Checking valve clearances with the head off?

More
25 Feb 2010 19:02 - 25 Feb 2010 19:07 #350176 by polkat
My 750-4 head is off right now for an upper rebuild. Is there any reason why I can't install the valve assemblies, buckets, shims, and cams with the head off and check my valve clearances? I can't see any difference with turning the cams be hand instead of the cam chain.

And should the noses of the lobes be 180 degrees away from the buckets when doing measurements?

Finally, is there a problem with swapping the shims around to bring clearances closer to stock? Thanks!
Last edit: 25 Feb 2010 19:07 by polkat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2010 19:16 - 25 Feb 2010 19:18 #350180 by Jack
Your questions are pretty easy to answer.
Yes. Remember ONE cam at a time
Yes.
No problem.Cuts down on $$ shim inventory required.

If I can do it you can. Get a good manual, good luck.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B
Last edit: 25 Feb 2010 19:18 by Jack.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
25 Feb 2010 19:21 - 25 Feb 2010 19:22 #350182 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Checking valve clearances with the head off?
I'm not sure of the procedure for a 750 but I don't think that it would be a problem. The FSM for a 1000 says to line up the marks on the intake cam sprocket with the valve cover and measure the two that have clearance, then turn the crank 1 turn which results in half a turn on the on the cam and repeat for the other two valves. Then do the same on the exhaust side.

As for swapping the shims...Swap away! The one time you won't get in trouble for swapping!:laugh:

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
Last edit: 25 Feb 2010 19:22 by testarossa.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
25 Feb 2010 19:28 #350184 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Checking valve clearances with the head off?
You can use a large flat screw driver to rotate the cams.
Place a piece of towel down on the front or rear edge of the head, then you can wedge the driver in the cam gear and pry the cam gear upward a notch at a time.
Towel preventing damage to gasket surface of course.

GL

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
25 Feb 2010 19:33 #350187 by gane
Polcat, I always do a "bench adjust", simply because it's so much more "comfortable'. BUT.. I also find that upon assy typically 1 or 2 clearances have shifted. re-check... 2nd, simple lobe away measurements vary. the base circle on cams can vary.. while some manuals rec. checking clearances for multiple valves/cyls at single crank positions, I check/set 1 cyl at a time. per cyl at TDC. and set to the loose side of spec. cleanliness is important!!! once you think your' done, rotate crank a half dozen times & re-check. luck

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

More
25 Feb 2010 20:00 #350197 by wrangler615
Replied by wrangler615 on topic Checking valve clearances with the head off?
I agree with gane. I do a bench adjust first, then double check after torqueing the head down. Inevitably a couple will change with the tightening down. They are a pain to do on a 750-4, but with a little practice I was knockin it out pretty easy. The trick is to measure all of them at once, write them down, and adjust them all at once. That way you only have to take the cams loose once, hopefully. I also found that using a paint marker to dot the cam and chain makes lining them back up a snap. Just keep tension on the crank end of the chain so it can't slip there.

my .02

83 Kaw KZ750F1 - massive money pit
82 Zuki GS1100G - my daily driver, possible sacrilege I know

More
25 Feb 2010 21:07 - 25 Feb 2010 21:09 #350214 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Checking valve clearances with the head off?
There can be slight variances in clearance from "no chain" to "chain installed and torqued down". It's because the camshaft has some up/down play and the chain will keep the cam pulled down tight to the journals as compared to no chain on it. I have a couple of valves where the change is about .001" to .002" because of the "chain pull" effect. I see the same variance if I reverse rotation and release chain tension when measuring.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Feb 2010 21:09 by bountyhunter.

More
26 Feb 2010 01:28 - 26 Feb 2010 01:33 #350233 by polkat
bountyhunter, let me see if I follow you. The clearance between the cam bearing journals and the bearing area is compressed downward by the chain tension, slightly changing the readings?

My manual says that cam to bearing clearance should be about .19mm, half of which should be about .095mm clearance all around the cam when it is spinning in a bed of oil, which will, of course, hydroplane it off the bearing surfaces.

So, if I torque the cams in and then push down on it while taking the readings, seems I should be able to get pretty close. Even if the cam did shift downward from chain tension, which I wouldn't have with the head uninstalled, seems that I'd get ever so slightly more clearance then wanted, which is better then slightly less.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2010 01:33 by polkat.

More
26 Feb 2010 05:15 - 26 Feb 2010 10:11 #350243 by OnkelB
Another advantage of bench shimming is that you can use a pair of quick grips to press the cams down while you install the cam caps - this takes a lot of stress off the cam cap bolt threads and minimizes the risk of stripping a thread.

As shown in the pic I also like to set the head on a couple of wooden blocks to raise it from the workbench - as you rotate the cam the valves will poke out beneath the head, if the head is flat on the workbench you risk bending a valve (might not happen, but better safe than sorry).

I find the easiest way to rotate the cam is to mount a cam sprocket bolt in the cam and use a 10 mm wrench.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2010 10:11 by OnkelB.

More
26 Feb 2010 09:47 #350278 by Tyler
polkat wrote:

bountyhunter, let me see if I follow you. The clearance between the cam bearing journals and the bearing area is compressed downward by the chain tension, slightly changing the readings?

My manual says that cam to bearing clearance should be about .19mm, half of which should be about .095mm clearance all around the cam when it is spinning in a bed of oil, which will, of course, hydroplane it off the bearing surfaces.

So, if I torque the cams in and then push down on it while taking the readings, seems I should be able to get pretty close. Even if the cam did shift downward from chain tension, which I wouldn't have with the head uninstalled, seems that I'd get ever so slightly more clearance then wanted, which is better then slightly less.

I have bench shimmed a head on my 650. I checked it after I installed it and ran the engine for for a short ride down the street and found the identical clearences as I did on the bench. I wouldn't worry too much about dynamic oil film or can chain force, you will be just fine shiming it properly off the engine. sincew I had ground the valves and setas I set the clearences up near the top end and tried to get them all within a thousandth. That gives me some room as the valves fin thier new home in the seats.

Just my 2 cents.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
26 Feb 2010 10:44 #350283 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Checking valve clearances with the head off?
polkat wrote:

Does on mine, I have two shims that will change about .002 by releasing chain tension. I checked cam journal clearance and they are in spec.

polkat wrote:

I think you want spec clearance with the thing installed and torqued down, and chain pulling down the cam which will close down the clearance a bit compared to "no chain" reading.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
17 May 2010 07:19 #368496 by fast_johnny
Replied by fast_johnny on topic Checking valve clearances with the head off?
I remember a shop in San Francisco, KC Engineering I think, where the owner was a KZ nut and he did a great job of bench shimming. He used an old KZ cam that was cut in half so he could bolt it in and check clearances without having to compress the valve springs on the open valves. I am about to do the same with the old cams that came out of my KZ as I won't be needing them anymore...

1977 KZ1000A1 1075cc, Kerker, Cavanaugh Head, RS34s
1995 KZ1000P