Throttle hesitation

More
17 Sep 2010 12:37 #399351 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Throttle hesitation
Could apply dry ice to screw for a few seconds before then immediately trying to loosen it.

Would not recommend heat applied to area surrounding the screw unless the carbs are removed, and float bowl is removed and positively drained of all residual fuel, flushed with rubbing alcohol, and thoroughly dried, before applying any heat. Heat alone to the area surrounding the screw may allow the screw to be loosened. If not, use both dry ice on the screw and heat around the screw.

If replacement screws are available, could as last resort, carefully drill the screws out, using a reverse bit.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kingchiefa
  • User
  • To each thier own.
More
17 Sep 2010 13:51 #399361 by Kingchiefa
Replied by Kingchiefa on topic Throttle hesitation
jwe2 wrote:

I apologize for using the word "rebuild" what I should have said was "put back together"
The bike was non-functional and in pieces so I replaced gaskets and pieced it back together. I "rebuilt" the carbs using kits with jets, gaskets, o-rings, etc. Like I said before I'm a bit of a carb novice but they seemed clean to me. I'll have to look into those things you guys said tho about the pilot circuits and what not. Maybe they weren't as clean as I thought.

I cleaned my carbs 3 times in one weekend because of a hesitation problem, of course thinking they were clean and not being 100% positive they were ( I to am a novice with carbs.) I figured the problem was vaccum or fuel line issue. Turns out, my carbs weren't clean at all, there was a slight yellowish tint in the bottom of my bowls that i took as stain because i couldn't get it off, was actually a slime type substance created from geling fuel. Not sure how the guy ended up getting them cleaned but i'm sure someone here can tell us. Also, I don't know the name of the fuel additive, but I was told to add it if the bike is going to sit for a long period of time, like over the winter. May want to look into that also. I would reffer to one of the gurue's though.

1979 KZ1000 ltd b3 Currently in Troy, PA. Hope to some of you on the road.

More
17 Sep 2010 14:49 - 17 Sep 2010 14:51 #399372 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Throttle hesitation
SeaFoam is a popular fuel additive that reportedly works pretty well toward light duty carb cleaning while riding.

Fuel Stabilizer is a product added to gasoline in the fuel tank which delays deterioration of the fuel. Allows longer storage intervals.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 17 Sep 2010 14:51 by Patton.

More
21 Sep 2010 13:50 #400622 by jwe2
Replied by jwe2 on topic Throttle hesitation
Success! Finally got it running smoothly today. it starts and idles well (at least the few times I tried today after putting the newly cleaned carbs back in). Finally got the chance to drive it up and down the block slowly and it feels great. No more rattling noise coming from the engine since the cam chain tensioner, sprockets and chain, and timing adjustment.

Everything seems great except that it smokes to beat hell.
I'm hoping this stops after running the bike for a little while, any idea what could cause the smoking? I know oil leaking through the headgasket is possible but I don't want to think about that lol.

More
21 Sep 2010 13:52 - 21 Sep 2010 14:27 #400624 by jwe2
one other thing. It smokes only after the engine has ran for a while. Doesn't smoke much if any at all on start up. I let it idle for 5 mins without smoking, then rode it around the block and when i got back it was smoking pretty good. White smoke. doesn't seem blue or black at all.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2010 14:27 by jwe2.

More
21 Sep 2010 17:45 - 21 Sep 2010 17:45 #400689 by jwe2
ok last time I post a reply to myself haha...

Bike pretty much quit smoking after I rode it around for about thirty minutes this evening. All seems to be well except my fork oil must be low. Got a nice hard knock from the front when going over hard bumps. So glad she runs nicely though! So far I've invested about $300 total including the price of the bike, so I think it was worth it!hahah
Last edit: 21 Sep 2010 17:45 by jwe2.

More
22 Sep 2010 20:51 - 22 Sep 2010 20:57 #401074 by jwe2
Last edit: 22 Sep 2010 20:57 by jwe2.