GPZ1100 head

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2011 13:25 - 08 Feb 2011 13:29 #429475 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic GPZ1100 head
CoreyClough wrote:

Not 1100 related, but with my experience, top end power is limited with just bigger carbs(CV30 from TK27), and a +3mm bore kit(615) on my GPz550. Stock intake and exhaust valving, cams, RD Springs, APE Rebuild, and mild hand porting with combustion smoothing. Even with the 615 kit I've resulted in going from 27 to 36 ft lbs of torque. Next on the list is installing a set of Megacycle Cams(Stage 3), and degreeing them. I'm intake and exhaust breathing limited, so these cams will hopefully add to the top end, and gain even more midrange.

It all depends on where you want the power to come on.

Some day I'll have to 1/4 mile this bike. All stock, including airbox and exhaust, it will run 12.74 @ 104 mph, as my friend did this consistantly.

Carry on, this is good reading. I've subscribed! B)

Those cams should work! Get Jay to port do a full port job on it and make you up some bigger intake valves.

Are you running real racing compression or street pistons?

Otto, notice I didn't say a word about those nasty things hanging out of your intake boots buddy... ;)
Last edit: 08 Feb 2011 13:29 by larrycavan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2011 16:07 #429517 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic GPZ1100 head
larrycavan wrote:

CoreyClough wrote:

Not 1100 related, but with my experience, top end power is limited with just bigger carbs(CV30 from TK27), and a +3mm bore kit(615) on my GPz550. Stock intake and exhaust valving, cams, RD Springs, APE Rebuild, and mild hand porting with combustion smoothing. Even with the 615 kit I've resulted in going from 27 to 36 ft lbs of torque. Next on the list is installing a set of Megacycle Cams(Stage 3), and degreeing them. I'm intake and exhaust breathing limited, so these cams will hopefully add to the top end, and gain even more midrange.

Some day I'll have to 1/4 mile this bike. All stock, including airbox and exhaust, it will run 12.74 @ 104 mph, as my friend did this consistantly.

Those cams should work! Get Jay to port do a full port job on it and make you up some bigger intake valves.

Otto, notice I didn't say a word about those nasty things hanging out of your intake boots buddy... ;)

I did mention those for your benefit. :laugh: ;)

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
08 Feb 2011 16:37 #429525 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic GPZ1100 head
larrycavan wrote:

CoreyClough wrote:

Didn't mean to pirate this thread. but to answer yuor question, I am running 10.25:1 the Wiseco Kit States, using 91 Octane pump gas. Bigger valves are on the list for the next engine build, that and a balanced crank, if I can afford it. All said and done, I am trying to keep it under $800.00 a race weekend, multiply that times 7 rounds a season... :blink:

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2011 18:57 - 08 Feb 2011 19:01 #429550 by larrycavan
CoreyClough wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

CoreyClough wrote:

Didn't mean to pirate this thread. but to answer yuor question, I am running 10.25:1 the Wiseco Kit States, using 91 Octane pump gas. Bigger valves are on the list for the next engine build, that and a balanced crank, if I can afford it. All said and done, I am trying to keep it under $800.00 a race weekend, multiply that times 7 rounds a season... :blink:

What carbs do you have Corey?

Did Megacycle say if you can get by with OEM buckets? I expect those cams are going to want more spring and I don't know about OEM buckets holding up with more spring against them.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2011 19:01 by larrycavan.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2011 19:03 #429552 by larrycavan
otakar wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

CoreyClough wrote:

I did mention those for your benefit. :laugh: ;)

:laugh: Go BS34 or don't go at all :woohoo:

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
09 Feb 2011 04:22 #429596 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic GPZ1100 head
larrycavan wrote:

CoreyClough wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

CoreyClough wrote:

Did Megacycle say if you can get by with OEM buckets? I expect those cams are going to want more spring and I don't know about OEM buckets holding up with more spring against them.

CV30 Carbs from a ZR550 Zephyr.

Megacycle didn't suggest changing anything except for the springs to R/D Springs for these cams. I am running these springs in the racebike with the stock ZX Cams. These cams came in an engine in a parts bike of mine, and one lobe was chipped, so I sent them in to Megacycle for cleaning up. There is a stamp on them that dates April 1986, and the bike they cam out of is a 1985 with 5900 on the odometer. Megacycle states they showed signs of valve float, so I changed the springs.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
09 Feb 2011 20:03 #429722 by larrycavan
CoreyClough wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

CoreyClough wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

CoreyClough wrote:

CV30 Carbs from a ZR550 Zephyr.

Megacycle didn't suggest changing anything except for the springs to R/D Springs for these cams. I am running these springs in the racebike with the stock ZX Cams. These cams came in an engine in a parts bike of mine, and one lobe was chipped, so I sent them in to Megacycle for cleaning up. There is a stamp on them that dates April 1986, and the bike they cam out of is a 1985 with 5900 on the odometer. Megacycle states they showed signs of valve float, so I changed the springs.

A rack of CRS would be nice with all the other work you have planned :)

More
12 Feb 2011 18:22 - 12 Feb 2011 18:24 #430302 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic GPZ1100 head
It sucks I am reading all this great cam info. Seems an though Kawi mismatched the components on my '84 1100... (at least with respect to street usable power)

I would love the have a GPz 1100 that pulls the mid like a GS1100, and pulls top end like a SUB GPz1100.... BUT out of compassion and dedication to maintaining a 100% original 1984 GPz1100 I must decline the temptation on "better" aftermarket street cams...:unsure:

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy
Last edit: 12 Feb 2011 18:24 by Polar_Bus.

More
12 Feb 2011 18:52 #430310 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic GPZ1100 head
I had larry do me a set off custom .415lift cams for my 84 GPZ1100 but i am going 1170cc one of larrys stage 1 heads and the bored throttle bodies from pogue, my goal was to look stock except for pipe and run like a scalded dog. Larry how is turn time on heads now ????

1984 750 Turbo

More
13 Feb 2011 00:49 #430354 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic GPZ1100 head
DFIGPZ wrote:

I had larry do me a set off custom .415lift cams for my 84 GPZ1100 but i am going 1170cc one of larrys stage 1 heads and the bored throttle bodies from pogue, my goal was to look stock except for pipe and run like a scalded dog. Larry how is turn time on heads now ????

Larrys been turning heads in record time since his college days! :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :blink: :blush: :S :kiss: :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2011 04:33 #430365 by larrycavan
DFIGPZ wrote:

Get it up here.... Bonneville head, GS head & KZ head for an 1197 on the bench at the moment... ;)

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2011 04:35 #430366 by larrycavan
PLUMMEN wrote:

DFIGPZ wrote:

Larrys been turning heads in record time since his college days! :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :blink: :blush: :S :kiss: :woohoo:

:laugh: You're OD on Mountain Dew again Jimbo.... time to go night - night. Brush your "tooth" and get your jammies on like a good little corn husker.... :woohoo: