• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Jun 2010 18:32 #377396 by Motor Head
TRANSMISSION BEARINGS was created by Motor Head
82 KZ1000K2 LTD.
How many bearings in the transmission are sealed with factory grease and not lubed bu engine/ trans oil??
If there are then where which ones??
I think from looking on the web for bearings that the counter shaft behind the sprocket is possibly a sealed bearing from factory. Right???

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
21 Jun 2010 18:54 #377408 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic TRANSMISSION BEARINGS
Motor Head wrote:

82 KZ1000K2 LTD.
How many bearings in the transmission are sealed with factory grease and not lubed bu engine/ trans oil??
If there are then where which ones??
I think from looking on the web for bearings that the counter shaft behind the sprocket is possibly a sealed bearing from factory. Right???

All bearings are internally oiled. There are oil passages in the case. There's a seal for the countershaft that's in the trans cover and an O ring that goes behind the collar.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Jun 2010 19:00 #377410 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic TRANSMISSION BEARINGS
Thanks, that is what I thought looking at the parts diagram and the external covers on the bike. Just wondering where this noise is from, sounds Just like a Dry bearing, and is louder in 4-5th gears. Pull in the clutch and coast and it still is there, although less. Many of these bearings prone to failure, when pan only showed some ones additive pull ring and some clutch material? Both of the wheels turn nice and free with no noises, chain has been adjusted and lubed and lubed ...........

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
22 Jun 2010 14:11 #377585 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic TRANSMISSION BEARINGS
lift the back wheel off the ground(centerstand) remove the chain and sit down by the countershaft(might help to remove the countershaft cover).now turn the countershaft (sprocket)with your hand and listen.buy doing this you will be turning all four bearing in the transmission and should be able to hear any noise(crunching/grinding).if no noise turn the back wheel and listen for noise.using this method you should be able to locate the problem bearing.
bad bearings can look like this

hth,leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2010 15:16 #377595 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic TRANSMISSION BEARINGS
Those are TOAST!
Pulled and inspected, all good. Chain is worn, ordered new drive components from Z-1. Now got to wait, but I'm confident in this will fix the noise.