Adjustable cam sprocket replacement with stock

More
30 Mar 2010 19:35 #357342 by 6leafclover
well I started tearing down my top end for the first time today and I found a very nice set of andrews cams under the valve cover. the bad thing is idler sprocket went bad and made the chain chew up the intake cam sprocket on one side. the question is can i put a set of stock sprockets that i already have on the cams with no ill effect? the chewed sprocket is an adjustable kind thats why im asking.

1979 KZ1000-E1/ST
Madison, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2010 20:18 #357352 by PLUMMEN
make your own B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
30 Mar 2010 20:42 #357359 by 6leafclover
Replied by 6leafclover on topic Adjustable cam sprocket replacement with stock
That very well may be how the ones on in got to be adjustable, they look identical to the spare stock sprockets i have just adjustable. I have the cams out already so i could just swap them if i dont really need the adjustability. what do ya think? also if i do happen to get another set of APE adjustable ones whats the easyest way to time them? Ive never used a degree wheel thats another reason for just wanting to put on the non adjustable set

1979 KZ1000-E1/ST
Madison, IN

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
31 Mar 2010 04:58 #357393 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Adjustable cam sprocket replacement with stock
If they're 1x or 2x Andrews, just bolt them in on stock sprockets. 110 lobe centers will work just fine.

Andrews called for 106 centers. However, degreeing the cams is not to be taken lightly. If you're not comfortable with doing it, either get the motor in the hands of someone who is or go with stock sprockets. :)

Make sure you get the correct sprockets.
There are 30 and 32 tooth sprockets. The 32's are for the MKII motors [16pin crank].

More
31 Mar 2010 12:15 #357476 by 6leafclover
im pretty sure they would have to be 1x or 2x i dont believe the motor is bored (will measure when i get the head the rest of the way off) and it always ran very very strong with stock carbs and even stock jetting so i wouldent think that the cams could be too radical. up untill now i thought the entire motor was stock, boy was i happy to find a set of andrews in there, too bad the spocket got thrashed. I will just bolt on the stock ones. now do i have to use both stock ones or can i leave the one adjustable one that is good and just change the chewed one?

1979 KZ1000-E1/ST
Madison, IN

More
31 Mar 2010 12:19 #357477 by otakar
I agree with Larry. Make sure that you have the right sprockets. You can do a lot of damage if you don't. I believe the ST is a MKII motor and the sprockets are not the same as the previous motors.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
31 Mar 2010 12:22 #357478 by otakar
6leafclover wrote:

im pretty sure they would have to be 1x or 2x i dont believe the motor is bored (will measure when i get the head the rest of the way off) and it always ran very very strong with stock carbs and even stock jetting so i wouldent think that the cams could be too radical. up untill now i thought the entire motor was stock, boy was i happy to find a set of andrews in there, too bad the spocket got thrashed. I will just bolt on the stock ones. now do i have to use both stock ones or can i leave the one adjustable one that is good and just change the chewed one?

You can mix and match between stock and adjustable. The cams will be marked at the end. Just pop off the rubber endcap on the head and you should be able to read it.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
31 Mar 2010 16:35 #357546 by 6leafclover
The spares I have are from a parts lot off another ST but i will count the teeth to double check. I found alot of other carnage today i got the head off and found that the longer bolt put in the tensioner by the PO was tightened down BEHIND the push rod and broken off so the chain was held really tight which i reckons what killed the cam sprocket. It also shot the rubber in all the other sprockets, bearings and roller shafts are fine but all the rubber is squeezed out and gone. also the chain slipped to the side of the tensioner roller and destroyed that whole thing. also the plastic chain guide on the front, all thats left of it is a screw and round piece with notches on the bottom :S im guessing its safe to say the chain is shot too even though it looks okay. here is a link to some good carnage pics!! s822.photobucket.com/albums/zz144/madtown88/KZ%201000/

1979 KZ1000-E1/ST
Madison, IN

More
31 Mar 2010 17:28 #357553 by keith1
boy do i know your pain.....been down the very same road.....to make a long story short, pull the head and put in a hd tsubaki chain....i didnt trust my standard cam chain with only 1k on it after what it had been through...although it was a testimonial to the neysayers about breaking and rejoining a cam chain...if done right it will hold up...i went with new liska front ,rear and top rollers as they are more hd and the chain tensioner is a sprocket instead of a roller.....i would pull the pan(easy)
and empty out the bits.....i run andrews 2x cams on stock sprockets as i am not comfortable with degreeing....degreeing can be a pain for what?3-5 horse max?.....good luck and get the wallet out...B)
here is what my tensioner looked like....
Attachments:

More
31 Mar 2010 17:33 #357554 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Adjustable cam sprocket replacement with stock
Don't let the title fool you.... Here's everything you need to know about degreeing in a set of cams....

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=451&Itemid=108

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
31 Mar 2010 17:43 #357557 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Adjustable cam sprocket replacement with stock
6leafclover wrote:

I'd put both on stock sprockets or degree both. Make sure you spray the bolts and cam bolt holes out with brake cleaner and use red locktite on the bolts.

I have a 1075 with 2x's, ported head and 29's in the shop right now with the cams on stock sprockets. It runs perfect!

More
31 Mar 2010 17:45 #357559 by keith1
larrycavan wrote:

6leafclover wrote:

I'd put both on stock sprockets or degree both. Make sure you spray the bolts and cam bolt holes out with brake cleaner and use red locktite on the bolts.

I have a 1075 with 2x's, ported head and 29's in the shop right now with the cams on stock sprockets. It runs perfect!

that combo sounds familiar....hhmmmmmm....:laugh: