what is the valve seat angle of a KZ1100 head?

More
10 Sep 2010 11:39 #397478 by martijn
I,m running with 0.395 webcams and a Dyna S ignition (set with a strobe light to check max advance)Eve retarding with 10 degrees did not stop pinging.
Using very high octane gas almost solved the problem. Standard RON 96 is really worse.
Squish area with the stock head is aprox 0.8 to 1mm.
Is your 200 psi cold or hot engine?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
10 Sep 2010 12:30 #397490 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic what is the valve seat angle of a KZ1100 head?
Try 110 lob centers on both cams.

More
10 Sep 2010 12:38 #397492 by martijn
thats is giving more power at top?? I'll try to work it out Saturday. It would be great if that would work. pinging is always in the mid 5-7k
Thanks Larry

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
10 Sep 2010 13:26 #397498 by larrycavan
martijn wrote:

thats is giving more power at top?? I'll try to work it out Saturday. It would be great if that would work. pinging is always in the mid 5-7k
Thanks Larry

You could try a smaller air correction jet if the knock is that far up the revs.

If you have CV carbs on it, they might have a removable air correction jet. Some did, some didn't.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
10 Sep 2010 15:37 #397517 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic what is the valve seat angle of a KZ1100 head?
110 LC will give u more top , but it will also bring the comp down a smidge.
200psi hot.
how did u get down to .040" squish ?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
12 Sep 2010 22:27 #398158 by APE Jay
larrycavan wrote:

martijn wrote:

Those blade cutters are real nice for getting things done quickly but I've seen guys screw up valve jobs pretty badly with Serdi & Goodson machines.

Yes, but when you screw them up on a Serdi, they are all screwed up exactly the same, and really look cool. :laugh:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Sep 2010 06:07 #398190 by larrycavan
APE Jay wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

martijn wrote:

Those blade cutters are real nice for getting things done quickly but I've seen guys screw up valve jobs pretty badly with Serdi & Goodson machines.

Yes, but when you screw them up on a Serdi, they are all screwed up exactly the same, and really look cool. :laugh:

:laugh:

More
21 Sep 2010 15:51 #400658 by martijn
tried the 110 lobe centers.. it did not solve the pingproblem:angry: Even with bigger mains, pilot and raising the needle will not take the ping away. It starts to run badly at idle and mid-top. I guess I will do the head swap...

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Sep 2010 16:10 #400663 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic what is the valve seat angle of a KZ1100 head?
Did you post what your compression test #'s are? Also what is the Idle Ignition timing, and the total advance set at, what RPM does it hit full advance? You may want to double check that the TDC mark is accurate. Also what heat range spark plugs are you using?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2010 16:19 #400666 by larrycavan
martijn wrote:

tried the 110 lobe centers.. it did not solve the pingproblem:angry: Even with bigger mains, pilot and raising the needle will not take the ping away. It starts to run badly at idle and mid-top. I guess I will do the head swap...

When you get the old head off. Post some pictures of the deck surface & measure the deck height from the casting. Let's see if we can determine if the head has been shaved a bunch. Wouldn't hurt to clean out the chambers and cc it too.

Are you positive the intake boots are not sucking air and leaning it out?

I just hate to see you put that J head on and end up with a low compression turd. If the J head has no broken fins and you want an unshaved KZ head, we might be able to work out something if you're interested.

I'm going to be in need of another J head here soon and I have a good KZ head that I can go through completely or let go as is.

Larry C