1983 kz1100 spectre help

More
15 Nov 2010 01:01 #412838 by kildragon6
1983 kz1100 spectre help was created by kildragon6
Ok, so i just finished rebuilding the bike. Put in new rings and the valve reworked at a local shop. i had a hard time starting the bike for the first time after the rebuild, the only way i could get it to fire was starting fluid, it only took one shot and started right up tho. My problem is that it burns oil now, It leaves a cloud when i give it any throttle. the bike only has 14000 miles on it. i rebuilt it because i only had about 95 to 100 psi of compression in all the clyinders, i was told that a freah motor should have 180?? is this correct? Thanks for any help guys, im bummed i spent 3 months buying parts and doing the work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2010 07:11 #412857 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 1983 kz1100 spectre help
FSM says 150 - 180 psi. A leak down test can pinpoint the problem area if it is rings, head gasket or valves. Do you know what brand of valve seals were used? Some aftermarket seals leak from new. How many miles since the rebuild? If only a handful, then maybe the rings are not fully seated yet. What sort of break in procedure was used? Have you had a look at the plugs to see if it is all or only some or one of the cylinders? What gasket sealer was used on the head gasket? Were you VERY careful around the oil passages?
I apologize for the random order of this post, I've only had 2 cups of coffee this morning.....

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
15 Nov 2010 07:32 #412861 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1983 kz1100 spectre help
kildragon6 wrote:

...just finished rebuilding the bike...new rings and the valve reworked...problem is that it burns oil now, It leaves a cloud when i give it any throttle. the bike only has 14000 miles on it. i rebuilt it because i only had about 95 to 100 psi of compression in all the clyinders....

:unsure: What is current compression psi?

:unsure: Were carbs being held wide open (or absent from engine) during the compression tests?

:unsure: Has it yet been determined whether one or more cylinders is burning the most oil? Might show on spark plugs or indicated by looking into combustion chambers through the spark plug holes.

One conceivable reason for oil consumption following a rebuild is that one or more of the new oil rings was damaged or improperly installed during reassembly, which is difficult to diagnose with either compression or leak down testing.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 Nov 2010 15:07 #412911 by kildragon6
Replied by kildragon6 on topic 1983 kz1100 spectre help
ok, so ive only ran it for about 15 miles, and as for the break in, i was told to take it easy for awhile no full throttle, and don't keep it a steady rpm. Versia( SPELLED WRONG!) gaskets were used from a kit from z1enterprise. i didn't know to use any sealer for the head gasket. im pretty sure its coming from one of the clylinder on the left side of the bike as there is more smoke coming from that exhaust. i havn't checked or changed the plugs yet

More
15 Nov 2010 15:42 #412917 by KZ1100 Bully
Replied by KZ1100 Bully on topic 1983 kz1100 spectre help
Hi, I did the same work last year that you just did to your bike. Mine was smoking like crazy. I took it apart again and replaced the rubber gasket that goes around the cam chain. It was pinched and not seated properly.

click on the link and go to #16. cylinder/ piston

I had to replace part #11009A

www.kawasakiepc.com/SystemSearch_Frames....734&CFTOKEN=39592947

Don't know if that is what you need but that is what happen to me.

1983 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre D2

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2010 16:53 #412920 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic 1983 kz1100 spectre help
If it's blowing oil droplets out of the pipes, it's likely one or more oil control wave ring overlapped.

Spark plugs will tell a story....

Some J heads had bad valve guide fit. That can cause smoking but it's not generally heavy smoking.

Possible cam chain tunnel o-ring pinched as well.

Either way, the head has to come off so you'll spot the O-ring problem if it is that. If not, pull the block and inspect the rings.

Talk to the shop that did the head & find out exactly what they did.

More
15 Nov 2010 17:53 #412930 by kildragon6
ok so im a little confused, i understand it possibly being rings, as there were pain to get in in the first place, but how can the cam chain oil seal affect in burning the oil out the exhaust, correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't that just burn up at the motor? im a little confused as to how it would wind up in the clinders from there. I hope its that easy tho!!

More
15 Nov 2010 17:54 #412931 by kildragon6
also, as for the rings seating, should i run it or not. would it hurt it any if it was the rings or is the damage done? thanks again

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
15 Nov 2010 19:38 #412952 by larrycavan
Cam chain O-ring could potentially leak oil into the cylinder but it's got to get past the head gasket as well. As such, I feel that's a slim possibility. But since one member mentioned he had it happen, then it's possible.

If an oil control wave ring is overlapped, it's screwed. The end breaks off.

More
15 Nov 2010 21:57 #412960 by kildragon6
that was my thought to i couldn't understand it getting past the head gasket, i guess im going to ride it a few miles this weekend to see if it gets any better, if not i guess its back to the garage. i think this bike hates me, or it likes my heated garage, it spends more time being worked on it seems than being ridin. i guess it my partly my fault if its the rings, and i think it is. this is my first rebuild of a 4 stroke engine, i already bent 3 valves while adujusting them on the bench... i guess you learn from your mistakes Thanks for all the help guys. Do you guys have any tricks to getting the rings on easier, it took me about 3 hours. an hour the first time only to realize the jug was on backwards(cam chain tenisor faceing front) then 2 hrs to get it on the right way, the oil rings did not want to go on.. Thanks again

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
16 Nov 2010 04:11 #412977 by larrycavan
kildragon6 wrote:

that was my thought to i couldn't understand it getting past the head gasket, i guess im going to ride it a few miles this weekend to see if it gets any better, if not i guess its back to the garage. i think this bike hates me, or it likes my heated garage, it spends more time being worked on it seems than being ridin. i guess it my partly my fault if its the rings, and i think it is. this is my first rebuild of a 4 stroke engine, i already bent 3 valves while adujusting them on the bench... i guess you learn from your mistakes Thanks for all the help guys. Do you guys have any tricks to getting the rings on easier, it took me about 3 hours. an hour the first time only to realize the jug was on backwards(cam chain tenisor faceing front) then 2 hrs to get it on the right way, the oil rings did not want to go on.. Thanks again

Chalk the up as lessons learned :) You're not the first to do any of those things.

You might want to put some more chamfer on the base of the sleeves with a 60grit sanding roll. Re-prep the block after.

More
16 Nov 2010 05:43 #412990 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1983 kz1100 spectre help
May be of interest ---

Click here > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=21&id=360628

Good Fortune!:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD