Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
15 Aug 2010 13:39 #391055 by ed spangler
Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak was created by ed spangler
I am sure this one has been discussed before.
I have a 1975 Z1-B 900, I had all the engine covers off to replace seals and gaskets because bike had sit since 1994 and not run since then.
Anyway, Checked the Stator cover for flatness, cleaned it well, cleaned the rubber grommet that fits in groove and has wires coming thru it, grommet actually seemed in good shape , not hard or brittle.( Knew this was a potential problem area and would like to think I was very carefull ) Installed new stator cover gasket, new Allen head fasteners, used Old Style Permatex ( Not the Silicone RTV ) applied it liberally around the grommet, infused it around the holes / wires.Just used wheel bearing grease on the stator cover gasket so it can be removed without damaging it...
Waited a week before putting the oil in and now have an oil leak from the grommet. :S I know this is a common problem and amusingly enough my Cousin who is helping me with this project has a '76 KZ900 sitting besides mine and it leaks from stator grommet too! Although I gotta say mine leaks worse and he has never had the cover off his!!.
So.......I am resigned to having to cut the wires and get a new Grommet soon as Z1E gets them back in stock, guess reason I am writing is this, I only want to do this one more time and I want to do it right and be done with it.
Anyone have any helpfull tips on this? Any hints on the technique? I am an electronics tech so think my soldering skills are adequate, prolly put some shrink sleeve on out of the way before I solder then slide it over solder joint , heat the shrink tubing and hope it stays sealed.
Thanks For Your Help!!
ED

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2010 14:04 #391062 by taildragger1197
Replied by taildragger1197 on topic Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak
Z1 Enterprises has the part you need but seems to be temporarily out of stock. Must be a popular part.

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=373

Union City, Tennessee
1979 KZ1000 LTD B3
1979 KZ1000(1260)LTD S/G Pro ET
1993 ZX11 D1 Ninja

• ed spangler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
More
15 Aug 2010 14:11 #391067 by ed spangler
Replied by ed spangler on topic Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak
Union City TN. huh? I am from Seymour,Tennessee!!
Yep, when I first started buying gaskets and seals to reseal the engine covers Z1 had the rubber grommet at that time and I started to buy it then..( Should have ) but thought since the one I had seemed pliable maybe it would be ok......another lesson learned! Z1 will have it back in stock soon I am sure. Thanks!!

Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

More
15 Aug 2010 14:26 #391082 by luc
Replied by luc on topic Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak
ed spangler wrote:

I am sure this one has been discussed before.
I have a 1975 Z1-B 900, I had all the engine covers off to replace seals and gaskets because bike had sit since 1994 and not run since then.
Anyway, Checked the Stator cover for flatness, cleaned it well, cleaned the rubber grommet that fits in groove and has wires coming thru it, grommet actually seemed in good shape , not hard or brittle.( Knew this was a potential problem area and would like to think I was very carefull ) Installed new stator cover gasket, new Allen head fasteners, used Old Style Permatex ( Not the Silicone RTV ) applied it liberally around the grommet, infused it around the holes / wires.Just used wheel bearing grease on the stator cover gasket so it can be removed without damaging it...
Waited a week before putting the oil in and now have an oil leak from the grommet. :S I know this is a common problem and amusingly enough my Cousin who is helping me with this project has a '76 KZ900 sitting besides mine and it leaks from stator grommet too! Although I gotta say mine leaks worse and he has never had the cover off his!!.
So.......I am resigned to having to cut the wires and get a new Grommet soon as Z1E gets them back in stock, guess reason I am writing is this, I only want to do this one more time and I want to do it right and be done with it.
Anyone have any helpfull tips on this? Any hints on the technique? I am an electronics tech so think my soldering skills are adequate, prolly put some shrink sleeve on out of the way before I solder then slide it over solder joint , heat the shrink tubing and hope it stays sealed.
Thanks For Your Help!!
ED

if your stator is the original/factory one, you don't need to cut any wires.
In the factory stator, the wires going through the grommet have a "normal" insulation but if you look on the plug side, they are cloth covered.
Meaning that the "normal" insulated wires are already soldered ( about 3" from the grommet) to the cloth covered wires.
Just pull back the harness sleeve until you find the soldering point ( covered with heat shrink tubing), and Unsolder them, slide the grommet over them and resolder.
I just replaced my stator on my 75 Z1B with a brand new aftermarket one and, even if it seemeed to be of a good quality ( right connectors, etc) they used cloth coverd wires all the way through the stator and that was a big mistake since the oil can seep through the cloth covering when the wires go through the grommet.
I had to unsolder and cut the wires from the stator, replace them with about 5" of 14 gauge wires and solder them to the cloth covered wires.

