Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 00:33 #40394

• CruisingRam
  • CruisingRam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Hey, thought you folks could help me out a bit?

I am putting the chopper motor together this week- it is a bone stock KZ1000 LTD motor. I want to eck out the most HP I can out of it, without ordering much parts! I may buy a welded crank from someone- but outside that and cams- I don't want to buy to much other stuff (gasket set of course, that kind of stuff, of course)

So, considering the build up using stock pistons and Compression ration- what cams should I use?

Anyone think I should port the heads some? If so, where does the work need to be done most, and does anyone have pics of this work?

I may even undercut the teeth, not sure of that yet, got to get the (kz) Jedi master's help first (local dude)

Also- I have two different killer exhaust systems- so exhaust is handled.

Here is a pic of the bike that it is going in:

it has:

ZX6 front forks

GSXF "Katana" rims

GS 1100 E swing arm and shocks- suzuki caliper in rear, Kawi calipers up front. Vulcan tank, will have cut down seat.

This thing will be bad azt dudes!

Post edited by: CruisingRam, at: 2006/04/18 03:36
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 00:39 #40395

• CruisingRam
  • User
Here is the front shot- frame has been raked 8* and goosenecked 5 inches. Upper fork tubes are off a Suzuki DR 250, lowers are ZX6. Gives an 8 over fork to the ZX forks. Using ZX10 triples with stem from Z1 900. Making our own triple top clamp. the gauges go on the Vulcan tank.
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.
Attachments:

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 00:41 #40396

• CruisingRam
  • User
Me having a drink right after getting the stuff over to the "Guerilla custom spiderhole".

The drink is cheap azt schnapps. I am killing the last shot out of the bottle.

The insurgency will be led from here.

Post edited by: CruisingRam, at: 2006/04/18 03:42
I hate electrical stuff.
Attachments:

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 00:45 #40397

• CruisingRam
  • User
We have drank at this point, thinking about doing heroin and crack later, but for now- working on the bike.

P.S.- note that we are back in the underground spiderole- basically, a Vinyl tent from Costco that has been there about ten years now. Actually, two tents. It has been insulated with cardboard, and then we glued and taped and screwed down plastic on the inside. The heat is from an old mobile home forced air unit. Its warm enough. Flooring is carpet scraps.

We have a computer, cable and big tv in there too.

Post edited by: CruisingRam, at: 2006/04/18 03:48
I hate electrical stuff.
Attachments:

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 04:04 #40412

• fastestz1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
if this engine is stock why spend the $$$ on a welded crank?.
even with sum hott cams/port work i dont think you need to spend time/cash for a welded crank. really nice project you have goin.

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 04:49 #40424

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
at what point should a welded crank be considered?

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 05:52 #40438

• craigpuckett
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
IMHO anytime you split the cases for any reason the crank should be checked and welded , the tranny backcut,and the maincap plate installed.

that will pretty much take care of the bottom end for future work.

just my .02 B)

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 06:33 #40445

• wireman
  • Visitor
if you are splitting the cases it wouldnt hurt to weld the crank. if its a mkII motor the maincap and cases are already pretty stout so putting that brace on the maincap is overkill unless youre putting a turbo or a big ol bottle on there i wouldnt worry too much about it .;)

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 08:48 #40473

• fastestz1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
he said he is trying to eek out the most power from this engine without ordering new parts,he also says it is stone stock,so with that said why would anyone recomend welding the crank? if the engine is running good in my opinion splitting the cases just to weld the crank is a waste of cash.he will not gain any power from this mod a stock crank is fine again in my "opinion" up to 150-175 hp, back cutting the tranny is very expensive again why on a stock engine?
i have several turbo charged bikes i have had to many engines in them to count,i have a 78 1000 kz with a completely stock engine/tran well over 200 pass's at the track i run this bike everday with 9lbs of boost, at the track i run 15lbs boost i have bumped it up to 18 lbs many times in order to beat on sum of the newer faster bikes again this bike does not have a welded crank or cut tranny,i have blown many engines none were from a crank letting go. i have a non turbo 900 that makes 125 rwhp high comp,lots of head work,WAAAAY to many street race's to count no welded crank no tranny work no problems.
im not saying welding a crank is a bad idea but for a mild street engine i do feel it is a waste of cash/hard work,back cutting a tranny that is in good shape/working fine in my opinion is a very bad idea.

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 10:42 #40504

• KevZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I don't want to hijack the thread, but what does "welding the crank" mean? Should I weld mine since I have my cases split right now?

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 11:04 #40519

• wireman
  • Visitor
900-1000 cranks are pressed together with 1 piece rods,theyre talking about welding the pins where theyre pressed together with counterweights.which is done on some higher end motors to keep crank from twisting under heavy loads high rpms. if you are tearing motor down and splitting cases for some reason its a cheap upgrade but i wouldnt tear down a good motor just for it though like fastestz1 said there are other mods that will give you better results .

Need help with engine build up! 18 Apr 2006 23:00 #40730

• CruisingRam
  • User
Food for thought!

I am splitting the case and polishing them- has to be done for the project- so that is the reason for welding the crank while there- I think that is cheap insurance!

Outside of that- let's brainstorm a bit- I am using stock pistons and compression ratio- so what is the best cams in everyone's opinion for this build?

I mean, that is the key to hp in any gas motor in the end?

We can do anything to the motor, but I don't want to go crazy building it here- and one thing it doesn't need that is usually the easy HP- pistons!

So lets try again folks!

The back cutting of the gears BTW- is because a friend is going to show me how, and he has done it more than anyone on the planet I think at this point LOL

Post edited by: CruisingRam, at: 2006/04/19 02:02
I hate electrical stuff.

• Page: