kz750 ltd h2 1981 engine wont crank problem

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Wildlife Artist and adventurer by any means!
More
01 Sep 2010 09:26 #395381 by angel_uk
Replied by angel_uk on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 engine wont crank problem
hi motor

thank you for your message.

have ever ridden a kz750 ltd 1981 with sr650 bars fitted? i was advised by another kawasaki group to change the small apes to the sr650 ones for long distance riding. it's a lot better position for the rider! i managed to find some sr bars 1979 and they fit great!..

i don't anyone who has this bike in the uk. i would like to hear some feedback please of what the kz750 are like to ride, corner, reverse! :0)

many thanks

angel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 Sep 2010 16:41 #395477 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 engine wont crank problem
I think we are all waiting for your video with you power sliding your 750!
I don't have a 750, 1-1000, & 1-1100. Never ridden a 750 like yours, so I can't comment exactly. I would think that once you change a few things that make you comfortable on the bike, you will find it to be very nice.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
01 Sep 2010 18:08 #395485 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 engine wont crank problem
Angie:> Just be careful with what bars you go to.If they are too low or narrow,the front turn signal lights(stock bar mounted) may/will hit the tank.Trust me on this one.All your posts are making me want to post pics of mine with all the points you have been going on about.Maybe over the weekend I'll get to it.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

More
01 Sep 2010 18:27 #395489 by JR
The 750 ltd engine is pretty much the same as my 1980 E1 engine in which case it should be ok for max 120mph (195kph). I have never gone the whole way on mine. I dont have the reactions I had when younger and at my age 160kph / 100mph is a helluva speed :) At 80mph (120kph) the 750 is just warming up with lots to go before the tach hits redline.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2010 12:37 #395634 by angel_uk
hi motor

sadly my gas tank was ruined by the sprayer, he got the clear coat wrong and it's gone on like sandpaper. the two pack clear, has reacted with the powder coat and now needs flattening off.

i would like to thank you, patton and everyone else on helping me with the bike. i was hoping to hear the dinosaur roar this week.

honest section
i'm a complete novice to a complete bike building. i've had to source parts from all over the states and canada.
my dad wants to go on a long road trip on the bike. he know a lot about bikes. patton has advised me to test all the electrical parts for the ignition. my dad has pressurised me into buying a completely new ignition system. he advises that 'since the bike was built in 1980/1 technology has produced, ECUs in cars and bikes and a modern ignitions system is what he wants for modern reliability. he wants to bin the old coils etc.

the road trip is right across europe and he wants to be sure that the electrics are 'bullet proof', like my honda he said!

best wishes and thank you to all!

angel

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2010 12:42 #395635 by angel_uk
hi jr

many thanks for your reply!

there is a biker over here in the uk who said is bike is limited to 70mph? 'it wont go any faster than that, this was restricted for the usa bikes? he said?

having heard you useful comments here buddy, there must be something wrong with his bike, maybe someone has been messing around with different sprocket sizing, altering road speeds?

i've never heard of this before, have you?

thanks again

ride safe

angel

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
02 Sep 2010 12:46 #395638 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic kz750 ltd h2 1981 engine wont crank problem
The original Kawasaki electronic ignition system is Very good and reliable. I just did a 3600mi trip on my 82 KZ1000, ignition was fine never had an issue, all stock 28 year old parts. But every bike is different, and this is yours to decide what to do with as you will. The thought of testing components before replacing is always my way of thinking. So far on the KZ's I've had, any electrical problem has been wiring or switch related. I have yet to replace Ignition or charging system major components.
Good luck whatever you decide, just make a few basic checks of voltage before you hang on a new system, so you won't find out after spending the money.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2010 12:56 #395642 by angel_uk
hi buddy

many thanks for your safety warnings?

i was advised to change the bars to 1979 sr650 bars. this was advised in many bike mags from that year.

i would greatly appreciate it if you could clarify what (with your promised photos) where you've changed things on your bike. the only thing we're done is to take the small apes off as these are no good for long distance riding.
the sr650 bars are in the attached photo. my bike is nearly finished now. my dad want to change the ignition to a modern 2010 one. better sparking, more reliable and uses less voltage.

please see the attached photo of my bike.

* could you possibly take some photos of your conversion and safety tips too please.

the head races have now been changed to tapered bearings.
the handlebar turns with no restrictions as all.

many thanks for your advice!

regards

angie

ps this is the bike before the tank was powder coated.
the paint on the tank and clear never set after 4 weeks?
Attachments:

More
02 Sep 2010 14:02 #395662 by JR

there is a biker over here in the uk who said is bike is limited to 70mph? 'it wont go any faster than that, this was restricted for the usa bikes? he said?

Tell him to pull the other leg :laugh:

Same motor here in Canada as in the US. Just the US models had some extra tubes and a lower speedo but not a bit of difference in performance !!!!

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• angel_uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Sep 2010 15:38 #395686 by angel_uk
thanks everyone!

just wait for my gas tank now!.. the sprayer is on his holidays now.

my dad said this new boyer ignition is guaranteed 5 years!
part number 301 for the kz750 1981.

regards

angel