Clutch won't disengage

More
18 Apr 2010 17:43 #361534 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic Clutch won't disengage
ive done it wit slack, with 1/4 turned in, in quite a bit, and a lot. it pushes the clutch case out just fine, so I guess it has to do with the pads sticking together. I took them all apart once but ill do it again if itll help. By the way, anyone know what the size of the lock know that goes on is. i lost mine lol

1976 KZ750 hardtail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2010 00:49 - 27 Jul 2013 15:09 #361608 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch won't disengage
KZCool wrote:

ive done it wit slack, with 1/4 turned in, in quite a bit, and a lot. it pushes the clutch case out just fine, so I guess it has to do with the pads sticking together. I took them all apart once but ill do it again if itll help. By the way, anyone know what the size of the lock know that goes on is. i lost mine lol

kawasaki.com parts diagram for clutch shows 8mm for the lock nut that fits on the pushrod adjustment screw.

And shown to be "active" (a part still available at dealers through KHI) and used on many models.

Could check with local hardware store for non-precious-metal variety.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Jul 2013 15:09 by Patton.

More
29 Apr 2010 13:28 #364212 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic Clutch won't disengage
thanks man. Ill probably just go with the hardware store lol

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
26 Jul 2013 01:22 #598328 by JonnyNY
Replied by JonnyNY on topic Clutch won't disengage
Did this ever get resolved? I'm having the SAME EXACT problem.

More
26 Jul 2013 07:45 #598341 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch won't disengage
I'm not familiar with how the 750 twin is set up, but it may be similar to my KZ650. On mine, the bottom of the clutch cable sheath fits into a hole in the left engine cover. It is possible to install a clutch cable with that sheath hung up on the outer edge of that hole instead of in the hole. If that happens, the clutch will not operate properly. If your bike is laid out in a similar fashion, make sure the bottom of the clutch cable sheath is seated properly in the hole. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 Jul 2013 09:44 #598356 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Clutch won't disengage

JonnyNY wrote: Did this ever get resolved? I'm having the SAME EXACT problem.

What bike? Do you have the owner's manual for it? Some new KZ riders don't realize it's hidden in a pull-down document case on the underside of the seat.

What direction are you turning the clutch release adjusting screw? Some manuals are ambiguous.
On some models you're supposed to turn it counterclockwise first, then clockwise.

More
27 Jul 2013 13:51 #598559 by JonnyNY
Everything is installed correctly.

More
27 Jul 2013 13:59 #598560 by JonnyNY
It's not an adjustment issue it's something with the rod that actuates the clutch or where it contacts the clutch. It's pushed all the way in and isn't disengaging the clutch. The plates move freely because you can check through the oil cap with a long skinny flat head and a flash light. I know I have to rip it apart to see whats up but I'm just looking to see if anyone has had this problem so I dont have to trouble shoot it myself.

Just so I'm clear everything is installed correctly and the rod is pushed in all the way and is adjusted properly if I pull on the cable nothing happens. The rod wont budge but I can pull it out freeely.

More
27 Jul 2013 14:46 #598565 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Clutch won't disengage
Sometimes the steel ball goes missing.