Clearancing Head for Cams - Photo?

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2010 12:37 #410960 by DoubleDub
Clearancing Head for Cams - Photo? was created by DoubleDub
Does anyone have a photo that shows what the areas need to be clearanced for higher lift cams?

I'm considering getting a set this winter for my Kz and was just curious. I'll likely end up with a drop-in set, but I'm curious where and how much material typically needs to get removed and since I don't have a set of non-drop-in cams I'm having a tough time visualizing what needs to be done (although I think I have an idea?).

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
05 Nov 2010 13:04 #410965 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Clearancing Head for Cams - Photo?
DoubleDub wrote:

Does anyone have a photo that shows what the areas need to be clearanced for higher lift cams?

I'm considering getting a set this winter for my Kz and was just curious. I'll likely end up with a drop-in set, but I'm curious where and how much material typically needs to get removed and since I don't have a set of non-drop-in cams I'm having a tough time visualizing what needs to be done (although I think I have an idea?).

Thanks in advance!

X2 Plummen said he was going to do just this thing, but I somehow missed the post.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
05 Nov 2010 13:05 #410967 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic Clearancing Head for Cams - Photo?
Which KZ?

For my 650 the cover is high so unless your running over .400" then it does not have to be ground... I think the 900 might have some "X"'s cast in the cover to deal with.

As for the head, the area is the cam lobe pathway from the insides of where the bucket rides up and down to the gasket surface on both sides of the bucket hole... usually have to take roughly 1/8" out of there - it depends how big the cams are... you can't take so much as to ruin the gasket surface.

Don't have a photo to show you... think I explained it good enough.

More
05 Nov 2010 14:58 - 05 Nov 2010 15:03 #410993 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clearancing Head for Cams - Photo?
Inside surface of stock valve cover (see image) may need relieving (by grinding down the X marks) to prevent contact by cam lobe.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2010 15:03 by Patton.

• DoubleDub
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Nov 2010 15:25 #411004 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Clearancing Head for Cams - Photo?
Injected wrote:

Which KZ?

For my 650 the cover is high so unless your running over .400" then it does not have to be ground... I think the 900 might have some "X"'s cast in the cover to deal with.

As for the head, the area is the cam lobe pathway from the insides of where the bucket rides up and down to the gasket surface on both sides of the bucket hole... usually have to take roughly 1/8" out of there - it depends how big the cams are... you can't take so much as to ruin the gasket surface.

Thanks, that helps, but I'd love to see a clearanced head to compare to my stock head.

I think the 900/1000 heads were similar with a lift over .400 requiring clearancing, although I remember Larry preaching that you should never assume and always double check with aftermarket cams .... :silly:

Patton - you wouldn't happen to have a picture of a clearanced head near the buckets would you?

More
05 Nov 2010 15:53 #411010 by Patton
DoubleDub wrote:

Injected wrote:

...KZ...900 might have some "X"'s cast in the cover to deal with.

Thanks, that helps, but I'd love to see a clearanced head to compare to my stock head.
...happen to have a picture of a clearanced head near the buckets....

Sorry, no pic of clearanced head near the buckets.
Am also learning from this thread.
Guessing the described relief would be from the area indicated in red on this pic (both sides of bucket tower, but one side hidden by lobe in this pic).

[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2010 16:00 #411012 by Patton
On second thought, may be referencing the area shown in blue.

Seems pretty scary to me --- cutting into an already thin gasket mating surface.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2010 16:02 #411013 by Patton
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2010 16:14 - 05 Nov 2010 16:18 #411017 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic Clearancing Head for Cams - Photo?
That second picture with the red and blue is exactly what I am talking about... my head is currently on the bike and all buttoned up for its winter nap, so no chance of a pic... but yes if you need to thin the gasket flange, it is what it is, cam can't rotate without clearance - no issues so far.

I went almost half way across the gasket flange - only as wide as the lobe, because I am running a massive cam in the 650 head.

So I guess the pics are already up...
Last edit: 05 Nov 2010 16:18 by Injected.

More
05 Nov 2010 17:37 #411035 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Clearancing Head for Cams - Photo?
Patton wrote:

Inside surface of stock valve cover (see image) may need relieving (by grinding down the X marks) to prevent contact by cam lobe.

you are correct sir on a 900/1000....i have a decent example in the garage i just referenced...i believe it to be good for .410 cams if anyone is interested.....

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
05 Nov 2010 17:47 #411040 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Clearancing Head for Cams - Photo?
:woohoo:
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2010 17:56 - 05 Nov 2010 17:58 #411045 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Clearancing Head for Cams - Photo?
kzz1p wrote:

:woohoo:

exactly.....B)......mine has better machine work though....:P
Last edit: 05 Nov 2010 17:58 by keith1.