Curious about ticking noise

• KZ1000CSRman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Apr 2010 13:56 #363613 by KZ1000CSRman
Curious about ticking noise was created by KZ1000CSRman
The ticking that I hear from the engine, is that normal or is that something I need to look into?

'82 KZ1000 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2010 14:36 #363623 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic Curious about ticking noise
Well,that all depends.Is it a light ticking,or a heavy knocking?If it's a light noise,it's probably in need of a valve adjustment.If one hasn't been done in the last 3-5000 miles,it should have one for sure any way.If it's a loud double-knocking noise,it could be a rod getting ready to find it's way out of the cases.In either case,take it to a shop,or have a knowledgeable friend give it a listen for an opinion.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
27 Apr 2010 15:56 #363640 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Curious about ticking noise
If the tapping gets louder or quieter with heat, and its up in the top/valvetrain, then its likely in need of shim adjustment as said.

If its a fast constant rapping that stays the same no matter temps and its down low, it could be more serious.

You can use a length of hose as a stethoscope to pinpoint the location of the sound for a better diagnosis.

GL

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
27 Apr 2010 18:41 - 27 Apr 2010 18:42 #363696 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Curious about ticking noise
Sometimes a small exhaust leak, especially at the copper crush gasket area, is reported as making a ticking sound.

Usually not imminently serious, but is aggravating, and may start emitting some goo around the header clamps which migrates from there.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Apr 2010 18:42 by Patton.

More
27 Apr 2010 19:20 #363708 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Curious about ticking noise
Guess for ticking:

1) valve

2) low octane gas

3) exhaust leak

If an exhaust leak, it will get a lot louder as you open the throttle.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• KZ1000CSRman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Apr 2010 13:11 #363877 by KZ1000CSRman
Replied by KZ1000CSRman on topic Curious about ticking noise
What I hear is not loud. I can hear it when I start up the bike, but after riding it, it seems to go away. The noise itself sounds like it is dry inside somewhere. Yes, it has oil in it and does not leak. I also used premium gasoline. The guy that I bought it from said he adjusted everything to spec, including all new hoses and all clamps tightened.

The only other thing besides the ticking sound, when I ride, there is a misfire every now and then. Especially after I let off the throttle to slow down. I can hear a few popping noises. Could the ticking sound have something to do with the misfire?

'82 KZ1000 CSR

More
28 Apr 2010 13:33 - 28 Apr 2010 13:35 #363881 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Curious about ticking noise
KZ1000CSRman wrote:

What I hear is not loud. I can hear it when I start up the bike, but after riding it, it seems to go away. The noise itself sounds like it is dry inside somewhere. Yes, it has oil in it and does not leak. I also used premium gasoline. The guy that I bought it from said he adjusted everything to spec, including all new hoses and all clamps tightened.

The only other thing besides the ticking sound, when I ride, there is a misfire every now and then. Especially after I let off the throttle to slow down. I can hear a few popping noises. Could the ticking sound have something to do with the misfire?

What I hear is not loud. I can hear it when I start up the bike, but after riding it, it seems to go away. --- Could be consistent with small exhaust leak, where heat expansion is helping prevent the leak. But may be a valve tapping (also consistent), or some other source causing the ticking sound.

The only other thing besides the ticking sound, when I ride, there is a misfire every now and then. Especially after I let off the throttle to slow down. I can hear a few popping noises. --- Exhaust popping on deceleration can sometimes be reduced or eliminated by enrichening the pilot circuits a tad, using the pilot mixture adjustment screws.

Could the ticking sound have something to do with the misfire? --- I don't see a connection between the ticking with either a cylinder misfire or exhaust popping.

If not already done, would assure valve clearances are within specs.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Apr 2010 13:35 by Patton.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
28 Apr 2010 13:50 #363886 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Curious about ticking noise
the dreaded cam chain adjuster slap-tic-knok -etc?bj

• KZ1000CSRman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Apr 2010 14:02 #363890 by KZ1000CSRman
Replied by KZ1000CSRman on topic Curious about ticking noise
That helps a lot Patton. I will look into it. The deal is, it doesn't really bother me, but ever since I registered to this site, I am noticing things I didn't before. All the stuff I want to know about, I am sure they are not a big thing and there's really nothing wrong with the bike. And yes, I won't fix what is not broken either. It is, looks to me like, in good condition with nothing wrong. Maybe I am just getting paranoid. Well, I suppose I could always sell the bike if it really gets to my head.

'82 KZ1000 CSR

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
28 Apr 2010 14:38 #363899 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Curious about ticking noise
check and be sure ur plug wires are on good and tite as well.sometimes when they are a bit loose u will get a random misfire and an elec arc sounds like a tic as well.bj

More
28 Apr 2010 18:21 #363984 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Curious about ticking noise
2 places to start pending ticking or slapping sound....

1) Exhaust leak as mentioned... Now don't over torque these nuts.... Just synch them up a little... 10mm wrench or lightly with a socket/ratchet.

2) Perform the timing chain adjuster procedure in your manual...

If problem is still present, then stethoscope for exactly where the sound is being generated...

Example, could be some old RTV ball bouncing up in the valve cover... Could be a loose top idler assembly bolt and your hearing the vibration or tapping on the cover itself.

Just a few to come to mind... Is the sound lower or top end of the engine...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
28 Apr 2010 18:23 - 28 Apr 2010 18:23 #363987 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Curious about ticking noise
ticking???

must be an old school kawi...

they tick...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 28 Apr 2010 18:23 by trianglelaguna.