More
15 Aug 2010 19:41 - 15 Aug 2010 19:47 #391132 by taildragger1197
luc wrote:

they used cloth coverd wires all the way through the stator and that was a big mistake since the oil can seep through the cloth covering when the wires go through the grommet.

So this problem is caused by the "wicking" effect of the cloth covered wires ?

Union City, Tennessee
1979 KZ1000 LTD B3
1993 ZX11 D1 Ninja
Last edit: 15 Aug 2010 19:47 by taildragger1197.

More
15 Aug 2010 20:05 #391146 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak
Probably is, as these engines have roller bearing cranks with 2-3 PSI oiling systems.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
15 Aug 2010 20:12 #391152 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak
MFolks wrote:

Probably is, as these engines have roller bearing cranks with 2-3 PSI oiling systems.

Yeah... its not a pressure issue, just plain seepage. :angry:

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
15 Aug 2010 21:12 #391169 by taildragger1197
No oil pressure behind that cover but there is crankcase pressure.
I have never had a problem with the gromet but have seen plenty of the old Z1/KZ's that seeped oil and the owner says they tried everything to stop it. Most resort to silicone or blue glue. It's not very pretty. :S The original gromet always looks fine so I assumed it was a shrinkage or saturation problem with the part. Glad to know someone has a replacement part available if all else fails. Good Luck to the OP.

Union City, Tennessee
1979 KZ1000 LTD B3
1993 ZX11 D1 Ninja

More
15 Aug 2010 23:34 - 15 Aug 2010 23:35 #391199 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak
If relevant, synthetic oil is reportedly more prone to leaking than dino oil.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Aug 2010 23:35 by Patton.

More
16 Aug 2010 06:03 #391229 by luc
Replied by luc on topic Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak
taildragger1197 wrote:

No oil pressure behind that cover but there is crankcase pressure.
I have never had a problem with the gromet but have seen plenty of the old Z1/KZ's that seeped oil and the owner says they tried everything to stop it. Most resort to silicone or blue glue. It's not very pretty. :S The original gromet always looks fine so I assumed it was a shrinkage or saturation problem with the part. Glad to know someone has a replacement part available if all else fails. Good Luck to the OP.

Before assuming that it is the grommet leaking, you should first check your starter O-ring.
If it leak the oil will run down following the seam where the crankase meet and end up on the stator harness.

More
22 May 2016 15:45 - 22 May 2016 15:47 #727932 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak
took the cover off and while it was a little wet in there it wasn't obvious to me where the leak was originating. So I cleaned it all up with brake cleaner and I'll ride it a little and see if that helps locate the leak. Clutch actuator seal is dry and so is the shift shaft seal. Doesn't really look like the alternator cover gasket either. So I'm down to starter O-Ring, but was not wet up that high, and Stator wire grommet. I've got some pretty good High Temp Black RTV that I used on the stator wires on my HD.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm pretty confident I can get it from here.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar
Last edit: 22 May 2016 15:47 by jdvorchak.

More
23 May 2016 04:18 #727988 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Stator Cover Grommet / Oil leak

jdvorchak wrote: took the cover off and while it was a little wet in there it wasn't obvious to me where the leak was originating. So I cleaned it all up with brake cleaner and I'll ride it a little and see if that helps locate the leak. Clutch actuator seal is dry and so is the shift shaft seal. Doesn't really look like the alternator cover gasket either. So I'm down to starter O-Ring, but was not wet up that high, and Stator wire grommet. I've got some pretty good High Temp Black RTV that I used on the stator wires on my HD.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm pretty confident I can get it from here.

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/602437-19...ynamo-cover-oil-leak

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdvorchak