Removing chain on a KZ1000p/help

More
02 May 2006 18:49 #44603 by Sweet Back
Removing chain on a KZ1000p/help was created by Sweet Back
I've looked through the sight and haven't had much luck. I need to remove my chain and it appears that I need to remove the front sprocket. Now before I go ape sh!t pulling things apart, I read the manual and it says to remove the rear tire and swing arm. Sounds like a a lot of work to me. I saw one post regarding a "shield" removable by 3 bolts, mine seems to be a part of the whole unit, in other words not removable. I do need to keep this chain, any suggestions.

Oh! I did try removing the front sprocket, big @ss socket wrench, one guy holding the back of the bike, another on the brake, wouldn't budge, and yes, I flattened the "retainer washer" or whatever you call it.

Suggestions please!!!! This appears to be my only obstacle so far with the switching of motors. (fingers crossed)

1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2006 18:58 #44604 by Sweet Back
Replied by Sweet Back on topic Removing chain on a KZ1000p/help
is it possible that this curve will allow me to loosen the back tire, hence the chain, then maybe guide it off this sprocket? make sense?

1996 KZ1000P

Attachments:

More
02 May 2006 19:01 #44605 by Sweet Back
this curve

1996 KZ1000P

Attachments:

More
02 May 2006 20:40 #44663 by Darth
Replied by Darth on topic Removing chain on a KZ1000p/help
There is actually a “tool” that you’re supposed to insert in the holes in the sprocket to stabilize (hold) it.

I have been running a “master link” on my built 1075cc for about 20 years with no problems. I bought new chain and sprockets and cut the old one off with a parting wheel so I didn’t have to remove the swing arm. If you can find a “master link” you would be in business.

Do a search for the words MASTER LINK and read through the results … I didn’t read through, but I got a lot of hits on the search.

Wait a few, and see what the other guys say. This is just what I did.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
02 May 2006 20:58 #44670 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Removing chain on a KZ1000p/help
Ditto. Removing the swingarm to release the chain seems a bit like having a proctologist do your brain surgery...

There are "peen" type master links that dispense with the clip - essentially, you install the plate and peen the pin ends like bucking a rivet. Done right, it's ultra reliable.

Used a lot of clip-type links over the years, and only ever lost one clip - but not the plate and the chain stayed put for who knows how long. My fix for that was when installing a clip, I wipe it down with laquer thinner, take a striping brush and paint the clip white. Part of the pre-ride center stand check is to spin the wheel and look for a patch of white.

Sounds like a 600 pound gorilla put that countershaft nut on...

More
03 May 2006 06:18 #44742 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Removing chain on a KZ1000p/help
Remove the swingarm? Bwhhahahaha WHY?

Sorry... The chain is likely endless. Take out the rear axle. Slip the tire forward and you should have plenty of room to push the chain forward. If you really want to remove the 27mm nut, use an impact driver. I use Red Loctite on this nut on ALL my bikes and you won't have much luck with a breaker bar hehe... If you get sick of trying to get the nut removed, cut the chain and reinstall it with a master link. You will need to grind off one link and replace it with a master link. This will make chain removal much easier in the future. I am not sure how many links are on your cop bike chain but they did change lengths during the run of the "P" series. Check with Jeff at www.z1enterprises.com for a new chain, sprockets and the washer and use Loctite when reinstalling the countershaft sprocket nut.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
03 May 2006 06:43 #44750 by kz1000g
Replied by kz1000g on topic Removing chain on a KZ1000p/help
I had a problem with the front spocket one time and it took a breaker bar and a 3 foot piece of pipe to break the nut loose.

Also, are some of those spockets put on with left handed thresds?

More
03 May 2006 15:23 #44875 by Sweet Back
Ok well, no revelations about removing it, what I did realize is that I bought a new chain over a year ago so it had a link I could pop. Bought a new master link and all is well. Thanks all for your help.

1996 KZ1000P

More
04 May 2006 11:49 #45076 by wiredgeorge
Can't you get access to an air impact wrench and 27mm socket? What the heck are you looking for.

Two ways to get it off...

1. (easiest) air impact wrench
2. big breaker bar with a pipe over the end for leverage

There is one other way... take a cut off wheel or use a chisel and split the nut. Make sure you have a new nut on hand. It is 27mm outside (socket side) and 20mm thread. I can't swear but I think it is 1.5 pitch... I buy them several at a time from Maryland Metric and could look at the invoice. The secret is to find a nut thin enough... the ones I get are 30mm on the outside as it is near impossible to find 27mm nuts but the 30mm works fine.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 May 2006 11:51 #45078 by wiredgeorge
Oh yeah... put your location in your sig line. There is likely a KZRider member near you who could get that nut off in seconds with an impact wrench... You could also buy an electric impact wrench. They are pretty cheap and available at Harbor Freight among places that sell tools. I would use a stronger torque air impact wrench, given the choice.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!