuel/air screws are, from lightly seated.). the key is to be able to cruise at , say 3000/4000/5000rpm in first smoothly. if it will do that, then the fuel ratio is good.
after u find the sweet spot, sync the carbs.

i need the choke to get mine stated,then turn it off, and put the cruise control on at a high idle,while i suite up. then away i go with no choke.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 29 Mar 2012 19:18 by mark1122.

More
29 Mar 2012 19:09 #512861 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Engine warm up time?
Depends on outside temperature, but for mine it ranges from a couple of minutes to maybe 5 minutes max.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
29 Mar 2012 19:28 #512867 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Engine warm up time?
You're lucky you don't have flatslides. Mine are finicky and will start wanting jetting changes with as little as 10 degree temperature drops.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• bromz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 kz1000 csr
More
29 Mar 2012 19:32 #512869 by bromz
Replied by bromz on topic Engine warm up time?
thanks guys. new to bike but am mechanicaly inclined. i guess she is just cold blooded. i will play with it and get it synced. after i find a sweet spot do i need to re plug my pilot screw holes. i took the plugs out to get to them. thanks a gain it is running great other than being cold.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Mar 2012 19:33 #512870 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Engine warm up time?
i do have flats. no problems hear, and i live in snow country. :lol:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
29 Mar 2012 19:36 #512871 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Engine warm up time?

mark1122 wrote: i do have flats. no problems hear, and i live in snow country. :lol:

I meant the o.p. mark. And yours don't run leaner in the cold morning air?

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

More
29 Mar 2012 20:39 #512887 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Engine warm up time?
Do you guys actually wait for the bike to warm up before riding ? For ever and ever I would start a bike on full choke, reduce to half in a few seconds and as soon as I get my gloves on I'm off down the road reducing the choke as I go. Might take 5 min riding for the motor to fully warm but cold motor is only evident if I have to stop at a traffic light.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
31 Mar 2012 17:48 #513228 by shockman54
Replied by shockman54 on topic Engine warm up time?
generally riding the bike before its warmed up is bad, as is running the engine under load with the choke on. the least amount of harm it can do is foul your plugs, leading to a decrease in performance, the worst is mixing gas into your oil, leading to a new engine being put into your bike. (not very common, but its what happened to my brother in law on his suzuki)

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
31 Mar 2012 18:35 #513233 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Engine warm up time?
I agree with warming up the bike for around 5 minutes sounds about right.
I have a oil pressure gauge on the right side of my motor that reads up to 15 psi. When I first start the bike the reading goes up to the needle stop of 15 psi kinda like a extra tach. As I rev the motor to keep it running clean the oil pressure rises with the rpm. After a few minutes the oil pressure drops to about 3 psi. Thats when I know its truely warmed up and ready for some real fun. I cant speak about the carb settings anymore as I only have one bolted to the turbocharger, but the oil gauge predates the turbo and I love knowing what the motor is doing as oil pressure drops to normal after the warm up discribed above

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
31 Mar 2012 20:50 #513273 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Engine warm up time?
Hmmmmm. Interesting
I always though that the best way to warm an engine was to run it. Not put under load with choke of course but just run it. I've been doing what I described above since the late 60s with cars and bikes. Cars back then had manual chokes - a knob you pulled out from the dash - and once we got a car engine going we did pretty much the same.... kept going with the choke until you could reduce it and finally shut it off altogether. Most chokes are really just high idle for the last i/4 or so of lever travel. Then came fuel injection on cars or "automatic choke" and today we turn them on , maybe give a couple of seconds to get the oil pressure up and just go. most people turn em on and go and let the computer take care of the rest. Should we wait ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust