max cam lift for stock 1000 guides

More
21 Dec 2010 19:30 #418152 by nads.com
max cam lift for stock 1000 guides was created by nads.com
?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
22 Dec 2010 06:03 #418195 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic max cam lift for stock 1000 guides
You have to clearance the head for cams that would cause keeper to seal collisions anyway so put some better guides in it or check it with light springs.

But to answer your specific question, I would not go over .420"

More
22 Dec 2010 12:53 #418221 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic max cam lift for stock 1000 guides
larrycavan wrote:

You have to clearance the head for cams that would cause keeper to seal collisions anyway so put some better guides in it or check it with light springs.

But to answer your specific question, I would not go over .420"

Is .420 max lift for retainer to guide or retainer to seal clearance? :huh:

More
22 Dec 2010 14:43 #418232 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic max cam lift for stock 1000 guides
Is there still a KZ out there with the original guides?

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
22 Dec 2010 14:46 - 22 Dec 2010 15:18 #418234 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic max cam lift for stock 1000 guides
the one i rode yesterday

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 22 Dec 2010 15:18 by trianglelaguna.

More
22 Dec 2010 15:14 #418237 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic max cam lift for stock 1000 guides
Well in this case Larry was probably the only one here who knew the answer.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
22 Dec 2010 17:09 #418252 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic max cam lift for stock 1000 guides
trianglelaguna wrote:

the one i rode yesterday

The one I rode today.bj

More
22 Dec 2010 22:25 #418276 by nads.com
I inteneded to replace the guides but they were so tight they hardly moved. I'll clean the guides and valve stem then see if they loosen up, I took off 2 or three valves and two didnt move and one I could feel some movement but very little. It was an exhaust valve. If it was an oversight I'll replace them. The just seemd like new. It's a 78kz 1000. Steel guides I believe. I have to grind the head now and smooth out some turbulence areas I created when porting. Not many :) I'm not taking pride in the grinding on this head, how concentric and smooth, I just did what I thought would give the pressure ereas a more room so the air can get by without getting rammed into a small space and restricted at that point.

The jugs I could fit .002 alongside the skirt with my piston half down the bore. My jugs? these were bored 5 tears ago. .003 and I didn't try 4 it was getting cold holding the piston. checked them all. Damn consistant on the drag in the 1000 jug.

I laid the jugs upside down and put cardboard under my jug to seal it. The other was face down on the desk top. Rough, gouged, drilled. Without rings my piston made more pressure sliding it up and down fast in the 1000 jug. Alot more pressure I was real happy about that. Both pistons seemed pretty close but the wisecos got it by a tad. Lot of pressure in the 1000 jug! Almost none in mine and I put it on that card board. No difference, lol. I think both pistons shrunk. Hear comes the painful part, yep, .006 and even .007 between the pin side and the sleeve! O MY . I think In the 1000 jug it was around .004 or .005.

What can I say it was getting cold. Now I got a stupid question. The rings seemd dull on the sides. Are they supposed to be sharp? If they are and it's good to be .... I'll sharpen them :woohoo: . the tension seemed good on them. I do alot of guess work. But in the end I'm gonna blow somebody's doors off I just know it. :laugh:

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
23 Dec 2010 09:13 #418295 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic max cam lift for stock 1000 guides
Rings sharpened? Not sure what you mean, but usuall you just check the end gap and throw them in (correct orientation).

You should be making your measurements with all the components at the same mean temperature, around comfortable room temperature. Else you may be blowing up past somebody when clearances get really tight hot. All this stuff shrinks alot when temps get really cold.

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
23 Dec 2010 14:07 #418312 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic max cam lift for stock 1000 guides
nads.com wrote:

I inteneded to replace the guides but they were so tight they hardly moved. I'll clean the guides and valve stem then see if they loosen up, I took off 2 or three valves and two didnt move and one I could feel some movement but very little. It was an exhaust valve. If it was an oversight I'll replace them. The just seemd like new. It's a 78kz 1000. Steel guides I believe. I have to grind the head now and smooth out some turbulence areas I created when porting. Not many :) I'm not taking pride in the grinding on this head, how concentric and smooth, I just did what I thought would give the pressure ereas a more room so the air can get by without getting rammed into a small space and restricted at that point.

The jugs I could fit .002 alongside the skirt with my piston half down the bore. My jugs? these were bored 5 tears ago. .003 and I didn't try 4 it was getting cold holding the piston. checked them all. Damn consistant on the drag in the 1000 jug.

I laid the jugs upside down and put cardboard under my jug to seal it. The other was face down on the desk top. Rough, gouged, drilled. Without rings my piston made more pressure sliding it up and down fast in the 1000 jug. Alot more pressure I was real happy about that. Both pistons seemed pretty close but the wisecos got it by a tad. Lot of pressure in the 1000 jug! Almost none in mine and I put it on that card board. No difference, lol. I think both pistons shrunk. Hear comes the painful part, yep, .006 and even .007 between the pin side and the sleeve! O MY . I think In the 1000 jug it was around .004 or .005.

What can I say it was getting cold. Now I got a stupid question. The rings seemd dull on the sides. Are they supposed to be sharp? If they are and it's good to be .... I'll sharpen them :woohoo: . the tension seemed good on them. I do alot of guess work. But in the end I'm gonna blow somebody's doors off I just know it. :laugh:

Look at the runners in the roof on each side of the guide. If you have high spots or low spots, level them. They're flow killers.

Watch the corners of the short side where they blend around to the seat. You can loose 10 CFM in a heartbeat if you muck that up. You can also get it right back but you first have to know that you lost it :woohoo:

More
24 Dec 2010 01:56 - 24 Dec 2010 12:39 #418397 by nads.com
larrycavan wrote:

nads.com wrote:

Look at the runners in the roof on each side of the guide. If you have high spots or low spots, level them. They're flow killers.

Watch the corners of the short side where they blend around to the seat. You can loose 10 CFM in a heartbeat if you muck that up. You can also get it right back but you first have to know that you lost it :woohoo:

I got lost as to what to do to the alumuninum that lies in and around the bend, so the perfect example of what you said, was comparable to sex witout an orgasm. :side:
I bleieve I cut in sideways to straighten the angle to the seat. I may have blended down the material above the seat in that corner. OH NO! And he rounds the corner with the grinder, RRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG, there goes another 10cfm. Glad I got the forum to let me know when my boat is sinking. So after 11daze on the island no rare porting stones were found among the volcanic ash. lying there in the sand awaiting my final breath, a kzrider stood over me and whispered four words I'll never forget. Your going to die :woohoo: ant feed :woohoo:
Last edit: 24 Dec 2010 12:39 by nads.com.