Re-installing cams?

More
27 Mar 2010 14:20 - 27 Mar 2010 14:30 #356566 by polkat
Re-installing cams? was created by polkat
Bike is a 1982 KZ750H3-four cylinder. The manual I have is for a GPz. It says to align the front cam (exhaust) with the Z7EX mark. I understand the process, but this cam has several different markings similar to this, and I was wondering if a KZ uses one of the other markings? Or just stay with the Z7EX mark? (What are the other markings for?) And just stay with the "IN" mark on the intake cam?
Thanks!
Last edit: 27 Mar 2010 14:30 by polkat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2010 15:26 #356569 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Re-installing cams?
Might want to check here.

Just do it right the first time. No room for mistakes. Roy

www.wgcarbs.com/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
27 Mar 2010 17:15 - 27 Mar 2010 17:35 #356586 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Re-installing cams?
Went to that website. It says Downloads-Repository, but there's nothing else there and no links to go further??

Here's what I have so far....

This is the engine from the right side. The timing marks are set for "T" 1-4. The white dot on the exhaust cam is at the Z7EX mark (a line) that is even with the head flange. It represents pin 0. The two dots on the intake cam at the left are the 45th and 46th pins from the 0 pin. Between them is the "IN" line. It just says "IN" and nothing else.Note that there is also a Z7IN line on that cam, but my book says to just use the IN line!? This line is not exactly on the head flange because the intake cam is not torqued down.

Should I ignore the book and use the Z7IN line on the intake?

Am I right so far with this?
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2010 17:35 by polkat.

More
27 Mar 2010 18:38 #356608 by roy-b-boy-b
Let some riders with knowledge of this bike help you.

George changed servers and all the manuals are not up yet. Roy

More
27 Mar 2010 19:17 #356618 by polkat
Yep, that's why I posted. Thanks!

Anyone else?

More
27 Mar 2010 20:45 #356638 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Re-installing cams?
Hi polkat,

Last May I reinstalled my cams after changing some shims and used the FSM's procedure as you described. Are you using the KZ750-4, Fourth Edition Manual dated Dec 24, 1982? It's the yellow one with the GPz in the front.

I used their procedure as described and it came out fine. Almost screwed it up though. Got everything lined up, then checked it again when I tightened down on all the camshaft caps. It was just a little off and I debated with myself whether to change it, but once I did it was perfect...just like the picture in the book. I think I must have not gotten the camchain tight and the crankshaft on TDC when I set the exhaust shaft.

Good luck! Oh yeah, when you get around to adjusting the clutch, make sure you use the 1982 supplemental information in the back of the manual.

More
27 Mar 2010 21:08 #356642 by polkat
I believe that I have the manual you mentioned. Unfortunately, it is a copy of the manual, and the pics are too dark to see. Also, parts of the bottoms and tops of the pages were cut off, particularly in the cam pages. I went to the library today, but as I live in an area where they still ride horses and shoot flintlocks, the library had nothing.

The markings on the cam sprockets are a bit confusing. I think I have it right, but I'm not sure, and that worries me.

Do you know of any websites where I can download the cam install proceedure in clear, easy to see pages?

More
28 Mar 2010 02:32 #356669 by roy-b-boy-b
Bump.

Someone help this rider out, Please. :)

More
28 Mar 2010 04:37 #356672 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Re-installing cams?
If no one jumps in today, I'll see if I can't fire up the ol' scanner. Just exactly which pages (by number) do you need to see?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Mar 2010 07:10 #356681 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Re-installing cams?
Unless some one had unbolted the sprockets from the cams, looks like you would have it right. Take up the chain slack on the Exhaust cam, tighten it down to hold it into the bearings, make sure the mark is level with the gasket surface, then do your link count to the intake cam line as this will be correct when the valve cove with its snubber holds the chain tight between cams. All of the slack will come out when the tensioner is installed. Do a search through the archives here for more info as this is a common question, and only the # of links seems to very between displacements.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
28 Mar 2010 10:42 - 28 Mar 2010 13:41 #356727 by polkat
I understand the process as Motor Head describes it.

What I'm not clear about is the markings on the sprockets. Both sprockets have the same markings, including: Z6EX and Z6IN and Z7EX and Z7IN, as well as a line that just says IN. The intake cam sprocket has the bolts in a square hole while the exhaust cam has them in a bolt head shaped hole (why different?). In the Kawasaki book it says to set the intake cam at the IN (only) line, but I have been told by a bike mechanic that the Z7IN line is the one to use. Confused. Cam wise, it ran fine before I took it apart. Sure wish I took a pic first.

Unfortunately, my Kawasaki book is only a copy, and has the pages cut off in that section and is not clear with pics too dark to see.

Here is what I am presently set at......

The exhaust is on the right and the intake left. The markings used should be easy to see. With this setup, all the intake lobes are exactly 180 degrees opposite from their equvilant exhaust lobes. The No.1 cylinder appears to he just starting it's firing stroke and no.4 appears to be just about to take in it's mixture. Think I'm going to go with this. Anyone see a reason not to??
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Mar 2010 13:41 by polkat.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Mar 2010 16:05 #356779 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Re-installing cams?
Looks like you have the correct mark for the Intake cam, and I see you paint for the correct number of links from the Exhaust cam mark. If as I said the slack is out at the exhaust cam, then this looks correct. The timing is at #1 valve over lap and not at #1 firing position. If you get this wrong it will affect your coil pickup wiring. It will try to fire the wrong coil/ spark plugs. Of course you can move the wires for the pickups at the coils.
Let us know how it goes.
I just got my 2 KZ's out today after the winter- ear to ear grin for sure!:cheer:

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...