Exhaust System

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Sep 2010 11:13 #402469 by mtbspeedfreak
Exhaust System was created by mtbspeedfreak
Hi guys! Quick question for y'all:

One of my 4-into-2 exhaust mufflers fell off; now it truly sounds like a "muscle bike" for sure. B) I had been eying up a 4-into-1 exhaust system for quite some time now, what you you guys recommend? I'm riding a '76 KZ 900: the carbs are jetted, but fouls plugs more often than I'd like so I need to rejet it regardless. I have a K&N airbox filter- not the individual pod filters. No other internal engine modifications have been done.

I'd like to emphasize that ride this bike- I've tacked on 10,000 miles since June 1st, so I'm looking for a system that not only performs well and looks good, but holds up on multi-day, thousand-mile trips over the hills and through the woods. ;)

I'm thinking Kerker or Vance & Hines, but open to nearly anything.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations! I appreciate your advice.

-Mark

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
28 Sep 2010 11:42 #402473 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Exhaust System
MAC systems are ok, and inexpensive. Broad range power.

V&H are good for some mid-high end grunt, better for street and all-around riding.

The Kerker pipes tend to really scream up high in the rpms, not as much notice in the mid power.

your choice really, as I believe they will all hold up for very long, if well maintained.

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
28 Sep 2010 12:06 - 28 Sep 2010 12:10 #402482 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Exhaust System
I'd add to TeK9iNe statement that the only active manufacturer of the three brands he mentioned is MAC. Both Kerker (= Supertrapp) and V&H have dropped the Z1/Z900 pipe from their lineup. These latter pipes are still available but as excess stock at third-party vendors (check eBay).

EDIT: and just about any brand ever produced pipe-wise is available on eBay as used...patience will produce some amazing finds...i.e. Yoshimura...Bassani...Hooker, etc.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 28 Sep 2010 12:10 by Mcdroid.

More
28 Sep 2010 13:34 #402495 by KZ1979LTD
Replied by KZ1979LTD on topic Exhaust System
One of the members here has an old Yoshimura (70's?) in the classified ads on this site. I have one just like it on my KZ 1000 and I love it. It sounds good with or without the baffle and looks good too. The one he is selling looks to be in excellent shape. I can't believe no one has snatched it up yet. The only drawback is the pipes location, when mounted on the bike, hinders you from changing the oil filter without taking the pipes off. My two cents.

More
28 Sep 2010 14:05 - 28 Sep 2010 14:06 #402499 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Exhaust System
Before addressing carb jetting,
would first assure:
-- full battery voltage reaching coils;
-- properly timed fat blue spark;
-- correct valve clearances;
-- correct fuel level (clear tube method);
-- freshly serviced air filter;
-- pilot air screw adjustment (try slightly leaner setting);

With 4>1 exhaust system, existing jetting might be okay.

Considering mileage being ridden, and oil/filter maintenance schedule, would select an exhaust system that allows changing both oil and filter without requiring removal of the exhaust system.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Sep 2010 14:06 by Patton.

• Bakes
  • User
  • Z1 Enterprises Customer Service Guy
More
28 Sep 2010 14:22 #402504 by Bakes
Replied by Bakes on topic Exhaust System
Mark,
Although tough to find evidence of such - both Kerker and V&H are still producing pipes - at least for the Z1s / 900s.

Available "visual evidence" would support the NLA claim but as far as we know, there are no plans in the immediate future to end the production.

I should have a chrome system (Z1, KZ900, KZ1000) in stock by mid to late next week. :cheer: No shameless plug here - Mark and I already talked via phone. ;)

The idea of a Yosh is by all means intriguing! :woohoo:

Best of luck Mark.

Bakes <><

More
28 Sep 2010 14:54 #402512 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Exhaust System
Bakes wrote:

...The idea of a Yosh is by all means intriguing!....

Mine got less intriguing with every oil and filter change. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But beautiful, so very beautiful. :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Sep 2010 17:15 #402552 by Gman
Replied by Gman on topic Exhaust System
I vote for the Kerker with street baffle for a daily rider. They have oil filter access and you can keep the center stand. Although expensive, it's worth it if you have the funds.

1978 KZ1000
1965 Harly Electra Glide
2002 Gold Wing
1974 Z1 900 project

• kaw a bong a
  • User
  • Have a 1978 kz 650 b and a 1976 kz 900z1ltd
More
28 Sep 2010 18:45 #402573 by kaw a bong a
Replied by kaw a bong a on topic Exhaust System
I have the V-n-H on both my 650 and 900 add just installed a comp baffle in the 900 and an realy lovin the sound and power im layin down.

1978kz650b 1976kz900 first bike 1979kz 400

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2010 12:03 #402710 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Exhaust System
Hey guys, thanks for your input. I'm strongly leaning towards a Kerker- oil changes and easy chain lubes are pretty important to me. What sort of power gains does this system provide- a little mid-range twist and some high-end power? Has anyone gone insane from 12 hours in the saddle of listening to the Kerker scream? :lol: The competition baffle would be fun on weekends B)

Patton, I've tried most of those routes: new Yuasa battery, Dyna S and 3 ohm coils, NGK BR6IEXs (Iridium's), MSD 8.5mm wire, and a K&N airbox filter. I've only tinkered with the pilot air screw adjustment- I think I'll hold off on any more tuning till the Kerker's on. I'd imagine straight pipes require slightly different tuning than any system with a muffler. :)

Not to go off subject, but I've noticed that when I'm higher up in the RPMs, the headlight and indicator lights (I'd imagine the tail light as well, but I've never turned around to watch ;) ) get brighter as the RPMs increase. Is this common? It makes sense to me but I'm wondering if I may have bigger voltage regulator/electrical problems. Also, when I'm on my longer trips, the battery weakens- this past trip I wound up kicking it over the last morning- electric start works fine when she's warmed up. Granted, it's been friggin HOT 'round these parts lately so I'm not worried, but I think I've noticed that when I'm running my high beam (I usually run with my high-beam always on; Sylvania Silver Star car headlight) the battery drains faster. As opposed to not having the headlight on as well, which I do on occasion when it's really hot (+100 degrees).

Thanks!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
29 Sep 2010 13:23 #402723 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Exhaust System
Pipe alone probably wont produce much of a gain.Pipe plus rejetting plus box with a K and N or pods might give u an extra 5-7% increase.worth it? Only if u plan on keeping the bike awhile.All the above plus a good set of street cams and u should really see improvement.V and H was my choice,but I had to modify the brake pedal for clearance.bj

• kaw a bong a
  • User
  • Have a 1978 kz 650 b and a 1976 kz 900z1ltd
More
29 Sep 2010 15:10 #402739 by kaw a bong a
Replied by kaw a bong a on topic Exhaust System
You could have a weak battery,mine went bad on me,If the bike didnt start right on the first or second try I would have to kick it, and ran good warmed up,but eventually died,bought a new one and no problems ever since.The one that died was a wally world type.only 6 months old.but you might have bigger issues.

1978kz650b 1976kz900 first bike 1979kz 400