smokin like hell

More
11 Mar 2010 17:09 #352787 by djcamp10
smokin like hell was created by djcamp10
well it's once again this time of year where my wonderful kz comes forth with another problem and i write ya'll veteran kz owners . so here it is at the end of last season she started to smoke like hell. so lets cut out some of the question post that are sure to follow.
1. its white smoke and lots of it
2. it doesnt go away even after 20-30 min of runnin and the amount of smoke greatly increase with increased throttle
3. when i pulled the exhaust pipe only one pipe smelled of fuel
4. it is a 77 kz650 b1

after hearing that my first guess is i could have a ring out but this is truly an uneducated guess at best. any ideas am i on the right path? any suggestions? must resolve said issue quickly i leave for iraq in 6 month and want to ride like hell till then

1977 Kz650 B1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2010 17:13 #352789 by djcamp10
Replied by djcamp10 on topic smokin like hell

1977 Kz650 B1
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2010 17:34 #352800 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic smokin like hell
without asking any more questions, i would venture your valve seals are shot.....just my .02.....more info will provide better answers....there are a lot of variables...

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
11 Mar 2010 17:36 #352801 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic smokin like hell
i would fill the tank with some 92 octane and run some seafoam through it.

Hope you done have a bad ring, if you did it would run like shit.

What does the smoke smell like?
If it is oil smoke you prolly have oil leaking past your valve seals from sitting all winter.....

someone else will chime in im sure but thats my thoughts on it.

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

More
11 Mar 2010 19:09 #352826 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic smokin like hell
I think it's trying to trick you into selling it to someone who will replace the handlebars and seat. :woohoo:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 Mar 2010 19:14 #352827 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic smokin like hell
It's the seat and apehangers

More
11 Mar 2010 19:38 #352831 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic smokin like hell
:woohoo:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2010 19:42 #352832 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic smokin like hell
djcamp10 wrote:

well it's once again this time of year where my wonderful kz comes forth with another problem and i write ya'll veteran kz owners . so here it is at the end of last season she started to smoke like hell. so lets cut out some of the question post that are sure to follow.
2. it doesnt go away even after 20-30 min of runnin and the amount of smoke greatly increase with increased throttle

sounds like blow by the rings

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Mar 2010 03:39 #352845 by djcamp10
Replied by djcamp10 on topic smokin like hell
wow rough crowd last night lol but it is what it is i enjoy it i'm the one thats got to ride it but any who the exhaust smells like fuel. valve seals should be in pretty good shape as far as i know they were replaced 3 years ago. how do i go about narrowing this down to which wonderful obscure part to replace (so far i got could be the seals, blow past the rings, and seat and handle bars) note i've eliminated the seats and handle bars by disconnecting them from the flux capacitor

1977 Kz650 B1

More
12 Mar 2010 04:35 - 12 Mar 2010 06:09 #352851 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic smokin like hell
djcamp10 wrote:

wow rough crowd last night lol but it is what it is i enjoy it i'm the one thats got to ride it but any who the exhaust smells like fuel. valve seals should be in pretty good shape as far as i know they were replaced 3 years ago. how do i go about narrowing this down to which wonderful obscure part to replace (so far i got could be the seals, blow past the rings, and seat and handle bars) note i've eliminated the seats and handle bars by disconnecting them from the flux capacitor

If not already done, would ---

Confirm combustion in all four cylinders by spraying water mist onto exhaust header from running engine. Should immediately sizzle and burn off.

Assure proper fuel levels in float bowls via clear tube test.

Determine whether excessive oil vapor is escaping from crankcase breather vent while engine is running.

Perform compression test.

Repeat compression test on each cylinder after adding a teaspoon of oil into combustion chamber.

Perform leakdown test. Including whether compressed air is escaping from the crankcase breather vent, which indicates blow-by past rings/piston into crankcase.

Assure air filters are clean and not over-oiled or otherwise blocked. Reportedly, some cheaper units may partially obstruct the smaller hole at entrance to pilot circuit air intake passage.

Sniff-test crankcase oil and examine its physical condition to determine whether it has been contaminated with fuel. This will cause exhaust smoking. If in doubt, change both oil and filter.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Mar 2010 06:09 by Patton.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2010 04:53 #352855 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic smokin like hell
djcamp10 wrote:

3. when i pulled the exhaust pipe only one pipe smelled of fuel
4. it is a 77 kz650 b1

after hearing that my first guess is i could have a ring out but this is truly an uneducated guess at best. any ideas am i on the right path? any suggestions? must resolve said issue quickly i leave for iraq in 6 month and want to ride like hell till then

IF you were close by, I'd help you fix it for free! Keep your head down over there! Be safe and come back home!

More
12 Mar 2010 05:18 #352866 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic smokin like hell
what do the plugs look like? black sooty, fuel could be from a miss fire problem also.
wet and oily, rings.

bet the 1.21 gigawatts did it:woohoo:

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob