'84 ZX1100 GPZ Engine Will Not Stay Running

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
31 Jan 2011 08:04 - 31 Jan 2011 09:43 #427347 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic '84 ZX1100 GPZ Engine Will Not Stay Running
Yes the sensor is for the EFI bikes, great that you have a manual that shows the resistor. They must have made a calibration err, and made up for it with the external resistor, I'm guessing. This is basically what you see with some of these Ebay "Super Chips", they are resistors that go in for the Temp Sensor to fool the computer into seeing a colder engine, for more fuel.
Anyway check for voltage with your meter at the bulb sockets as the amount of current will be to low to actually light up those bulbs.

>>Is there anyway for you to Post the wiring schematic for the Fuel Injection and the Main one for the bike? This would help others in the future.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 31 Jan 2011 09:43 by Motor Head.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2011 08:06 #427348 by kevsell
Replied by kevsell on topic '84 ZX1100 GPZ Engine Will Not Stay Running
Thanks for the guidance Motor Head. I'll be out of town for a few weeks on business, so I'll check it whenever I get back.

More
01 Feb 2011 05:03 #427608 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic '84 ZX1100 GPZ Engine Will Not Stay Running
kevsell wrote:

Thanks for the guidance Motor Head. I'll be out of town for a few weeks on business, so I'll check it whenever I get back.

Great progress ! I know the resistor you speak of. Is it the one thats enclosed in a rubber sleeve about 6" long and runs along the DFI harness ?

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
01 Feb 2011 05:27 #427612 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic '84 ZX1100 GPZ Engine Will Not Stay Running
I've got a harness with that resistor.

More
01 Feb 2011 05:39 #427615 by kevsell
Yes Polar Bus. That's the one. I found an intermittent open in the wire from the resistor to the CDU. I haven't had time yet to replace the section of wire, but I'm hoping like heck that it will solve my problem. I found it by putting one lead of an ohmeter on one side of the resistor and the other lead on grey wire terminal of the CDU connector. WHile looking at the ohmeter, I tugged on the wire and found the ohmeter reading open intermittently. It could be happening when the bike starts running and the vibration moves the wire. That's why the CDU thinks that the engine is overtemping.

More
01 Feb 2011 09:45 #427644 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic '84 ZX1100 GPZ Engine Will Not Stay Running
kevsell wrote:

Yes Polar Bus. That's the one. I found an intermittent open in the wire from the resistor to the CDU. I haven't had time yet to replace the section of wire, but I'm hoping like heck that it will solve my problem. I found it by putting one lead of an ohmeter on one side of the resistor and the other lead on grey wire terminal of the CDU connector. WHile looking at the ohmeter, I tugged on the wire and found the ohmeter reading open intermittently. It could be happening when the bike starts running and the vibration moves the wire. That's why the CDU thinks that the engine is overtemping.

So are you thinking the resistor itself is faulty, or do you think you have an electrical short within the resistor harness ?

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

More
01 Feb 2011 09:54 #427648 by kevsell
I've ohmed out the resistor while shaking and bending and twisting it, and never could get the reading to fluctuate. But, when I try it with the wire from the CDU connector to the resistor is goes in and out of continuity. I think what happened is the way that the wire is folded and the rubber sleeve is put over it, over time (almost 20 years now) the wiring inside of the insulation somehow broke and is losing contact when it gets moved in a certain direction, becasue of the tight bend that was put on the wire when it was inserted into the rubber sleeve. I am planning on Cutting the grey wire about 6" from the CDU connector and solder spicing a new wire from that point and then solder splice it to the resistor. That should eliminate the suspect section of wire. Then, I'll test the wire again with my ohmeter and try to run the bike and see what I got.

More
01 Feb 2011 10:53 #427658 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic '84 ZX1100 GPZ Engine Will Not Stay Running
Try to mount the repair as isolated from vibration as possible, if not the problem will happen again.

Motorcycles are similar to high performance aircraft; that is, the parts will try their best to fly off and disappear. That's why safety wire,locktite,self locking nuts,lockwashers and cotter pins were invented.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)