Petrol in exhaust on KZ1100!

More
23 Mar 2012 09:56 - 23 Mar 2012 10:02 #511432 by fergieuk
Replied by fergieuk on topic Petrol in exhaust on KZ1100!

DoubleDub wrote:

Patton wrote:

fergieuk wrote: ...still fuel in the exhaust!....

Suspect leaking float valve.
Combined with inoperative overflow circuit (if so fitted).

Good Fortune! :)

Likely, but 60% compression isn't from a leaky float valve.

not the brightest bike mechanic (actually a nurse :whistle: :whistle: ) so just use a diagnostic logic, so happy that float vale is shutting off fuel and there is a spark so.................

am I on the right lines thinking its probably a stuck inlet or exhaust valve? I have no desire to remove head unless I have to......thinking again (prob over-thinking :dry: :dry: ) would the lower compression be caused by a reduced cylinder volume if it was full of fuel???

does any of this make sense or do i need to think about it after a few beers and 12hours sleep :evil: :evil: :evil:

KZ1100D1
Last edit: 23 Mar 2012 10:02 by fergieuk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Mar 2012 10:11 #511438 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Petrol in exhaust on KZ1100!
Being the #1 carb/ cylinder with the flooding issue. Have you checked the diaphragm at the Fuel Petcock? It maybe hooked to the #1 cylinder, as opposed to #2 which would be factory. Just a thought.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: fergieuk

More
23 Mar 2012 10:42 #511441 by fergieuk

Motor Head wrote: Being the #1 carb/ cylinder with the flooding issue. Have you checked the diaphragm at the Fuel Petcock? It maybe hooked to the #1 cylinder, as opposed to #2 which would be factory. Just a thought.

How far do you live from Dundee in Scotland???

I am on my way to buy you a beer, :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Genius!!! Schoolboy error! connected it up wrong!!!!!! :blush: :blush: :blush:

KZ1100D1

More
23 Mar 2012 11:00 #511443 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Petrol in exhaust on KZ1100!
Where carbs are functioning correctly, fuel won't enter the crankcase.
This is because the fuel level inside the carb is being properly limited by the carb internals.

While a closed petcock may prevent fuel entry into the carb, a correctly functioning carb doesn't care whether the petcock is ever turned off.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Mar 2012 11:17 #511447 by fergieuk

Patton wrote: Where carbs are functioning correctly, fuel won't enter the crankcase.
This is because the fuel level inside the carb is being properly limited by the carb internals.

While a closed petcock may prevent fuel entry into the carb, a correctly functioning carb doesn't care whether the petcock is ever turned off.

Fair do's. I connected the pepcock to number 2 and now 1 is functioning fine......but now 2 & 3 not! I am going on a cruise for a week. Will get back to it on my return.

Cheers for now
Fergie

KZ1100D1

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Mar 2012 12:30 - 23 Mar 2012 12:34 #511469 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Petrol in exhaust on KZ1100!
If the problem with flooding moved, with the vacuum line to the petcock, then the diaphragm is bad.
Look for fuel coming from the petcock on the vacuum side of the diaphragm.
You should be able to disconnect the vacuum line, and plug off both ends. Also plug off any emission vacuum lines, or make sure all 4 of the nipples on your intakes are plugged/ sealed. Turn the petcock to "Prime",then it should run on all 4 if the rest is good.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 23 Mar 2012 12:34 by Motor Head.

More
23 Mar 2012 12:52 #511472 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Petrol in exhaust on KZ1100!
Where a petcock malfunction is allowing fuel to flow down through the vacuum hose into the carb holder, the fuel will likely flow on into the combustion chamber, and then down past the piston/rings into the crankcase.

Z1 Enterprises lists petcock diaphragms and petcock repair kits.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Mar 2012 13:00 #511473 by Patton

More
01 May 2012 18:47 #519164 by fergieuk
Just wanted to follow up on this. It seems it was petcock sucking fuel in after the carb to the cylinder. The oil was diluted with fuel so has been duly changed. Did 300 miles on her today and she ran like a dream......kinda :kiss: :kiss: :( am away to start a new topic about fuel economy so all the experts on this thread feel free to help out.

KZ1100D1

More
01 May 2012 20:04 #519180 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Petrol in exhaust on KZ1100!
For maximum fuel mileage:

1.Tire pressure; inflate to max amount shown on sidewalls by manufacturer.

2.Drive Train; lubed and adjusted chain, with litle to no "Tight Spots".

3.Brakes; put the bike on the centerstand & spin the wheels, looking for dragging brakes.

4.Air filter; should be clean with little restrictions.

5.Sparkplugs; a fresh set of plugs at recommended gap and heat range.

6.Fuel filter(if installed); a clean filter with no restrictions. The type for a car has restrictions, and is designed to be used with a fuel pump. Avoid the glass bodied type, as more than a few car and motorcycle fires have been caused by vibration cracking the filter.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)