Poppity poppity poppity

• BlackZ1R
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
22 Mar 2012 03:24 #511194 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic Poppity poppity poppity

Patton wrote: If not already done, would verify fuel level using the clear tube test.

Good Fortune! :)

I agree. No fuel level gauge yet Patton, just static float height settings for now. I need to get a good 17mm bowl plug gauge to set these correctly.
It is running and idling very good compared to previous runs. Still needs some tuning.

I believe I may have an electrical issue with voltage supply to the coils. Will get that rectified shortly.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2012 11:04 - 22 Mar 2012 11:07 #511223 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Poppity poppity poppity

BlackZ1R wrote:

Patton wrote: If not already done, would verify fuel level using the clear tube test.

I agree. No fuel level gauge yet Patton, just static float height settings for now. I need to get a good 17mm bowl plug gauge to set these correctly....

The special fitting isn't essential.
I use a clear hose inserted into a cone-shaped rubber grommet.
Others report using a snug fitting short length of automotive fuel hose instead of the grommet.
Any minimal leakage doesn't invalidate the test.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Mar 2012 11:07 by Patton.

More
22 Mar 2012 11:46 - 22 Mar 2012 11:47 #511231 by sft1662
Replied by sft1662 on topic Poppity poppity poppity
Sounds like you're getting a big improvement. The thing that might be needed is to properly vacuum sync the carbs. I had a lot of obnoxious popping on decel and at constant 0-1/4 throttle position that mostly went away when I vacuum synced the carbs. Then I richened up the airscrew a bit due to the plugs reading a touch lean and the problem has 95% gone away.

Point being that a vacuum sync cant do any harm but its an easy task and will make a big improvement on idle-1/8 throttle and overall throttle response.

Edit: It is still, of course, important to get rid of any vacuum leaks, make sure your floats are the correct level, have clean carbs, and properly adjusted valves before finally syncing the carbs. But if you've done all of that already I'd sync them up, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Bench sync was WAY off when I finally put a carbtune on my bike...

1978 KZ650 B2A
Last edit: 22 Mar 2012 11:47 by sft1662.

• BlackZ1R
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
22 Mar 2012 12:18 #511241 by BlackZ1R

Patton wrote:

BlackZ1R wrote:

I agree. No fuel level gauge yet Patton, just static float height settings for now. I need to get a good 17mm bowl plug gauge to set these correctly....

The special fitting isn't essential.
I use a clear hose inserted into a cone-shaped rubber grommet.
Others report using a snug fitting short length of automotive fuel hose instead of the grommet.

Nice illustration, thanks for the tip.
Not sure I agree with that 100%. Seems like the fuel level would fluctuate if it was leaking.
I'm satisfied that the fuel levels are within spec now by the way it is more sensitive to tuning and how well it's running.

When I get the time to get a plug gauge and some #25 pilots, I'll get it spot on for sure.
At the moment, 90% of the annoying pop is gone and the bike is running like a whole different animal. :woohoo:
ThanKZ Patton.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

• BlackZ1R
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
27 Mar 2012 00:45 #512243 by BlackZ1R
:woohoo: :woohoo: bike running sweet!!!!! Still running the 17.5s for now. Seems slightly "cold natured". Thinking 20s or 22.5s would do it for summer. Anyone have any pilots sitting in their jet box needing a new home????? :whistle:
I could use 20s, 22.5s or 25s. ThanKZ!! :)

Kawasaki

• BlackZ1R
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
10 Apr 2012 01:46 #514951 by BlackZ1R
I'm loving this KZ. B)
Went through and cleaned all the connectors under the tank and did the 12v ignition mod. Getting within .3v of battery voltage to the ignition system.

Just got back from a 150 mile loop on twisty back roads, and what a ride.
Bassani pipe has a sound all it's own. Almost has a growl or a howl to it as you run it through the rev range. :cheer:
Ordered three sets of pilots to work with and should be able to get the transition from pilot to needle dialed right in.
Bike running way smoother and idles great now. The popping is very faint and all but gone, still evident that I may have a lean condition right off idle.
It's fairly close, but still not right where it needs to be.

Kawasaki

More
10 Apr 2012 10:29 #514989 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Poppity poppity poppity
I never went bigger that 17.5 on slow jets for 29s. I ran a 1075 3X cams and open header.

The Dynas can be wired any direction.

I adjusted the air screws 3/4 turn out. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• BlackZ1R
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
10 Apr 2012 12:43 #515015 by BlackZ1R

roy-b-boy-b wrote: I never went bigger that 17.5 on slow jets for 29s. I ran a 1075 3X cams and open header.

The Dynas can be wired any direction.

I adjusted the air screws 3/4 turn out. Roy

Thanks. I'm at 3/4 turn out now. Was that a strip only bike?

Kawasaki