Cracked block near chain tensioner - KZ750 L3

More
24 Nov 2010 20:34 - 24 Nov 2010 20:38 #414124 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic Cracked block near chain tensioner - KZ750 L3
I bought a new engine recently for parts, so at least I can replace the block if I have to. I wish I didn't have to get a new set of gaskets and do the whole razor-cleaning of the surfaces all over again. That was a real pain.

While I'm in there I'll re-check those bolts per your recommendation.

The guy I bought the engine off of said that not fully removing the cam chain tensioner before reinstalling it could strip those threads, so I'll be more careful next time.

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike
Last edit: 24 Nov 2010 20:38 by staniel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2010 05:49 #414162 by Patton
Before tightening a bolt into a dead-end threaded hole, it's usually a good idea to first assure the hole is clean and free of any sediment, oil, etc., even when the bolt is correct length (i.e., not too long).

Would think any good volatile spray cleaner, such as brake cleaner or carb cleaner, would be okay for this purpose.

For example, failure to clear receiving cam bolt holes may exacerbate tendency to strip their threads when torquing the bolts.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
25 Nov 2010 12:50 #414192 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Cracked block near chain tensioner - KZ750 L3
Dont think its liquids,

just had a look at my cyl 750 block and the holes for the bolts form the head and from the chain tensioner do meet!

Really odd, looks like kawi engineers run out of space there as having the two holes connected like that certainly weakens the casting at that point, not a good engineering practice in my book, is it like that in the 1000's too?

it would be really important to have both bolts the right length, longer ones will simply touch each other and it would be easy to create a crack like yours even by just torquing them to spec, its like driving a wedge!

Check the bolts you took out of there, wouldnt be surprised if the threads are marked from rubbing steel against steel.

Good to know....

More
25 Nov 2010 13:07 #414195 by staniel
Very useful info. I suspected as much, given where all those bolts go. I think I know what did it, then:

The OEM bolts are threaded at the bottom and tapered in along the middle. I'll guess that's to take up the last few millimeters of tensioner bolt, and since I used a regular fully-threaded bolt for the head, the top tensioner bolt pressed right up on those threads. Good thing stainless is hard, or I'd have to guess I'd smashed the threads on the head bolt.

Fortunately I saved the original bolt that didn't shatter on me, so I'll use that for the rebuild when good weather comes.

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

More
25 Nov 2010 15:02 #414210 by TerryK
staniel wrote:

I wish I didn't have to get a new set of gaskets and do the whole razor-cleaning of the surfaces all over again. That was a real pain.

Buy a good quality liquid gasket remover and let it work on the gaskets before you try to scrape them off. It will be TONS easier!

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
26 Nov 2010 11:21 #414293 by turboguzzi
staniel wrote:

Fortunately I saved the original bolt that didn't shatter on me, so I'll use that for the rebuild when good weather comes.

rebuilds are done in bad weather, good weather is for riding ;)

More
26 Nov 2010 21:01 #414359 by staniel
turboguzzi wrote:

This is true for those fortunate enough to have a garage. I live in Seattle with no workspace. Please don't make fun.. the situation is sad enough :(

TerryK, I used liquid gasket remover the last time I did it and it was still an epic PITA. Maybe it'll be easier since the gaskets are 5 months old instead of 27 years. I guess it's a fair assumption that I'll need all new gaskets for this project? Can't reuse a head gasket if I used Permatex?

I'll surely post updates when I do all the work again.

Thank you all for the help. If any of you lives in Seattle and has a place to work, please let me know!

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

More
29 Nov 2010 11:13 #414659 by turboguzzi
gee man, you dont put no permatex in a head gasket

who told you to do so?

More
29 Nov 2010 12:04 #414662 by staniel
Dangit. My Clymer manual said to put some around the two dowel bolts! I used the black stuff, though, so maybe it'll peel off with a wet rag...

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

More
29 Nov 2010 15:14 - 29 Nov 2010 15:19 #414674 by TerryK
staniel wrote:

turboguzzi wrote:

This is true for those fortunate enough to have a garage. I live in Seattle with no workspace. Please don't make fun.. the situation is sad enough :(

TerryK, I used liquid gasket remover the last time I did it and it was still an epic PITA. Maybe it'll be easier since the gaskets are 5 months old instead of 27 years. I guess it's a fair assumption that I'll need all new gaskets for this project? Can't reuse a head gasket if I used Permatex?

I'll surely post updates when I do all the work again.

Thank you all for the help. If any of you lives in Seattle and has a place to work, please let me know!

If you peel most of the gaskets off before you put on the gasket remover it shouldn't be much of a problem...however I don't think it will touch permatex. A little sealer around the dowels is fine, as long as its a LITTLE bit and not a blob. If you have sealer on it all I can say is: happy scraping!!

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada
Last edit: 29 Nov 2010 15:19 by TerryK.

More
30 Nov 2010 10:49 #414812 by turboguzzi
staniel wrote:

Dangit. My Clymer manual said to put some around the two dowel bolts! I used the black stuff, though, so maybe it'll peel off with a wet rag...

as long you didnt smear ALL OVER the gasket then your ok