Please teach me about engine compression.

More
09 Jun 2010 20:13 #374764 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
the compression numbers they list with pistons is just bait on the hook,the numbers you really want to know is the cranking pressure of the assembled engine.pistons and cam timing/size both play a part . B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Jun 2010 21:35 #374776 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
Yes I agree the cranking compression is Reality, Ratios are theory, it is controlled by atmospheric pressure, as well as cam timing and valve overlap. Get the Automotive math book suggested, its very good. Don't forget that as conditions/ engine parameters change, Ignition timing and total advance are big players.
You should think about some cylinder head work, if not done already, along with exhaust and ignition advance curve/ total advance. Don't go overboard with compression, pump gas is CRAP these days, 91 yea the day it was made, not after its been in a tank, either in the ground or you garage. Additives become regular purchases or some good AV-GAS for the extra ratio building. I found at sea level I could get a 175lb cranking compression with a lot of cam, on a water cooled motor, it would be less on an air cooled, and less timing as well.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
10 Jun 2010 05:05 - 10 Jun 2010 05:47 #374818 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
Ohhh the crank goes round and round...the piston goes up and down...the air gets sucked inside...then squeezed up nice & tight..:silly:

In general, more compression = torque. A 1075 kit with 10.25:1 rated compression ratio pistons is fine for the street.

You want strong midrange?......Then keep the turbo pistons out of the equation.

Punch it to 1074 and get some drop in cams like the Web 118's. It will work fine on pump gas and you can keep your airbox. I promise you it will not disapoint you or be tempermental ;)
Last edit: 10 Jun 2010 05:47 by larrycavan.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
10 Jun 2010 19:53 #375000 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
I'm running exactly this (minus the WebCams) with a K&N replacement filter for the airbox.

Runs great on trash gas and fun. I can't wait to be able to afford a pair of the WebCams, though...

More
11 Jun 2010 11:42 #375104 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
Plummen, Larry Cav and Motor Head are right (at least insofar as I know anything about this)that cylinder pressure is really the issue here. As noted, a cam with lots of overlap will actually reduce cylinder pressure without touching pistons or anything else. That's PART of why we see modern street legal sport bikes with 13:1 or more able to run on pump gas, while older engine designs or engines with less overlap would ping like crazy. This is also why turbo and super charged engines use lower compression pistons. The forced induction creates higher pressures, and pistons with lower domes, or none at all, allow for a larger combustion chamber which equals a larger BANG.
Like others here, I find this all rather fascinating and surprisingly complicated.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
11 Jun 2010 15:34 #375138 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
TexasKZ wrote:

Plummen, Larry Cav and Motor Head are right (at least insofar as I know anything about this)that cylinder pressure is really the issue here. As noted, a cam with lots of overlap will actually reduce cylinder pressure without touching pistons or anything else. That's PART of why we see modern street legal sport bikes with 13:1 or more able to run on pump gas, while older engine designs or engines with less overlap would ping like crazy. This is also why turbo and super charged engines use lower compression pistons. The forced induction creates higher pressures, and pistons with lower domes, or none at all, allow for a larger combustion chamber which equals a larger BANG.
Like others here, I find this all rather fascinating and surprisingly complicated.

Thanks for the Turbo explanation. Makes sense to me. :)

West Linn, OR

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
12 Jun 2010 14:57 #375297 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
DoubleDub wrote:

I'm running exactly this (minus the WebCams) with a K&N replacement filter for the airbox.

Runs great on trash gas and fun. I can't wait to be able to afford a pair of the WebCams, though...

you are running with 10.25:1 on reg gas and no ping?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
12 Jun 2010 15:01 #375299 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
Skyman wrote:

What would be the difference between the 8.5:1 kit and the 10.25:1 kit of the same size in terms of performance?

On my CSR, I installed a Wiseco 1135/10.25:1 kit. It's a very "spirited" bike, and really fun to ride. But frankly, I find that I ride my LTD more often because it has a "smoother" personality, and is more comfortable on longer rides. And, of course, I have to use premium fuel in my CSR, while my LTD still drinks regular.

Thanks.

what head work is done to the 1135, and what cams?

the dif between 8.5 and 10.5 would only be a few hp.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2010 11:00 - 13 Jun 2010 11:01 #375457 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
Yes, 87/89 octane w/ethanol (depends on the gas station) and no pinging at all. All stock except for the K&N replacement filter and the Wiseco kit (well, and the KZ1000 jugs).
Last edit: 13 Jun 2010 11:01 by DoubleDub.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Jun 2010 15:55 #375509 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
Where this is going is actually an understanding of the difference between dynamic and static compression ratios.

Piston kits are rated in "static" values.

Camshafts and valve timing are the elements that affect "dynamic" ratio...eg. cylinder pressure.

Lot's of information on both on the web. Search a bit and you'll find it.

More
13 Jun 2010 17:59 #375543 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek more technotalk,save yourselves boys! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
13 Jun 2010 18:08 #375546 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Please teach me about engine compression.
mark1122 wrote:

Skyman wrote:

What would be the difference between the 8.5:1 kit and the 10.25:1 kit of the same size in terms of performance?

On my CSR, I installed a Wiseco 1135/10.25:1 kit. It's a very "spirited" bike, and really fun to ride. But frankly, I find that I ride my LTD more often because it has a "smoother" personality, and is more comfortable on longer rides. And, of course, I have to use premium fuel in my CSR, while my LTD still drinks regular.

Thanks.

what head work is done to the 1135, and what cams?

the dif between 8.5 and 10.5 would only be a few hp.

On my CSR, no head "work" was done, other than just lapping the stock valves. I replaced the stock cams with '84 GPz cams bought on EBay.

West Linn, OR