piston/cylinder clearence?

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
11 Dec 2010 18:24 #416407 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic piston/cylinder clearence?
Joe, I'm going to side with timebomb33 here. I'm a machinist, and I use these tools daily. While, you can buy a 2"-3" OD mic and measure the pistons easily enough. Measuring the bores requires some touch with any of the tools you have listed. I don't doubt that you can learn to use telescoping gauges, or a bore gauge, or even an ID mic set. However, you must consider how often you will need these items in the future. If this is a one time deal, then just find a reputable machine shop, and they shouldn't charge you too much to measure the bores and pistons. Honestly this is a 10 minute job for someone with the tools.

If you plan on building numerous engines in the future, then you need to buy better measuring tools than the ones listed. Let's look at what a decent bore gauge set really costs:

www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1752232&PMT4NO=0

And some decent OD mics:

www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1751409&PMT4NO=0

Now these are professional measuring tools that I would use at work. Actually you can get close enough measurements with cheaper tools, but as I said the bore measurements are a little more tricky. I know more than one person who makes a living as a machinist and can't set up a bore gauge for himself.

My point is why waste your money on $100 of cheap measuring tools of dubious quality for a one time job. I wouldn't charge a stranger more than $20 to measure all the bores, and pistons with a report of my findings. You shouldn't pay much more than that to have a shop measure your's. Hell if you can't find a fair price in FLA, ship 'em to me, and I'll do it for you. You pay for the shipping both ways and I'll measure and send you a report free of charge.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
11 Dec 2010 18:28 #416408 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic piston/cylinder clearence?
testarossa wrote:

Joe, I'm going to side with timebomb33 here. I'm a machinist, and I use these tools daily. While, you can buy a 2"-3" OD mic and measure the pistons easily enough. Measuring the bores requires some touch with any of the tools you have listed. I don't doubt that you can learn to use telescoping gauges, or a bore gauge, or even an ID mic set. However, you must consider how often you will need these items in the future. If this is a one time deal, then just find a reputable machine shop, and they shouldn't charge you too much to measure the bores and pistons. Honestly this is a 10 minute job for someone with the tools.

If you plan on building numerous engines in the future, then you need to buy better measuring tools than the ones listed. Let's look at what a decent bore gauge set really costs:

www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1752232&PMT4NO=0

And some decent OD mics:

www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1751409&PMT4NO=0

Now these are professional measuring tools that I would use at work. Actually you can get close enough measurements with cheaper tools, but as I said the bore measurements are a little more tricky. I know more than one person who makes a living as a machinist and can't set up a bore gauge for himself.

My point is why waste your money on $100 of cheap measuring tools of dubious quality for a one time job. I wouldn't charge a stranger more than $20 to measure all the bores, and pistons with a report of my findings. You shouldn't pay much more than that to have a shop measure your's. Hell if you can't find a fair price in FLA, ship 'em to me, and I'll do it for you. You pay for the shipping both ways and I'll measure and send you a report free of charge.

craig, i spent a few minutes on the phone with timebomb. nice guy. i am going to find a shop that will measure them for me. can i bring them to a automobile machine shop? i know of a quality one locally, or does it have to be a bike shop? (they seem to charge more)

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

• testarossa
  • User
More
11 Dec 2010 18:54 #416414 by testarossa
I'm not sure why you keep calling me Craig, but I won't fault you for that. I wouldn't hesitate to take it to an automotive machine shop. Screw the MC guy if he wants $200 to measure, that's just stupid. Pistons and cylinders are the same if they're little motorcycle pistons or 18" diameter natural gas compressor pistons.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
11 Dec 2010 19:12 #416417 by kz1k
testarossa wrote:

I'm not sure why you keep calling me Craig, but I won't fault you for that. I wouldn't hesitate to take it to an automotive machine shop. Screw the MC guy if he wants $200 to measure, that's just stupid. Pistons and cylinders are the same if they're little motorcycle pistons or 18" diameter natural gas compressor pistons.

im sorry, i keep getting you and tri mixed up. ill bring it down to the machine shop on monday. thanks again everyone for your help. ill get back to you with the #'s. Joe

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

• testarossa
  • User
More
11 Dec 2010 20:19 #416435 by testarossa
kz1k wrote:

testarossa wrote:

im sorry, i keep getting you and tri mixed up. ill bring it down to the machine shop on monday. thanks again everyone for your help. ill get back to you with the #'s. Joe

I'm not quite as tall as tri. It's cool. No worries.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
12 Dec 2010 21:04 #416667 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic piston/cylinder clearence?
You can not check piston to wall clearances with a digital caliper, or snap gauges, etc. It takes a micrometer and a high quality "tenth reading" dial bore gauge.

If you don't have those things, save your money and take or send the block and pistons to someone who does, and get the correct info.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
12 Dec 2010 21:17 #416670 by kz1k
APE Jay wrote:

You can not check piston to wall clearances with a digital caliper, or snap gauges, etc. It takes a micrometer and a high quality "tenth reading" dial bore gauge.

If you don't have those things, save your money and take or send the block and pistons to someone who does, and get the correct info.

thanks jay.

1978 KZ1000A2