Quick release spark plug...

More
11 Dec 2010 12:18 #416365 by MAYHEM
Quick release spark plug... was created by MAYHEM
Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2010 12:35 #416370 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Quick release spark plug...
try to find a product called time serts if done right you can doit with the head still on the engine i have done it myself on more than one occasion.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
11 Dec 2010 13:22 #416379 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Quick release spark plug...
great clip...nice trick...can you do all four.....

Tims right....

they make a cheaper solution but it is get what you pay for...you need a thread repair kit (heli coil kit)for that size spark plug

this i a clip i googled but it shows the basic idea

www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/4212608

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
11 Dec 2010 14:41 #416389 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Quick release spark plug...
if you are going to do it don't be tempted to use helicoils like they say in that write up they will come out and also they don't deal well with high cylinder head temps and high compression pressures. pay a few bucks more and use the timeserts or equivilent you'll be happy you did.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
11 Dec 2010 15:52 #416398 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Quick release spark plug...
Also, buy a torque wrench. :blush:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Dec 2010 17:45 #416618 by MAYHEM
Replied by MAYHEM on topic Quick release spark plug...
Thanks for the help guys...btw...I do have a torque wrench and I just bought the bike for $250, so I expected some problems.

I've used helicoils before, just didn't know you could use them for spark plugs (or any other high compression application).

A buddy of mine has a head off of a KZ650, I was thinking of using that...but I'll give the timeserts a try.

Thanks a bunch!

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
12 Dec 2010 17:57 #416621 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Quick release spark plug...
Ive had a helicoil in #1 plug hole for a long time.No issues with it.If u follow the instructions they work fine.Only issue I have heard about is if u screw them in too far so that one of the coil tips protrudes into the combustion chamber,it can get hot and act like a glow plug on a diesel and cause predetonation.bj

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
12 Dec 2010 18:01 #416622 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Quick release spark plug...
i've had heli coils in a few engines with no problem...they were there when i got the bikes,,,lasted the time i had the bike....one engine the coil came out with the plug and went back in with the new plug :blush:

but theyt never messed up and are around 20 for the kit as oppossed to 75-100 for timserts...

But...Tim (timebomb)is a true mechanic so i said nothing...i do think they are good enough for a stock comp motor....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
12 Dec 2010 20:26 #416652 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Quick release spark plug...
timebomb33 wrote:

if you are going to do it don't be tempted to use helicoils like they say in that write up they will come out and also they don't deal well with high cylinder head temps and high compression pressures. pay a few bucks more and use the timeserts or equivilent you'll be happy you did.

I'm being completely sincere when I ask this question. Not ballbusting and not knocking timeserts. Do you have any personal experience with a heli-coil actually coming out? I have been fortunate in that I have never had to use one for a spark plug, so I claim no experience. I don't understand why a helicoil would not deal with heat. Standard helicoils are steel, and the aluminum heads are good enough to deal with combustion temps. I do realize that galvanic corrosion can occur between the steel and aluminum. Is this the issue? Would the timeserts not have the same issue?

Do the plugs not seal against the top surface of the head? I have heard the recommendation to use timeserts before, but no real explanation of what makes the helicoils unusable.

I have personally machined many aluminum parts for NASA that require the installation of helicoils per MILSPEC. Granted, these parts were not part of an internal combustion engine, but you can believe me that NASA flight parts are very closely examined. They would not specify helicoils by accident. By the same token, you can also believe that if I had substituted a timesert in place of a helicoil, that the part would be rejected due to the fact that the threaded insert did not carry the proper certification. One thing that the military does specify the use of Super Koropon primer for all threaded insert installation. I believe that this primer mitigates any chance of galvanic corrosion.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I honestly am ignorant of the problems associated with the use of helicoils to repair stripped spark plug threads. I am hoping that you have had some personal experience with the failings of a helicoil in this application. I'm sure that the timesert is actually a stronger option to a helicoil and if a helicoil would work, then a timesert certainly would as well.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
12 Dec 2010 20:39 #416657 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Quick release spark plug...
testarossa wrote:

timebomb33 wrote:

I'm being completely sincere when I ask this question. Not ballbusting and not knocking timeserts. Do you have any personal experience with a heli-coil actually coming out? I have been fortunate in that I have never had to use one for a spark plug, so I claim no experience. I don't understand why a helicoil would not deal with heat. Standard helicoils are steel, and the aluminum heads are good enough to deal with combustion temps. I do realize that galvanic corrosion can occur between the steel and aluminum. Is this the issue? Would the timeserts not have the same issue?

Do the plugs not seal against the top surface of the head? I have heard the recommendation to use timeserts before, but no real explanation of what makes the helicoils unusable.

I have personally machined many aluminum parts for NASA that require the installation of helicoils per MILSPEC. Granted, these parts were not part of an internal combustion engine, but you can believe me that NASA flight parts are very closely examined. They would not specify helicoils by accident. By the same token, you can also believe that if I had substituted a timesert in place of a helicoil, that the part would be rejected due to the fact that the threaded insert did not carry the proper certification. One thing that the military does specify the use of Super Koropon primer for all threaded insert installation. I believe that this primer mitigates any chance of galvanic corrosion.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I honestly am ignorant of the problems associated with the use of helicoils to repair stripped spark plug threads. I am hoping that you have had some personal experience with the failings of a helicoil in this application. I'm sure that the timesert is actually a stronger option to a helicoil and if a helicoil would work, then a timesert certainly would as well.

I have used both over the years. Heli-coils will come out, good for a quick fix however. As Tim said the timeserts, are a longer term fix. One is colied threads and the other is a sleeve. Yes a timesert kit costs more, it is about the same price as having the shop, fix one cylinder. There is a reason, one costs more then the other..........Both will work for ya!

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
12 Dec 2010 20:56 #416663 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Quick release spark plug...
So you have actually had a helicoil back out on it's own on an engine that you have worked on?

Certain applications for NASA do require an insert similar to a timesert. I have actually used these. Threaded, key locked, inserts: www.carrlane.com/Catalog/index.cfm/27825...070F1A3C3B285356445C

I'm specifically interested in someone who has had actual evidence of a helicoil unscrewing itself. Not anecdotal evidence.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
12 Dec 2010 22:05 - 12 Dec 2010 22:06 #416675 by cyclhed
Replied by cyclhed on topic Quick release spark plug...
There are a couple of issues you might want to consider: you will need to drill and tap the hole to use the helicoil or the timesert, so you will get chips in the cylinder you will need to get out. Also the helicoils have a portion of the coil that you normally break off after you thread the coil into the hole, so you will need to get it out so it doesn't drop into the cylinder. I agree that the timesert is the best way to go for your head and I have had the helicoils come out; I usually loctite them in. Green loctite would work. Really the head should come off for the repair.

Past:
1972 175 F7
1974 KZ400
1981 GPZ550
1980 KZ750 LTD
1978 KZ1000
1968 H1500 Mach III
Present:
1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
Last edit: 12 Dec 2010 22:06 by cyclhed.