weepin'

More
19 Feb 2012 19:29 #505132 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic weepin'
Definitely agree...Z1 great people to deal with in every reguard..

1982 kz1000ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2012 21:42 #505160 by Breaker19
Replied by Breaker19 on topic weepin'

Kawickrice wrote: Z1E has never steered me wrong. You can get the end plugs from them too.

One problem with Z1E: I like shopping there WAY too much! ;)

2003 Suzuki DR650 Dual-Sport
1982 KZ1100A2 - GONE! Traded-in for a '12 Concours 14
www.facebook.com/pages/Moto-Resto/169238286503527

More
19 Feb 2012 22:04 #505166 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic weepin'

TheFlyingFreemole wrote: So finally got back to work last week! :woohoo: ... which means I'll have money to throw at my bike again soon. I'm looking to order gaskets and am planning on replacing any/all of the upper end gaskets that need it. I've been looking around and there are several options for brands, and I've read on here mixed reviews. It seems that "Vesrah" is the better brand option, however I found some 'high end' kits that I'm not sure of.

There is a "redline cycle" gasket kit that runs for ~150.
redlinecycle.com/Gaskets%20-%20Redline%20Top%20Set.html

The Vesrah upper end kit goes for about 90 on redlinecycle too, but then I'd need to order cam end seals which run about 35-40, so I'm looking at ~130.
redlinecycle.com/Eng.%20Gask.%20Kits%20-%20Std.html

There are some kits on Z1E. One is the full engine gasket kit by Vesrah for about 80, it lacks cam ends too though.
www.z1enterprises.com/Gasket-Set--KZ1000...e-in-Japan-4363.aspx

Has anybody used the redlinecycle gasket kit? Is it worth the extra dough?

In terms of cam end seals, has anybody used the aluminum option (from redline)? Or should I stick to the Kaw OEM rubber.

Is the Z1E kit that much cheaper because of quality? Or is it a better deal?

Uggh, I wanna go with the Redline high end kit to avoid having to replace the gaskets again because they didn't last. BUT, I also don't want to spend any extra money on a kit if it isn't necessary.

There's absolutely no quality issues with the Vesrah gasket kits. I've used lots and lots of them. Good Stuff :)

Larry C.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2012 22:43 #505167 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic weepin'
No issues with the one Vesrah kit I have used - ordering one for my project too.

But Larry has likely used more of them than most people on here.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2012 22:45 - 19 Feb 2012 22:46 #505168 by DoubleDub
Would these cam end caps work for you? They're only $15.

www.z1enterprises.com/Cam-End-Plugs--bla...100-ZN1100-1883.aspx

Or these - they're only $9.

www.z1enterprises.com/Cam-end-plugs-4-Z1-KZ900-KZ1000-104.aspx
Last edit: 19 Feb 2012 22:46 by DoubleDub.

• TheFlyingFreemole
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Feb 2012 00:20 #505182 by TheFlyingFreemole
Replied by TheFlyingFreemole on topic weepin'
Sounds like Z1E and Vesrah are the way to go. Thanks all!

@DoubleDub
the $9 cam end plugs look like they'd work, I don't think the 15 dollar ones would fit.

Anybody have any experience going metal plugs?

I'm looking at the $9 ( www.z1enterprises.com/Cam-end-plugs-4-Z1-KZ900-KZ1000-104.aspx )
vs
or $30 Aluminum ( www.z1enterprises.com/Cam-End-Plugs--Alu...900-KZ1000-4359.aspx )

1977 KZ1000 LTD B1 (needs minor fine tuning)

More
20 Feb 2012 12:17 #505223 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic weepin'
i use the aluminum end plugs and would not use anything else.

thats my .02 fwiw.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2012 12:36 #505233 by DoubleDub

531blackbanshee wrote: i use the aluminum end plugs and would not use anything else.

thats my .02 fwiw.

leon

Leon - have you had problems with the OEM style rubber ones?

I personally have had no issues with the rubber style on my bike.

More
20 Feb 2012 12:55 #505238 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic weepin'

DoubleDub wrote: ...I personally have had no issues with the rubber style on my bike.

Having zero issues with the rubber oem style. :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheFlyingFreemole

• TheFlyingFreemole
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Feb 2012 22:31 #506749 by TheFlyingFreemole
Just made my first order from Z1E. I got the 'Vesrah' upper end kit, rubber oem cam ends, some tank emblem screws, side cover, tail lens, rear turn lens, stator cable grommet. Hopefully this will get my bike to quite leaking oil, and will make her just about completed (for me, for now).

I went with the rubber style cam end plugs. For one, they're less expensive. For two, I was informed from Z1E that there is a possibility of having to make small adjustments while fitting...

• TheFlyingFreemole
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Mar 2012 23:07 #508964 by TheFlyingFreemole
Got started on the bike today. Got the tank, tail, and side covers off and will sand, prime, and paint those. I'm thinking black, but dark blue isn't out of the question. Just gonna do my best with the ol' rattle cans.

While removing the exhaust I found that the left inside flange was broken in half. It appears the P.O.(S.) used some duck tape under the broken flange and called it good. Trying to figure out if I should just order the one flange, or for just barely double the price I can get all 4 flanges plus the mounting parts...

Wrestled the carburetor assembly off the bike. Got the better of me for a little while, but I eventually overcame.

Took the cam cover off, and removed the tachometer cable. I hadn't drained the oil yet, so just pulled the filter and am going to let it sit and drain overnight. I wasn't able to get the oil pan bolt pulled, I felt like it was going to strip... hoping that all/enough oil drains down thru the filter cover.

I had been planning on replacing all gaskets down to the base cylinder, but after looking around the engine I think I only need to replace down to the cylinder head gaskets and o-ring.

So from the cylinder head gaskets and up...
- Where do I add silicone sealant? Do I need multiple types of liquid sealant?
- Valves, not sure ... can I just leave these alone and be ok or are they going to be affected by adding new gaskets... Should I measure/adjust?
- Tappets, not sure ...but do I need to measure/adjust?
-Any other advise about rebuilding/resealing?

• TheFlyingFreemole
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Mar 2012 00:21 #512433 by TheFlyingFreemole
Finished putting the top end together this weekend. Got the carbs and exhaust back on today. All hoses hooked back up. Added oil. Tossed in a little gas. Spark plugs attached.

THE MOMENT OF GLORY... the bike wouldn't start up.

I was trying to kick start it. There wasn't that much gas in the tank, but I could see the in-line filters filled up. Will add more gas to the tank and hope for better results tomorrow.

Something I noticed though. It seemed like it wasn't shifting, or like it wouldn't go past N to 2. It was hard to get it to go from N to 1 too. Not like it was hard or had a lot of resistance to shift, but that when I would press the shift lever it would move all the way and nothing would happen. Could I have caused this? I pulled the top end off and replaced the head gaskets and O-ring, replaced the cam end plugs. I had the bike in Neutral throughout the entire process...

While working on the top end, could I have messed something up with the clutch, shifting lever, something that would cause lack of shifting problem?