its a new one on me??

• jswag5
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • whats the big deal about harley, i prefer 4 cyls!!
More
23 Jun 2010 09:55 #377740 by jswag5
its a new one on me?? was created by jswag5
i was on my way to work today, pulled in the clutch at a light. was goin fine, light turns green, went to go, and the engine just revved, and the bike barely moved, and cclutch lever would not return.

so i call up the brigade, and get the bike home, pulled the gear cover housing and heard a loud snap, looked inside, saw nothing unusual.

cleaned everything up and reassembled, looked at my clutch lever and it had snapped back. the bike runs and rides fine now, what exactly happened?

its an 82 kz1000p, did the bike just have a hiccup or am i in for possibly more repairs down the road?

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
78 honda cx500 standard cafe
RECENT 81 honda goldwing(barn fresh with 15000 on the clock)
if you cant fix it with a hammer and duct tape, get a bigger hammer and more duct tape!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2010 11:10 #377750 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic its a new one on me??
I'd pull the engine sprocket cover and look at the clutch rod and throw out mechanism. The rod gets chain lube build up and needs periodic cleaning.

The throw out mechanism also should be cleaned and re-lubed with some good grease.Hows the clutch cable look? any signs of fraying? The cable should be lubed too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
23 Jun 2010 20:23 #377874 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic its a new one on me??
It's also possible that the cable ferrile could have slipped out of the hole in the side cover where it goes into the front of the cover. If the cable isn't in all the way it would be like having the cable adjusted way to tight and wouldn't let the clutch engage. Then when you removed the side cover the snapping sound was the ferrile going into the hole under spring tension.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
23 Jun 2010 21:17 #377879 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic its a new one on me??
Nod what "The Milkman" said...

Also might check cable at the course adjustment in the middle of it. I've had those cables get really sticky there before.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
24 Jun 2010 05:41 - 20 Feb 2013 20:22 #377896 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 20:22 by H1Vindicator.

More
24 Jun 2010 09:17 #377932 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic its a new one on me??
Handy cable luber tool.
Available at Z1E and many bike shops.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• jswag5
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • whats the big deal about harley, i prefer 4 cyls!!
More
13 Aug 2010 21:49 #390779 by jswag5
Replied by jswag5 on topic its a new one on me??
have not had time to ride much the last month or so, due to the new addition to the stable, but have had to redo this again.

i did figure out that the adjuster lock nut, had come loose, and let the release mechanism basicaly fall apart. i keep checking this and it keeps coming loose, im thinking about loctiting it with some blue loctite and trying to find a replacment adjuster mechanism. it apears to me that the threads are not stripped, but have been worn from riding with it vibrating loose. the threads seem very sloppy.

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
78 honda cx500 standard cafe
RECENT 81 honda goldwing(barn fresh with 15000 on the clock)
if you cant fix it with a hammer and duct tape, get a bigger hammer and more duct tape!!