Clutch won't disengage

More
22 Feb 2010 16:05 #349676 by KZCool
Clutch won't disengage was created by KZCool
I recently had my clutch cable break on my 76 kz750 when I was on a ride. I got it disconnected until I could pull it enough to get it into neutral. While pushing it about a half mile home I tried to start it in first and just crawl home like that. Of course it wouldn't work and no that I have a new cable on, the clutch won't disengage. I have tightened it, adjusted the clutch bolt, everything hat the manual says. My next step is to take the right engine cover and hope to fix it. Any thoughts before I start draining the oil? Its a 2 cylinder by the way.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
22 Feb 2010 21:26 #349725 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Clutch won't disengage
Put it on the side stand and none of the oil should come out if you decide to tear off the clutch cover.

Pull the mechanism/adjuster cover off and make sure that everything is engaging properly behind there first.

Good luck!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
23 Feb 2010 09:47 #349790 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Clutch won't disengage
If the clutch was working with the old cable, it will work with the new so no need to get into the oil. I'll assume the same basic operation of other Kawasakis. Pull the lever, pulls the cable, pulls the release mech arm which is a worm gear. The worm gear moves in as the arm rotates pushing the pushrod through the engine disengaging the clutch. So it's all mechanical in nature and all you should have to do when installing a new cable is to adjust the cable adjusters. If the adjusters on the cable don't do it, take the cover back off and look at what you may have done wrong. Pushrod not seated, cover not seated, cable not hooked up to the release ect.
Another thing, don't push your motorcycle from a broken cable. Not necessary. Just put it in neutral, start the engine, paddle up to 1mph, step down to first gear and go. From there you can shift through all the gears, just let off the throttle slightly, shift and you can ride 95% like normal. Shift down the same way and as you're still rolling shift up into neutral to stop. I've ridden many a mile with a broken cable over the years.:)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Feb 2010 10:05 #349793 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Clutch won't disengage
Yes all riders should learn to ride with out a cable. I rigged one to a shortend broom handle and used it for a few days once. It also might have broke becasue it would not disengage. Smoething might be stuck. Dont try to force it...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
23 Feb 2010 11:38 #349817 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Clutch won't disengage
Russ Jackson wrote:

Smoething might be stuck. Dont try to force it...Russ

How many times have I learned that lesson the hard way! And yet...I always seem to forget it...:P

More
24 Feb 2010 13:43 #349958 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic Clutch won't disengage
I have already taken off the clutch cover, aligned everything, adjusted the cable and clutch screw, the cork-screw mechanism works fine. and it pushes he push rod in no problem. if I use the kick start to move it a little and try to push the rod i as far as it will go, it starts to knock on something if I continue to screw it in. So I know everyting up to te rod is working. Im guessing somehow the small metal ball that is supposed to be there to stop the clutch-rod is gone somehow. Thats why I'll probably take h RIGHT cover off when it warms up.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
07 Apr 2010 14:11 #359052 by KZCool
ok, so I took off the right cover and tokk out all of the pads. they all look good and verything is fine. nothing is locked up as far as the pads, but I dont have the specialty tools to take off the next cover part. Could it work if I was to hold in the clutch as far as itll go and try and start it in first? I feel like that could break loose the clutch from the drive.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
07 Apr 2010 18:27 #359102 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch won't disengage
For clutch push rod adjustment, some bikes screw in clockwise until lightly seated, then out 1/4~1/2 turn counterclockwise, before tightening the locknut. For example, Z1 and KZ900.

Other bikes are the opposite, and screw counterclockwise until lightly seated, then 1/4~1/2 turn clockwise, before tightening the locknut.

I don't know what the particular bike in question calls for, but would follow the FSM. The instructions in some aftermarket manuals are reportedly incorrect.

In any event, wouldn't hurt to attempt the "reverse" adjustment method, and see what happens.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Apr 2010 05:53 #360306 by KZCool
thats the thing, ive tried all that. Ive cranked it in as far as it would go, Ive barely put it in, the push rod always pushes in, and when I had the side cover off, it moved he clutch pads fine. I think Im gonna close her up put oil in it and pop it into first from neutral with the clutch in and se if it breaks her loose.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2010 04:34 #360781 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Clutch won't disengage
Are you sure you have the correct cable?

Clutch cable swaps are generally not a major issue.

More
15 Apr 2010 05:39 #360788 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch won't disengage
KZCool wrote:

thats the thing, ive tried all that. Ive cranked it in as far as it would go, Ive barely put it in, the push rod always pushes in, and when I had the side cover off, it moved he clutch pads fine. I think Im gonna close her up put oil in it and pop it into first from neutral with the clutch in and se if it breaks her loose.

Where clutch is properly assembled and adjusted, yet fails to fully disengage, would disassemble clutch basket, thoroughly clean all plates (acetone works), lightly sand linings and steel plates with fine sandpaper, and reassemble.

This ought to remove whatever is causing the stickiness between the clutch plates.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Apr 2010 16:47 #361524 by Joe Fabulous
Replied by Joe Fabulous on topic Clutch won't disengage
KZCool wrote:

thats the thing, ive tried all that. Ive cranked it in as far as it would go, Ive barely put it in,

What do you mean 'I've cranked it in as far as it would go'? With the clutch fully assembled, cable, cases etc, the cable should be backed off fully and the slack taken up on the adjustment screw in the left hand engine case, screw the bolt up until it just touches the push rod and then back off 1/4 of a turn, then take up the slack on the cable. You shouldn't move the pushrod at all with the adjuster, only up to it. Unless you have already looked I would check the pushrod for straightness, I can only guess that the case has been fitted slightly out of line and when you have pulled the clutch in the rod has bent and then stuck holding the clutch open. Either that or the worm gear isn't sat in the engine case squarely.

2004 Harley Davidson Softail
1981 Z1000 Chop
1982 KZ1100 A2
XS 650 Plunger Chop (in bits)