crank splash pan installed on 76 Z1E

More
12 Feb 2011 19:24 #430317 by tazzz
In disassembling my engine I found a crank oil splash pan being held in place with an APE main brng cap. Also the motor has an extra deep oil pan, looks stock but much, much deeper. The oil pan holds nearly a full quart of oil with a gate installed to keep oil at the sump during hard accelleration.

My question is in converting to street from drag racing will the crank shield be a problem? I plan to use the extra deep oil pan with an oil cooler added.

Also the clutch is being replaced with a Barnett clutch that came with the bike as well as other drag race engine parts. Is this going to be a problem on the street?

I have always used the stock clutch package with no slippage or locking up with proper adjustment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2011 21:21 #430330 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic crank splash pan installed on 76 Z1E
check pan for header clearance,unless youre running a sidewinder.
buy some ear plugs and a brace for your left hand :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2011 05:22 #430371 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic crank splash pan installed on 76 Z1E
tazzz wrote:

In disassembling my engine I found a crank oil splash pan being held in place with an APE main brng cap. Also the motor has an extra deep oil pan, looks stock but much, much deeper. The oil pan holds nearly a full quart of oil with a gate installed to keep oil at the sump during hard accelleration.

My question is in converting to street from drag racing will the crank shield be a problem? I plan to use the extra deep oil pan with an oil cooler added.

Also the clutch is being replaced with a Barnett clutch that came with the bike as well as other drag race engine parts. Is this going to be a problem on the street?

I have always used the stock clutch package with no slippage or locking up with proper adjustment.

Those Barnett clutch plates are best left out of the motor. They beat up the fingers on the clutch basket and then the clutch drags at red lights. Put a stock clutch in it ;) Sell those Barnetts on Ebay.

More
13 Feb 2011 05:44 #430372 by tazzz
Replied by tazzz on topic crank splash pan installed on 76 Z1E
In going through the extra parts I did find damaged clutch baskets with notches down the finders in a sort of pattern.

It also came with a number of new and used stock clutch components.

The oil pan was on the bike when I got it with a sidewinder exhaust installed.

I have never heard anything good about running the Barnetts on the street and thats why I posed the question.

THANKS

More
13 Feb 2011 15:41 #430489 by gane
Replied by gane on topic crank splash pan installed on 76 Z1E
I would, Retain the "splash plates", as they A can do no harm, & may well reduce ariation of oil swept by crank weights. The Barnett cl. is a judgement call. Barnett friction plates DO give additional "grab", & in some instances have narrower center plates. both can accelerate basket wear. BUT, (IMHO) the biggest drawback is, 1, that because of the friction materiel used, they change "engage point" from cold to hot, & 2, they have a tendancy to "stick" to steel plates after prolonged "sitting". & 3rd are often cound in conjunction w/ heavy springs. I like stock stuff.. Yes OE plates are more expensive, but they work/wear well. & stock springs/proper cable & lever/perch/actuators when "correct" provide a "feel" which is almost effortless. just my 2 cents G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
13 Feb 2011 16:22 #430495 by gearheadmm
Replied by gearheadmm on topic crank splash pan installed on 76 Z1E
Crank windage tray and gate OK on the street but never use a trans windage tray on anything but a dragbike, starves trans of oil. SELL the Barnets

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
21 Feb 2011 17:55 #432557 by gearheadmm
Replied by gearheadmm on topic crank splash pan installed on 76 Z1E
For a while someone who shall remain nameless, used to run busa plates in his blackbird, and he used to give me his blackbird plates so I could run them in my KZ. They worked very good and don't chew up the basket, very similar to KZs;)

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled