Bike Starting Issue

More
16 Oct 2010 10:38 #407024 by Tracker
Bike Starting Issue was created by Tracker
Hey everyone!

Im a bit new to working on bikes so please try and understand.

I recently bought a 1981 KZ750 and it had a slight starting issue. The starter would turn the engine SOMETIMES and others it would sound like the starter is spinning but not turning the engine. Usually if I just play with it for a sec it would catch and start the bike right up. Once running and hot I could shut the bike off and start it again with out ever having a problem, its just that initial cold start.

I took the starter off and checked it and it seems to be spinning just fine. I put a little pressure on the gear to make sure that it would spin even if something is holding it and it still spun.

Someone told me that it may be the starter clutch but I really just wanted to double check that...

The gear the starter connects to in the engine if I spin it to the left (towards the front of the bike) it spins freely. If spun the other direction (towards the back of the bike) it can not be turned by hand.

Can anyone help me figure out what this issue is so I can get it fixed and hopefully get a couple more rides before it gets too cold.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
16 Oct 2010 13:03 - 16 Oct 2010 13:09 #407034 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic Bike Starting Issue
It sounds like the starter clutch is slipping sometimes. When it does engine does not turn, and sounds like marbles inside.

The gear movement is the way is supposed to be, as the starting clutch only cranks on one direction, and free wheels on the the other one.

Most people only change the rollers and the springs on the starting clutch, but the race on the hub also wears, and mostly is not visible.

Mine was slipping once, and I replaced the whole thing. It takes a lot of disassemble to get to it. Exhaust, Clutch, oil pan, and Secondary Shaft behind the crank, have to come out.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2010 13:09 by hugo.

More
16 Oct 2010 14:09 #407046 by Tracker
Replied by Tracker on topic Bike Starting Issue
So what is the quickest cheapest way to get the bike back on the road?

I half way wish that the thing had a kick start then I would just say forget the starter :P

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
16 Oct 2010 17:21 #407077 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Bike Starting Issue
The quickest cheapest way to get it back on the road is to do nothing, and push start it. The more expensive, and longer way to get it back on the road is to fix the starter clutch. As Hugo said it does require a fair amount of work, but since your bike does not have a kickstart it is the only way to solve the issue.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
16 Oct 2010 21:51 #407141 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Bike Starting Issue
There are several specialty tools that you will need. Some of which will be easier to aquire than others.

Re-assembly requires the proper torques for each bolt, and specific checks required to ensure proper operation.

Everything required and step by step instructions are in the SERVICE MANUAL.

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
17 Oct 2010 11:21 #407218 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic Bike Starting Issue
Hi Tracker, It could be someone put a special additive or oil in your bike. I use regular oil from Wal-mart and sometimes the full synthetic or combination of both. I haven't had any issues with the bike in over three years and 8000 miles. I would change the oil and go from there. It might be as simple as that. You may still have to change the starter clutch, but can still start it pushing it. Good luck. I change my oil every two thousand miles and the filter at four thousand. Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

More
17 Oct 2010 12:04 #407228 by Tracker
So your saying its possible an oil change will allow me to start it again?

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
More
18 Oct 2010 04:49 - 18 Oct 2010 05:03 #407372 by hugo
Replied by hugo on topic Bike Starting Issue
The oil has little to do with the Starting Clutch. Even with the slipperiest of all oils, it should catch, everytime. I lived with this problem for about a year, until I got fed up, bit the bullet, and changed it. Never looked back. But to me fixing as much as I can by myself is part of the fun of owning a old bike.

Tracker, replacing the starter clutch is involved, not because is difficult to change it, but because all the things have to be disassembled to get to it. The most involved is transmission clutch because it has many parts and a big nut torqued at a gorilla strengh of 90 ft-lb. Right here you need a impact wrench.

So even if you do it yourself takes some money, and time. You need a factory manual, study, plan for it, and get the right tools. The easiest way is taking to a motorcycle mechanics, but of course, it may be expensive because of the labor.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2010 05:03 by hugo.

More
20 Oct 2010 15:14 #407810 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic Bike Starting Issue
I have done this fix twice. The first time I just replaced the rollers and springs. That fix lasted a few thousand miles. The second time I did it right and replaced the entire assembly. The job is an all-day job, even if you have the parts sitting right there on your workbench ready to go. You will be tired when you are done. Get the entire assembly and do it right the first time.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
20 Oct 2010 16:47 - 20 Oct 2010 16:48 #407837 by Tracker
Last edit: 20 Oct 2010 16:48 by Tracker.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
20 Oct 2010 16:56 - 20 Oct 2010 16:58 #407839 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Bike Starting Issue
Tracker wrote:

Is this what I need to buy?

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-KZ400-K...&hash=item27b527334a

That's for the 750 twin. Your's is a 4cyl..correct?

Listen to what Hugo is telling you. He's right on the money :) Buy or download a service manual and read it. It's no a 5 minute job. Not overly complicated either but you need to be mechanically inclined.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2010 16:58 by larrycavan.

More
20 Oct 2010 19:37 - 20 Oct 2010 19:37 #407890 by Tracker
failed to read that... Yes mine is the 4

I did find a used starter clutch off a 81 kz750 H [What is the difference I am a novice to the kz's]

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Kawasaki-KZ...&hash=item3a5f9a3a59

It seems to be the entire setup.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2010 19:37 by Tracker.