acts like it wants to run away

More
18 Mar 2012 01:01 #510350 by Diesel-Dr.
acts like it wants to run away was created by Diesel-Dr.
hello im new to the forum but not new to the bikes but this one has me stumped. ok so i was ridding it one day and the battery died while i was ridding it (i would never purposely run it on a dead battery) but i shut it off to talk and when i went to start it, it was dead to the world. so bein i had no way of getting it home i did the stupid thing and push started it. it was backfiring and sputtering the whole way home so i kept it at low rpm. i put a new battery in it and it ran better but now it runs smooth but as soon as i start it, it jumps to about 3 grand at starts climbing, i haven't let it go to see how high it will go i just shut it off when it hits about 5 grand cause either way its not right. so i cant run it long enough to get a good reading on the plugs to see if its running lean or not. i have replaced carb boots, cleaned the carbs, and went through them about 7 times, and yes i cleaned out every port known to man. but it still acts like its running lean,or maby the timing is advancing when it shouldn't i haven't replaced the springs on the counter weights for the timing advance, they look fine but thats not saying their not weak.

i know its something stupid that im just not seeing. and im hoping one of you guys can show me the light. ooo i have went through the whole ignition system and it is all good except for maby the timing advance system. thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2012 01:58 #510358 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic acts like it wants to run away
lean condition or timing wont allow it to accelerate, it has to be gaining air volume as well maybe the throttle cable has issues

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

More
18 Mar 2012 09:32 #510383 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic acts like it wants to run away
check throttle cables and make sure the idle screw is adjusted properly

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
18 Mar 2012 09:45 #510387 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic acts like it wants to run away
If not already done, would use the carb thumb screw to lower the idle, and then assure that the carb mechanism throttle stop is fully closing against the tip of the thumb screw when the carbs are supposed to be at idle position.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Mar 2012 15:17 #510446 by Diesel-Dr.
Replied by Diesel-Dr. on topic acts like it wants to run away
if i adjust the idle any lower it wont run, i have the carbs set to factory specs because the whole thing is completely stock. and there is nothing wrong with the throttle linkage. nothing in that system would make it accelerate like it is, it would just stay at a certain rpm. it doesn't instantly ram up it gradually climbs in rpm. if it is in the carbs the only thing it could be is the diaphragms i have looked at them but have not replaced them.

More
18 Mar 2012 22:23 #510534 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic acts like it wants to run away
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.
It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future. And may be changed whenever and as often as desired.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD