BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
30 Sep 2010 17:14 #402960 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
Oil was dry... as in NONE? :huh:

This is usually what we do when we blow a motor up each year at the track!!! :laugh: :silly:

So, I thinks ya broke it.

Ever rebuild an engine?

Do it, just DO IT.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
30 Sep 2010 17:29 #402967 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
friend of mine (sorta) did the same thing, ran a KLR 650 up the highway with almost no oil, didnt sieze the motor but it burnt a hole in the lower side of the piston,still had compression even, had to ride three hours to pick the damn thing up CHECK THE OIL people,

More
04 Oct 2010 14:28 #404046 by Hawk111
Replied by Hawk111 on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
there is no kick

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
04 Oct 2010 14:43 #404051 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
if there is no oil,there is no reason for continued agony.u have fried ur engine.period.end of discussion and end of engine.replace it or overhaul it.bj

More
04 Oct 2010 21:29 #404107 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
Did you open the drain plug? How much oil? Anything else? If it burnt up it would have lost power first. Something catching in there. Try turning it backwards too. Could look down the cylinder bore with a light and look for scores. If it's not locked from lack of oil, a bad ground can give you a chick. Try the turn signals, see if both flashers come on at the same time when you s left or right. Completely dry :ohmy: I left my cap off two days ago and I did'not see any in the sight glass leaning it over! :woohoo:

More
04 Oct 2010 21:42 #404111 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
Hawk111 wrote:

I am driving 60mph on highway, just got refurbished pulse coils so it can't be them.

----I am driving and hear: "crack, crack, crack" real loud ----

my bike shuts of and I pull over. 2 days before my rear wheel skidded a couple times on a stop and locked up a bit --- only after charging the highway at 80.

Now, my bike won't start at all. I thought my engine seized, however, a friend said that if you can turn the bolt on either the stator or ignition coils side, then the bike probably hasn't seized.

My oil was completely dry though.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT MY BIKE WON'T START and I need some advice.

It gets gas, blah blah blah.

I just can't get the engine to crank over when I push the starter button.

Refurbished pulse coils? Did it backfire or was it mechanical? Usually when an engine is locking up it drags, more throttle needed. To lock up the rear wheel twice and not lock solid? Need to see how much oil wasn't there. Before you start looking around for a bucket, maybe just grab something small and at hand like a thimble :woohoo:

More
04 Oct 2010 23:34 - 13 Feb 2012 19:28 #404120 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 19:28 by KZ250LTD.

More
05 Oct 2010 09:08 #404191 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
Pull the points cover, use a 14mm socket on the crank nut, and see if the engine turns over, plain and simple. My guess is by your first post, you siezed the cams (the cams are usually the first component to get trashed from a lack of oil. Either way, I would not waste time and money with a complete rebuild unless your bike is in mint condition, and want a life changing enlightenment from a out of the frame rebuild... I've read WAY too many "i'm gonna completely rebuild it over the winter" stories that end up with a dissasembled, rusted to crap basket case engine, once the persone realizes the true cost of a quality rebuild..Sorry for the morbid post, but i'm just speaking truth's...

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
05 Oct 2010 11:16 #404218 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
Polar_Bus wrote:

Pull the points cover, use a 14mm socket on the crank nut, and see if the engine turns over, plain and simple. My guess is by your first post, you siezed the cams (the cams are usually the first component to get trashed from a lack of oil. Either way, I would not waste time and money with a complete rebuild unless your bike is in mint condition, and want a life changing enlightenment from a out of the frame rebuild... I've read WAY too many "i'm gonna completely rebuild it over the winter" stories that end up with a dissasembled, rusted to crap basket case engine, once the persone realizes the true cost of a quality rebuild..Sorry for the morbid post, but i'm just speaking truth's...

Amen.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
05 Oct 2010 13:43 - 05 Oct 2010 13:47 #404238 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
hocbj23 wrote:

if there is no oil,there is no reason for continued agony.u have fried ur engine.period.end of discussion and end of engine.replace it or overhaul it.bj

+1
sorry for the luck.
but don't blame the bike. it gave you a couple warnings when the tire locked up. you just didn't listen.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2010 13:47 by kawsakiman.

More
05 Oct 2010 14:41 - 05 Oct 2010 14:44 #404258 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
Hawk111 wrote:

KZ550 LTD 1981....

A posted message including information about bike year and model will likely elicit better responses.

It's easy to put information in your signature so it will automatically appear in posted messages.
When done, the signature showing information will appear in all posts, past and future.
And the information may be changed as often as desired.

Here's how to do it:

Click here > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=8&id=382004#382317

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 05 Oct 2010 14:44 by Patton.

More
05 Oct 2010 14:55 - 05 Oct 2010 14:56 #404261 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic BIKE GOES DEAD ON HIGHWAY
When hand rotating the crankshaft for whatever purpose, always use the 17mm nut, and never use head of the smaller 13mm bolt screwed into end of the crankshaft.

The larger 17mm nut is designed for this purpose.

Using the smaller bolt head risks snapping the head off the bolt leaving threaded portion tightly screwed into end of crankshaft.

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Oct 2010 14:56 by Patton.