Which 4 into 1 header is best

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
10 Dec 2010 03:08 #416193 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
If you can find a denco for a good price I would suggest you grab it. You will not be disapointed.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2010 17:40 #416299 by stardon
Replied by stardon on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
Hey guys! While we are on the subject. I picked up a used Bassani for my GPZ 550, I have to replace the baffeling and recoat it though. The origional system is rusting out so I am wondering if I should invest in repairing the Bassani or get something else. Has anyone had experience with the Bassani systems? Is a good system and can I use my center stand with it? I can live without the center stand but it is nice when changing oil or lubing the chain. I don't want anything too loud but a little bark is fine.

More
12 Dec 2010 05:28 #416491 by bls5050
Replied by bls5050 on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
Can any of you Mac owners confirm whether or not they clear the oil filter cover, drain plug and center stand?

1980 KZ1000st

More
12 Dec 2010 06:07 #416492 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
Luv the 70's Yosh look & sound... but for me, no other then the Kerk....

Need I say more... Looks, SweetassSound & Performance... B)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
12 Dec 2010 09:37 - 12 Dec 2010 09:47 #416537 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
bls5050 wrote:

Can any of you Mac owners confirm whether or not they clear the oil filter cover, drain plug and center stand?

Yes the MAC pipes clear the Oil filter and are designed to be used with the Center stand on the bike. Your choices today are quite limited in pipes, but MAC still gives you a few choices for each bike. They have a 4-2 if you have a cruiser, they have a "megaphone" if you like a lot of noise like a Kerker or V&H would provide, they have one of those two. But my favorite is the Canister muffler stile. It gives you a crisp raspy sound that will not bust your ear drums on the highway on longer trips. The black finish pipes do not last because of the low quality of the paint but the chrome pipes are not bad in finish quality. From this point on I will have all of my header pipes Ceramic coated so I will start with the black pipes and have them re-done in silver Ceramic. The Kerker "K" series is also one of my favorites but it was $800 when it was last available about 5 or 6 years ago. This is all because Yoshimura is no longer available and has not been for decades. I got sick and tired of the noise of the standard megaphone Kerker. I have two of them which i threw on the junk pile. I might use the header and make a new tail pipe for them. I HATE the Kerker Megaphone. My brother who has a V&H on his 750 is also extremely noisy for my taste. You can pack them with glass to make them a bit quieter but that only lasts for a few thousand miles. With available pipes today, MAC canister all the way.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 12 Dec 2010 09:47 by otakar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeffwerner

More
12 Dec 2010 10:33 #416549 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
@ Otto....
The Kerker stock baffle is quiet as any other Non-Comp baffle... not sure what you have or what size your brother-in-law has in baffles....

Since you're junking them, if 1"-1.5" openings, what you want for them?

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
12 Dec 2010 14:39 #416584 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
otakar wrote:

bls5050 wrote:

Yes the MAC pipes clear the Oil filter and are designed to be used with the Center stand on the bike. Your choices today are quite limited in pipes, but MAC still gives you a few choices for each bike. They have a 4-2 if you have a cruiser, they have a "megaphone" if you like a lot of noise like a Kerker or V&H would provide, they have one of those two. But my favorite is the Canister muffler stile. It gives you a crisp raspy sound that will not bust your ear drums on the highway on longer trips. The black finish pipes do not last because of the low quality of the paint but the chrome pipes are not bad in finish quality. From this point on I will have all of my header pipes Ceramic coated so I will start with the black pipes and have them re-done in silver Ceramic. The Kerker "K" series is also one of my favorites but it was $800 when it was last available about 5 or 6 years ago. This is all because Yoshimura is no longer available and has not been for decades. I got sick and tired of the noise of the standard megaphone Kerker. I have two of them which i threw on the junk pile. I might use the header and make a new tail pipe for them. I HATE the Kerker Megaphone. My brother who has a V&H on his 750 is also extremely noisy for my taste. You can pack them with glass to make them a bit quieter but that only lasts for a few thousand miles. With available pipes today, MAC canister all the way.

I found the V&H with the street baffel & no packing is just about perfect. Just the right noise level and the bottom end is excellent.

But hey....everybody likes different things. Can you imagine an ELR with a factory MAC pipe :woohoo:

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
12 Dec 2010 15:00 #416589 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
larrycavan wrote
I found the V&H with the street baffel & no packing is just about perfect. Just the right noise level and the bottom end is excellent.[/quote]

I have the same set up on my bike and agree 100% just the right sound. Now if you take that baffle out and ride it about 3 miles doing 70mph you will consider jumping the fawk off to get away from the loud s.o.b.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
12 Dec 2010 15:13 #416590 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
I got a MAC 4 into 1 pipes, wiyh a shortened canister w/o baffle I'll sell u for 75 + shipping

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
12 Dec 2010 15:16 #416591 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
andy9802gt wrote:

larrycavan wrote
I found the V&H with the street baffel & no packing is just about perfect. Just the right noise level and the bottom end is excellent.

I have the same set up on my bike and agree 100% just the right sound. Now if you take that baffle out and ride it about 3 miles doing 70mph you will consider jumping the fawk off to get away from the loud s.o.b.[/quote]

REALLY ???? HELL YEA , baffles what are baffles ?????

• texasfisherdude
  • User
  • 2 old 2 fat dont care
More
12 Dec 2010 15:35 #416593 by texasfisherdude
Replied by texasfisherdude on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
REALLY ???? HELL YEA , baffles what are baffles ?????[/quote]

Thats what us old farts use to preserve what hearing we got left :P

Life's to short to drink cheap beer
1980 LTD 1000

More
12 Dec 2010 15:47 #416595 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Which 4 into 1 header is best
I Never liked the sound and stiling of either the Kerker megaphone or the V&H pipes. Or for that matter in the old days the RC pipe either. I like the straight line look and small as possible look. I find the Megaphone pipes to look gaudy. About as bad as these oversized pipes on the bikes today.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000