Help out a Noob...

• ryanlynn2004
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Sep 2011 14:34 #475408 by ryanlynn2004
Help out a Noob... was created by ryanlynn2004
Ok guys, I need your help. I am not the most mechanically inclined person. I just recently learned how to change the oil on my truck about 24 months ago...but I have only built up from there. Now I am doing basic routine maintenance.

Ok, here is the situation. I own a 1982 KZ440 and I changed the oil on it one night and the next I took a 200+ mile bike ride. About 140 miles into it, smoke was going everywhere and I think I was running on 1 cylinder because I maxed out at 40 mph. I got about 5 miles from the house when it completely died. It was basically completely out of oil.

On the tank it says "2.9 liters", so I put in a little less than 3 (I didnt measure exactly). A buddy of mine said that I filled it way to much and that I possibly blew a gasket.

Is there a manual for motorcycles like cars have or can you guys give me some sound advice on what I should do.

I only paid $1000 for it, so I dont want to take it to a shop. Plus I figured it is a good way to learn. Thanks guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
09 Sep 2011 14:46 #475414 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Help out a Noob...
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere you go:

You're story sounds ominous to me. Are you saying that you ran it out of oil on your ride? If so, then there will probably be a lot of collateral damage inside that motor. Could you tell if the oil was leaking out somewhere, or was is being burned out of the tailpipes? Had the bike functioned correctly prior to the oil change that you did?

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• ryanlynn2004
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Sep 2011 14:55 #475415 by ryanlynn2004
Replied by ryanlynn2004 on topic Help out a Noob...
Yes it ran fine before. When it finally stopped working, the window showed very little oil but still some. I put in 2 quarts of oil once it ran out, but it still didnt work.

Once I got to the point where I maxed out at 40 mph, I noticed that it was leaking on the left side of the oil pan. I also noticed a lot of oil at the back side of the left tailpipe as well, but the spark plug on that side was clean.

More
09 Sep 2011 15:21 #475420 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Help out a Noob...
If you put 2 quarts of oil in it and it was showing some on the sight glass you definitely overfilled it to the point where I wouldn't expect it to run right.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
09 Sep 2011 15:24 #475423 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Help out a Noob...
I agree, that manual will be your best friend. I would ask, did you have it on it's center stand when you put oil in it? (I don't know if the 440 has a center stand) Or did you have it on its side stand? How much time did you give it to cool off before you tried to ride it again? If it was completely out of oil, then like testarosa said, there may be a lot of damage inside. These kawi's are tough, so time will tell. I'd say drain the oil again, and see if there is anything in it, like metal shavings or anything. Also see how much comes out. Did you replace the filter too? I'd take that out and see how it looks. I'd replace the oil pan gasket just for good measure if it looked like it was leaking from there. Then when you put it back together, make sure everything is snug around the pan, and make sure to change the o-ring on the drain plug. When you put in the new oil, make sure the bike is on its center stand, and add 2 liters and wait a minute or so and check the level through the window. Then add more slowly, giving time for it to filter down and register in the window. Just add about 1/4 of a liter at a time. And remember, liters are different than quarts. ;) After filling it up, I'd try to turn the engine over (with the key off) by hand or with the kickstart if you have one, to see if it anything is seized. If it spins, then I'd try to turn it over.
This is how I'd tackle it. Does this sound right to anyone else? Or am I missing something?

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

More
09 Sep 2011 16:11 #475437 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Help out a Noob...

ryanlynn2004 wrote: Yes it ran fine before. When it finally stopped working, the window showed very little oil but still some. I put in 2 quarts of oil once it ran out, but it still didnt work.

Once I got to the point where I maxed out at 40 mph, I noticed that it was leaking on the left side of the oil pan. I also noticed a lot of oil at the back side of the left tailpipe as well, but the spark plug on that side was clean.

If by "ran out" you mean once oil was below the window that is too much; if you mean when the bike ran out of oil thant is too late. The oil on these bikes is extremely easy to check. Just put the bike on the centerstand and look in the little round window. Fill carefully until the oil is toward, but not above, the top mark next to the window. Add oil slowly and wait a bit as you do it to give the oil time to rise in the window. And get that manual if you plan to keep the bike. Did you look under the seat for the Owner's Manual? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Sep 2011 16:50 #475457 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help out a Noob...
Easy oil level check ---

Click > www.kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/318467-easy-oil-level-check

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 May 2015 22:34 #672947 by Jbosh
Replied by Jbosh on topic Help out a Noob...
Ryanlynn,
Did you ever find the source of your problem? Did your bike ever get going again?
It would be great to hear an update. I hear you on the learning as you go part.
Cheers

As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

More
20 May 2015 23:46 - 21 May 2015 05:57 #672951 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Help out a Noob...
[strike]I doubt you'll see a reply from him. He joined the forum in Sept. 2011 and last visited the forum in Oct. 2011[/strike]. I suspect he gave up. Ed

EDIT - I see he did reply even though he did give up on the bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 21 May 2015 05:57 by 650ed.

• ryanlynn2004
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 May 2015 05:14 #672953 by ryanlynn2004
Replied by ryanlynn2004 on topic Help out a Noob...
Jbosh,

I ended up taking it to 2 mechanics, both said the engine was shot. I ended up giving to a buddy of mine for trade for work he did on my truck and he said the same thing. Sorry I couldnt have been more help.